Doom 3 HUGE performance boost

Documented at many sites, other tweaks at <
http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Doom3/FPSVisuals.htm >

HTH

M.W.H

"Stan" <imnot@home.com> wrote in message
> Found this while looking for D3 maps.
>
> http://www.gamingforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=138237
>
> http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdoom/topic.asp?fid=5733&tid=1438663
>
> Just change your Doomconfig to
>
> seta image_useCache "1"
> seta image_cacheMegs "256"
> seta image_cacheMinK "20480"
>
> it doesn't seem to change the timedemo score, but it gives me an extra
> 20+ fps ingame.
>
> AMD 2600+
> 9600xt

"Stan" <imnot@home.com> wrote in message
> Found this while looking for D3 maps.
>
> http://www.gamingforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=138237
>
> http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdoom/topic.asp?fid=5733&tid=1438663
>
> Just change your Doomconfig to
>
> seta image_useCache "1"
> seta image_cacheMegs "256"
> seta image_cacheMinK "20480"
>
> it doesn't seem to change the timedemo score, but it gives me an extra
> 20+ fps ingame.
>
> AMD 2600+
> 9600xt

Also causes my sound to cut out at various points
Athlon XP2500, 9800 pro, 1Gb RAM, nForce2 chipset

According to Tweakguides.com:
image_cacheMinK [KiloBytes] - This setting determines the minimum size in KB
for precompressed image files to be loaded into the cache. To make sure most
image files can be loaded, and to also prevent a system crash when enabling
caching, select a value like 3072 to start with. Raising this setting may
improve caching, but it may also hinder caching if most textures are below
the size you specify, so don't just raise this value for the hell of it.

so YMMV.

3 month old news at least..

"Stan" <imnot@home.com> wrote in message
> Found this while looking for D3 maps.
>
> http://www.gamingforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=138237
>
> http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdoom/topic.asp?fid=5733&tid=1438663
>
> Just change your Doomconfig to
>
> seta image_useCache "1"
> seta image_cacheMegs "256"
> seta image_cacheMinK "20480"
>
> it doesn't seem to change the timedemo score, but it gives me an extra
> 20+ fps ingame.
>
> AMD 2600+
> 9600xt

Chingy

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004

nothing wrong with re-updating other users people are always looking to
tweak their system..

"bleeb" <nobleebspamh7@msn.com> wrote in message
>3 month old news at least..
>
> "Stan" <imnot@home.com> wrote in message
>> Found this while looking for D3 maps.
>>
>> http://www.gamingforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=138237
>>
>> http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdoom/topic.asp?fid=5733&tid=1438663
>>
>> Just change your Doomconfig to
>>
>> seta image_useCache "1"
>> seta image_cacheMegs "256"
>> seta image_cacheMinK "20480"
>>
>> it doesn't seem to change the timedemo score, but it gives me an extra
>> 20+ fps ingame.
>>
>> AMD 2600+
>> 9600xt

>Found this while looking for D3 maps.
>
>http://www.gamingforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=138237
>
>http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdoom/topic.asp?fid=5733&tid=1438663
>
>Just change your Doomconfig to
>
>seta image_useCache "1"
>seta image_cacheMegs "256"
>seta image_cacheMinK "20480"
>
>it doesn't seem to change the timedemo score, but it gives me an extra
>20+ fps ingame.
>
>AMD 2600+
>9600xt

What were the original settings? I spaced out and did not back up my
doomconfig. I have a 128MB 9700 card and these new settings don't
seem to benefit me.

Thanks

-pw
remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
(use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)

The games only been out 2 months idiot

bleeb wrote:
> 3 month old news at least..

Jusr delete or rename doomconfig.cfg and the game will generate a new one
when you start the game. You will have to do your controls again though, or
look in the new files for the original settings.

"pw" <***paulwilliamson@***spamcop.net> wrote in message
> >Found this while looking for D3 maps.
>>
>>http://www.gamingforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=138237
>>
>>http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdoom/topic.asp?fid=5733&tid=1438663
>>
>>Just change your Doomconfig to
>>
>>seta image_useCache "1"
>>seta image_cacheMegs "256"
>>seta image_cacheMinK "20480"
>>
>>it doesn't seem to change the timedemo score, but it gives me an extra
>>20+ fps ingame.
>>
>>AMD 2600+
>>9600xt
>

> What were the original settings? I spaced out and did not back up my
> doomconfig. I have a 128MB 9700 card and these new settings don't
> seem to benefit me.
>
> Thanks
>

> -pw
> remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
> (use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)

On 10/3/2004 10:22 PM Blahguy brightened our day with:

>Jusr delete or rename doomconfig.cfg and the game will generate a new one
>when you start the game. You will have to do your controls again though, or
>look in the new files for the original settings.

You can just delete the new entries, the entire lines; you don't have to
delete the whole file.

--
"...forged but accurate."

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

>Jusr delete or rename doomconfig.cfg and the game will generate a new one
>when you start the game. You will have to do your controls again though, or
>look in the new files for the original settings.

Thank you!!!