VX4400 - no longer provide driver?

I have the LG VX4400 phone, and my wife got me a data cable and software to
do customizations on my phone. But after doing some internet research, I'm
a little lost. Can anybody help?

1) She got me the 170-0789 cable...which it seems is the straight cable,
which it seems is not prefered. Seems most posts state I need to instead
get the 170-0783 cable for the VX10 instead. Is this correct?

2) She got me the Futuredial SnapSync and Snapdialer software...but it
seems she was even more mislead here. Seems the SnapSync doesn't even work
on the VX4400, and I don't need the snapdialer, since I won't be using this
as a modem. So, I think I need to return this also, since it's worthless.
Correct?

3) This is the one where I'm really lost. I think I want bitpim to do what
I want, but if I understand right, I still need to download a driver from
futuredial. But if I go to their website, I can't find a driver anywhere.
And links I've found on the internet are redirected to their support page,
which basically take me to their software update page -- with no downloads
for drivers. Has futuredial removed the drivers? Where can I find them?

Am I on the right track? If I swap out cables, d/l bitpim, d/l the driver
(where ever it may be found), will that get me started?

Thanks for any help.

David Kennedy wrote:
> 1) She got me the 170-0789 cable...which it seems is the straight
> cable, which it seems is not prefered. Seems most posts state I need
> to instead get the 170-0783 cable for the VX10 instead. Is this
> correct?

The 789 will work fine for making data connections. It will not
work for syncing and that kind of stuff.

http://bitpim.org/testhelp/lg4400-cables.htm

> 2) She got me the Futuredial SnapSync and Snapdialer software...but
> it seems she was even more mislead here. Seems the SnapSync doesn't
> even work on the VX4400, and I don't need the snapdialer, since I
> won't be using this as a modem. So, I think I need to return this
> also, since it's worthless. Correct?

SnapSync is somewhat more limited than the phone. They don't support
the 4400 because of the USB bug.

> 3) This is the one where I'm really lost. I think I want bitpim to
> do what I want, but if I understand right, I still need to download a
> driver from futuredial. But if I go to their website, I can't find a
> driver anywhere. And links I've found on the internet are redirected
> to their support page, which basically take me to their software
> update page -- with no downloads for drivers. Has futuredial removed
> the drivers? Where can I find them?

They moved the site contents around the other week. It now wants serial
numbers etc to download the drivers which is a crock since the
cables don't come with them. Call up their support and ask for the
drivers.

http://www.futuredial.com/support/download/S_download_home.htm

> Am I on the right track? If I swap out cables, d/l bitpim, d/l the
> driver (where ever it may be found), will that get me started?

http://www.rogerbinns.com/vx4400/vx4400faq.html
http://www.bitpim.org/
http://www.bitpim.org/testhelp/

Roger

Joe

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 01:16:43 GMT, "David Kennedy" <nospam@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>I have the LG VX4400 phone, and my wife got me a data cable and software to
>do customizations on my phone. But after doing some internet research, I'm
>a little lost. Can anybody help?
>
>1) She got me the 170-0789 cable...which it seems is the straight cable,
>which it seems is not prefered. Seems most posts state I need to instead
>get the 170-0783 cable for the VX10 instead. Is this correct?

Yes I am using that cable with LG VX4400 and it works fine. My OS is
XP Home

>2) She got me the Futuredial SnapSync and Snapdialer software...but it
>seems she was even more mislead here. Seems the SnapSync doesn't even work
>on the VX4400, and I don't need the snapdialer, since I won't be using this
>as a modem. So, I think I need to return this also, since it's worthless.
>Correct?
I never tried the SnapSync software, but I also have been told that it
won't work with the LG VX4400. BUT BEFORE you return it you may want
to go to the futurdial site and register. Futurdial has recently
started requiring you to register in order to download the USB drivers
and you need a software serial number to register.

>3) This is the one where I'm really lost. I think I want bitpim to do what
>I want, but if I understand right, I still need to download a driver from
>futuredial. But if I go to their website, I can't find a driver anywhere.
>And links I've found on the internet are redirected to their support page,
>which basically take me to their software update page -- with no downloads
>for drivers. Has futuredial removed the drivers? Where can I find them?

I am using bitpim with the Futurdial VX10 cable and it works fine.
You need to go to the Futuredial site, click on the support tab near
the top of the page, then click 'Downloads', then 'Drivers for USB
cables' this will bring you to a sign in page where you will need to
enter your e-mail address and software serial number, provided that
you have previously registered as I suggested above..

>Am I on the right track? If I swap out cables, d/l bitpim, d/l the driver
>(where ever it may be found), will that get me started?
Yes it will allow you to transfer your phone list, wallpaper and ring
tones between your PC and phone.

---
Joe
REMOVE "Adds" before e-mailing

Rob L wrote:
>> The packaging mentions that the cable is exclusively for use with
>> FutureDial software.

Well, they need to go to my local Fry's where half the cables say
that you can download the drivers. The others do not say that the
cables are for exclusive use with their software, just that the
drivers are included with their software.

If they are trying to do this then it is a monumentally stupid thing
to do. I will bring it up with them.

Roger

Finally got it all working, thanks to a user at howard forums for providing
a link. Here's the thread if anyone is interested:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=3553273

Thanks to all for the help.