Corega + ASUS = short range?

Hi everybody,

I'm just starting off with wireless networks and I already have a big
problem, so I turn to you experts for counsel and advice. I just bought
a Corega wireless router (COR-BAR-AWLA-54) and an ASUS wireless LAN
adapter (WL-138G). They both work fine and I can connect to the Internet
without problems (I'm using the connection to write this post) except
for the fact that the operational range seems to be WAAAAY too short:
whenever I move the computer out of the room (approx. 20 feet away from
the router) the connection dies, even if the door is open. The wall is
not especially thick (about 5'') and there should'n be any lead in it :)

On top of that, the ASUS utility that comes with the card doesn't seem
to correctly report the strength of the signal: according to it the
signal is always 100%, even when the windows tray icon indicates a weak
signal and the connection clearly isn't working (i.e. I can't even ping
the router).

I really don't know what to do: I suspect one of the two devices is
defective, but there's no way I can determine which one. I wanted to buy
another wireless adapter for my other PC (I could then do a few
triangulations and determine whether there is a problem with the devices
or the walls are indeed made of lead) but now I'm not sure I want to do
it before I've sorted this out.

Can someone please help me solve this?

Thanks a lot,
E.

Where in the home is your router placed? For best results, it is
recommended that you place it a high as you can and near the center of
your home. Make sure the antenna (s) is/are vertical. Check your
router's config. menu and see if there is a section that allows you to
change your transmitting strength. If there is, adjust it according
to your needs. The utility that came with the card may allow you to
adjust to adjust your transmit power, too. Let us know how you fare.
Take care.

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 19:53:32 GMT, Don Eros <don_eros@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Hi everybody,

I'm just starting off with wireless networks and I already have a big
problem, so I turn to you experts for counsel and advice. I just
bought
a Corega wireless router (COR-BAR-AWLA-54) and an ASUS wireless LAN
adapter (WL-138G). They both work fine and I can connect to the
Internet
without problems (I'm using the connection to write this post) except
for the fact that the operational range seems to be WAAAAY too short:
whenever I move the computer out of the room (approx. 20 feet away
from
the router) the connection dies, even if the door is open. The wall is
not especially thick (about 5'') and there should'n be any lead in it
:)

Doug Jamal wrote:
> Where in the home is your router placed? For best results, it is
> recommended that you place it a high as you can and near the center of
> your home. Make sure the antenna (s) is/are vertical. Check your
> router's config. menu and see if there is a section that allows you to
> change your transmitting strength. If there is, adjust it according
> to your needs. The utility that came with the card may allow you to
> adjust to adjust your transmit power, too. Let us know how you fare.
> Take care.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try adjusting the power tomorrow, first
thing in the morning and then I'll let you know.

Thanks again,
E.

Doug Jamal wrote:
> Where in the home is your router placed? For best results, it is
> recommended that you place it a high as you can and near the center of
> your home. Make sure the antenna (s) is/are vertical. Check your
> router's config. menu and see if there is a section that allows you to
> change your transmitting strength. If there is, adjust it according
> to your needs. The utility that came with the card may allow you to
> adjust to adjust your transmit power, too. Let us know how you fare.
> Take care.

There's no way of adjusting the transmit power, either in the router or
in the adapter. Both antennas are in vertical position. The router is on
a table by the phone, while the computer sits on the floor, 20 feet away
from the router. This is so annoying.

Thanks a lot for your help Doug, I think I'll go back to the shop on
monday and see if they can test the devices.

E.