Sign in with
Your question

Flight sim X PC

Last response: in Video Games
June 8, 2010 10:06:31 PM

Hello,perhaps a fellow builder of flight sim pc's,or indeed someone in the know could enlighten a novice into how to build a decent pc from scratch to get the most out of Microsoft's flight sim X. There are so many blog's and forums, however I don't see any recent info for the current time June 2010 with all the new tech now available. Quality and functionality of componentry is important rather than looks etc. I have been looking at systems circa £1600.00 with the view of building something cheaper myself.

More about : flight sim

June 9, 2010 2:07:26 AM

The most important thing is CPU power, mainly GHZ.
Extra memory is good along with a strong video card.
It is horsepower that FSX NEEDS to run correctly.

Dual core is fine quad is better. The higher the GHZ the better off you will be.

I run it all of the time and have run it on several different systems.
June 9, 2010 9:14:18 AM

Need help to build the right PC to handle flight sim X and add on software with ease.So far I'm picking up that the simulation requires a fast CPU and the Graphics card should have a large onboard memory etc.I would like to utilise a 24" monitor, windows 7 64 bit, and I was originally looking at systems costing circa £1700.00 with the view of building something of the same quality for less and having the reward of doing it myself.I have seen many different blogs, however most of them seem to be really old and not necessarily taking advantage of newer technology etc
Related resources
June 9, 2010 9:31:48 AM

pat mcgroin said:
The most important thing is CPU power, mainly GHZ.
Extra memory is good along with a strong video card.
It is horsepower that FSX NEEDS to run correctly.

Dual core is fine quad is better. The higher the GHZ the better off you will be.

I run it all of the time and have run it on several different systems.

Thanks Pat, Yes I'm picking up on this sort of feedback with various blogs on the net etc, I should admit that I'm a complete novice and my aim is to build a PC from scratch with guidance from those in the know about equipment compatability etc.

I have already realised that there are many different alternative components out there, I'm basically looking to source all the right components to build a quality PC that would allow me to utilise FLIGHT SIM X and add on software to it's best potential. I do have reasonable technical ability, just never built a PC before. If someone could say itemise what I need to purchase to build a PC capable of this task then I would be most gratefull. I don't necessarily have to have a fancy case, or water cooling etc. I'm looking for quality, reliability and performance.

Thanks again for your help
June 9, 2010 9:59:24 AM

Hi,

I have a q6600 o/c 3.6ghz and it runs very well on my machine - have some additional software to enhance the experience (europe and USA scenery packs) and have purchased REX as well which is essential for realistic clouds and other improvements. I have found also that FSX runs better with an NVIDIA card over an ATI - this was an 8800gt vs an 4870x2 - you are right though FSX performance is very much improved with better/faster cpu and it will take advantage of multiple cores.

(My brother found that FSX ran better on Vista and XP over Win7 64bit)
June 9, 2010 1:12:34 PM

This next topics has been merged by Mousemonkey
  • Flight sim X JUNE 2010
    June 9, 2010 2:14:53 PM

Thank you for merging the topic's, my apologies I'm a newbee and this forum is relatively difficult to navigate with the sheer volume of people using it etc.
    June 9, 2010 2:19:19 PM

chiller said:
    Hi,

I have a q6600 o/c 3.6ghz and it runs very well on my machine - have some additional software to enhance the experience (europe and USA scenery packs) and have purchased REX as well which is essential for realistic clouds and other improvements. I have found also that FSX runs better with an NVIDIA card over an ATI - this was an 8800gt vs an 4870x2 - you are right though FSX performance is very much improved with better/faster cpu and it will take advantage of multiple cores.

(My brother found that FSX ran better on Vista and XP over Win7 64bit)

Thanks Chiller, It's quite interesting you mentioned the Vista/XP being a better operating system to use. I guess they developed the flight sim X software before windows 7, so I guess it makes sense. Does this then mean that I would also have a limit on the type of cpu's, motherboards one can use with Vista etc?

Learning everyday!

Cheers
    June 9, 2010 3:11:39 PM

Captainkosibay said:
    Thank you for merging the topic's, my apologies I'm a newbee and this forum is relatively difficult to navigate with the sheer volume of people using it etc.

No problem mate and welcome to the forum. :) 
    !