Gigabyte GA-7VT600 MOBO Problems

tilca

Distinguished
May 16, 2002
Hey Everyone,
I have a Gigabyte GA-7VT600-L Mobo I use for a HTPC.
For some reason it has stopped booting up. When I start the computer I either get a long beep and a blank screen, or I get a long beep, vertical color bars on my TV, and then I can hear the Windows XP start music.
I have an Award Bios, and I suspect it is my memory that is bad (per the long beep), but before I replace it, does anyone have any other ideas? I hate to buy memory if I don't have to.
There is also a possibility it is the mobo.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Tim

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I can't remember if the long beep is video or RAM, but since it appears to be booting with no display I'll have to guess video. Make sure the card is seated.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

tilca

Distinguished
May 16, 2002
Thanks Crashman,
I looked up one long beep for the Award Bios, and it is either Ram, or Motherboard.
I thought it was video also, but I'd like to make sure before I start buying stuff.
Tim

endyen

Splendid
Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've never had a stick of ram go bad. On the other hand, I have had a few via memory controlers go south. If your memory and graphics are bothe well seated, it is probably the chipset (mobo) that is failing. Try the ram in a different computer, just in case.

tilca

Distinguished
May 16, 2002
Hey Everyone,
I placed the ram and video card in another computer and they worked fine. I guess it is the mobo, so now I am out shopping for a new one. A cheap new one.
Thanks for the help