Chipset for Socket 939

forre

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2004
I wonder when we´re about to see a chipset for AMD socket 939 supporting PCI Express, DDR2 and FireWire 800?

jp03hplayer

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004
i think that amd has to change the proscessor itself in order to accept ddr2, so its not just the chipset thats stopping that...but i really want that pci express

forre

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2004
Yeah, maybe it's like that. Well, i suppose there is a big difference between DDR 400 and DDR2 533.. To be the best AMD should create a processor that can handle DDR2.. I hope they do soon :p

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
AMD does *not* need higher speed DDR2!! AMD needs lower latency DDR2!

There are some modules coming out that *can* runs CAS2...but they are rare (and need bogus voltage to attain that timing anyway).

NetBurst is very bandwidth dependent (anybody with a Dual Channel P4 system can test this by turning off dual channel and rerunning typical benchmarks). K8 is not bandwidth dependent (yet) (look at the performance differences between the S754 Newcastles and the S939 Newcastles...very little [meaning that their only difference, Dual Channel, isn't that necessary]).

The only reason I would see AMD wanting to go to DDR2 would be for their dual-core chips that WILL ACTUALLY NEED the extra bandwidth! By then (Q3/4 '05), LL DDR2 should be somewhat available.

DDR2 has many great qualities (lower voltages leading to lower temps, higher bandwidth, higher memory density sans performance loss [1GB sticks perform with 512MB sticks], and very high OCability so far), but AMD would lose performance if they switched now (not that they even could...they'd have to redo the ODMC [which is currently it's greatest strength]) and would be backhandedly giving money to Intel (Intel invested MILLIONS in DDR2, why would AMD switch and support their spenditures when it doesn't benefit themselves?).

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

endyen

Splendid
DDR400 is faster than DDR2 533, because of added latencies ( waiting times). Amd may not even bother with DDR2, since DDR3 is more promising, and is just around the corner.