Sign in with
Your question

"Unsupported device" after upgrade to XP

Last response: in Motherboards
September 14, 2004 10:37:54 PM

my friends asked me to upgrade their pos dell dimension 8100's from win me to xp. i actually have 3 of them sitting here. i wiped them all out and after the install there is one thing left in device mgr that says "Unsupported device". i checked all over the dell site but cant figure out what it is. the nic loaded, modem, audio, vid.... everything. same problem on all three. any ideas?

Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you.
September 15, 2004 1:45:30 AM

It took me 3 days to figure this one out on my father's Dell.

What you have to do is download the Dell Solution Center and install that. The "unsupported device" is actually a stupid easy access button on the pc (the "E" button under the power that I figured was the reset or something).

Anyway, the Dell Solution Center thing automatically starts up with Windows, but if I remember correctly, you can uninstall it afterward and still get it to keep the driver for the button (so that it doesn't have any yellow exclamations in Device Manager which bug me so much).
September 15, 2004 2:09:54 AM

oh geez, thats it??? i think i'll just leave it off. thanks for the reply. you must have been suprised when you read my post....

Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you.
Related resources
September 15, 2004 11:16:41 PM

You're welcome.

My father's computer actually ran problem free for about a year before I finally decided to sit down and figure out what the unrecognized device was.

So, there shouldn't be any problems if you just leave it the way it is.

I had to dig through Dell Support Forums for hours before I found the solution. I guess this just shows how much yellow exclamations in device manager get on my nerves...
September 16, 2004 7:32:06 AM

Without SP1, xp does not support usb properly. Install SP1, and see if the unsupported device notice goes away.
!