uglyjack

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Hi all who read this,
I just purchased an ASUS A7N8X-X to upgrade a much more out of date motherboard. I put my processor, heatsink, videocard and RAM in/on, this was done inside the case on the motherboard tray. When I powered up the fans on my PSU, HSF for proc., video card, and a case fan all began to spin. Also, the 'power' light on my mother board came on and remained on. It didn't enter POST or give me any beeps. The monitor clicked on like it was about to receive a signal but instead went to stand-by as though there was no signal. It would stay with fans spinning and the light on for as long as I didn't cut the power. So, next I pulled everything out of the case and connected motherboard, processor, video, and RAM to see what I could get without worrying about any kind of short. However, it did the same exact thing as when it was in the case.
I am out of ideas, if you have any leads let me know. Is there any chance the processor could be dead?
Here are my system specifications..
AMD Athlon XP 1900+
512 DDR 2100 non-ECC
Asus A7N8X-X
380 Watt TruePower PSU
If you want any other info let me know.

I am very open to ideas and help, thank you

----------------
Got it. After reading a few posts I decided to reset the CMOS. Booted up like a charm. Thank your for your time if you read and and sorry for taking up space with a silly problem.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by uglyjack on 09/12/04 09:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Did you connect the square 4-pin ATX12v plug from the power supply to the board?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

bosshoss

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2004
To my knowledge that mobo doesnt have a 4pin power connector, mine doesnt. If you have your old mobo and it still functions the first thing I would od is a process of elimination, first try ram, then vid card, then psu and continue until the only thing you have left is the new mobo. From then double check that you dont have any mounting screws shorting out the board and double and triple check you have the power switch, led, and reset switch wires in the proper places, if nothing after that then I would have to say you have a bad board.

<i> If the creator of the human body is "The Ultimate Engineer", why did he put a recreation site right next to a waste treatment area? </i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I can't really keep track of which boards use the 4-pin connector and which don't, I know that most newer boards have used it but some didn't.

Good summation of the stuff in the FAQ, another thing you might like to mention is that a system with CPU and nothing else installed should emit the NO-RAM warning beeps if the CPU and board are responding.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS