Pro PC Gamers Have Elderly Chain-Smoker Bodies

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

in which case trolling and flaming should become a sports too

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Is gaming a sport? Depends on your definition of "sport". If all it requires is to be competing against someone else, then heck, even sandwich-making can be a sport if you're trying to do it faster than someone else.

Everyone will have their own definition of what a sport is. Mine excludes gaming, even though I do plenty of it. Then again, being a soccer player and having the view that sports require real physical effort, I don't even consider golf a sport (it's a game, but not a sport). Same with things like billiards (a favorite game of mine, but it isn't a sport). That's my view, and I'm sure everyone else will have their own.

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]Occupational? Doesn't an occupation suggest you do it "for a living"? I.E. you earn a living? LOL[/citation]

The gamers in the study DO make a living off of playing games, so it is an occupation.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Would I call gaming a sport um no. Then again I don't think darts and things of that nature should be considered sports either. TO me sports are a combination of both skill, and physical. If it severaly lacks one of those two compenants I don't consider it a sport.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
When something becomes a sport of a professional competition, it is no longer fun. I play games for fun not sport.

The same goes for physical sports, once it becomes professional or competition, it is no longer fun, it is just work at this point.

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
I would like to see a "normal" professional athlete take the mental exertion of a 14 hour tournament (when a high level of skill is required). I'm not saying NONE of them could do it but gaming is a mental battle not a physical battle. Many consider chess a sport but my heart rate and motor skills are much higher during a serious gaming session.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Sigh....you can call it a sport if you want, but I won't compare it to running in track or playing soccer(football), 'football,' or any other athletic sport. They should just stick with the title of E-Sports.

As for the differences, being an athlete myself I would say that it takes more determination to work out, and really push yourself to improve in sports. Where as the only pain in 10 hours a day of games is the boredom factor.

@nforce - It's funny you use the word "intellectual" and then group all athletes into the categories of muscle heads and steroid junkies. My schools track team is somewhere around 90 kids, and there are maaaybe about 3 or 4 kids I would call muscleheads. Don't take hard work and determination and call it excessiveness or drug use, it simply doesn't add up.

tcsenter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]My fitness level is just fine, ex military of 14 years and stay fit work out every day. Ive been PC gaming since the 1980s on the commodore Vic 20 thank you! Must be a slow news day Toms! Now back to some Battlefield BC2...[/citation]And you're not a professional gamer (e.g. someone who competes in organized competitions for prize money), which is what the study was about (and clearly stated in the news article). Maybe try to improve your reading comprehension skills in between your work-outs and gaming sessions?

G

I think the stress without physical exertion is detrimental to physiques. Under stress the body will do minimum where it can afford minimum leading to a deterioration in physical characteristics.

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
"perhaps this is the occupational hazard of the professional gamer who can spend around 10 hours a day in front of a screen"

only 10? i would have guessed at least 16.

captainnochords

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
It may be interesting to note that if professional gamers do increase their physical fitness, it may be beneficial to their other skills as well. Gaming is a very new sport, so optimum training regimens - physical or mental - are still developing with the sport. But for example, top level chess requires physical fitness - a major criticism of Vladimir Kramnik by his coaches was that he smoked and didn't exercise or eat well. He fixed those problems and went on to win the world championship. Perhaps there could be a parallel here?

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
The problem with "studies" is that anyone can launch them, despite a lack of qualifications or improper testing methods. They could've easily picked the 10 most out of shape gamers they could find to get the results they wanted.
The fact they are in poor shape does NOT come directly from professional gaming, but their own lazy habits. Playing a game for 8 hours a day doesn't prevent that person from exercising daily as well. The important fact is that they have the same mental prowess. A professional gamer with a healthy diet and regular exercise habits could clearly be on par with any other athlete.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Yes, yes.. .special pro gamers making it a sport. The people I play against from 8PM to 10PM every night before I go to bed, the people that never stop playing and I can never win against.

I call that, "having no life".

Status
Not open for further replies.