jabshire

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2004
I'm researching components for a new system and I'm not sure if I need to be concerned about command queuing. One of the guides I read indicated that it has to be supported by the HD controller in order for it to function. I'm considering a Western Digital SATA WD740GD /w tagged command queuing and an ASUS A8V Deluxe w/ VIA K8T800 Pro chipset. Neither ASUS or VIA's website mentions command queuing in the chipset info. Do I need to get a separate controller card to enable this feature? Thanks for any info.

RichPLS

Champion
Both the Intel ICH5R, the Sil 3124-1, the Sil 3124-2, and the Promise 20378 chipset support TCQ (Tagged Command Queuing) for use with SATA hard drives that also support it. Both the HDD and the chipset controlling it must support it in order for TCQ to be used.
I know the SATA2 spec includes command queing, and quite a few, if not most SATA chipsets support queing.

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!

RichPLS

Champion
From the benchmarks having tagged command queing definately speeds up system access. Whether your chipset supports it, do get the Raptor 74gig drives. They are fast.

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!

jabshire

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2004
TY for the info. I had to call ASUS tech support on an unrelated problem and they said the SATA controllers on all their boards support command queuing.