syntex72

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2004
Being fairly poor and all Im looking for a Motherboard to go with an AMD64 3000 CPU. I will be adding a ATI 9800 Pro Video card. What Im curious about is on board sound, see on the first computer I built I went nutz and bought the best of everything in the end I realised that the sound card was total over kill....I dont even know what the Midi player I have does?!? That being said I would like to get some advice on the best Motherboard for around $115.00. And to find out If on board sound is really worth it or not?

Im using this mostly for gaming; EQ and possibly EQ2.

Thank you

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
The <A HREF="http://castle.pricewatch.com/search/searchmc.idq?cr=vnf3-250&qc="VNF3"*+AND+"250"*+AND+@ctd+2&i=2&ct=Computer&c=Motherboard&mi=N&m=N" target="_new">Chaintech VNF3-250</A>, is a good MB with basic features. I personnaly still have it on my personal wishlist. Since I don't need HI-FI audio and I already got a FireWire PCI card. And this board got good reviews. It is a good overclocker too! And it's very cheap!

--
A7N8X / <font color=green><b>AMD Sempron 2800+</b></font color=green>
Kingston DDR333 2x256Megs
<font color=red>Radeon 8500 128Megs</font color=red> @ C:275/M:290

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
It's a bit ($10) over your budget, but the MSI K8N Neo is a good mobo with decent integrated sound. I have one running an A64 3200+ and have no complaints.

"It's too late now anyway. That song is stuck in my head and the only way to get rid of it is to blow it out. With a bullet!! - Carl

DrAmar

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Yup, MSI K8N Neo is pretty good.

Speaking of Asus, they SOOO deserve it.
I am currently frustrated trying to get some tech. support, which is, I now firmly believe, totatly non-existant.
I am just angry for all the time and money (They don't have a 800 number) i wasted on them.

Damn it, they are not some budget company, I paid a good premium for their deluxe motherboard.

I don't even believe in JEBUS!
Homer, you are on the flight to a remote island where you will be doing some missionary work.
SAVE ME JEBUS!!!!!!

El_Jefe_77

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004
Er, asus is not a good company.

just isnt. wasnt during the k6 era of computing at all, and really never changed. Made a few good boards for the XP systems, some hose on startup though still more than should.
To be honest, from an old computer hardware tech-at-a-retail job perspective, MSI gives less problems than asus ever did.

Funny thing about asus is that you can get better drivers from fansites than their own website.
Intel-Abit-Msi-Giga-Tyan... asus is way down the list from 100's of moments of bad experiences.
If you have one that works, great! :)

onesaint

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2004
agreed. my buddy does IT for disney and called them about testing a pci express motherboard from thier corperate services and Asus said they wouldnt help him. think of what thier thriughing out a disney contact...so screw em.

GA-7NNXP, XP3000+ Barton
1 gig corsair pc2700, 2 Maxtor 80GB SATA 150
1 Seagate 160 gig ATA 133,
Asus GeForce4 TI4800, Samsung 172X
D. VINE 4 Chassis (moded)