Will BIOS Be Dead in 3 Years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

[citation][nom]Computerrock1[/nom]Go BIOS! I fear that I will lose fine tuning ability with something like this.[/citation]

don't be afraid of the future... efi will not make it worse...

G

apple's had efi for how long? yeah it ain't that hard. mobo makers can sell a usb dongle efi to circumvent the bios.

ready4dis

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
This isn't the first time you brought up EFI, and it's not the first time you put out the exact same wrong information. The BIOS IS NOT THE LIMITING FACTOR FOR THE 2TB windows problems. If it was, nothing would be able to access a 2TB drive, clearly that isn't the case. There is no hard drive limit, there is simply a limit in the way partitions are handled. It has nothing to do with the bios, or the hardware. It's a software implementation issue. There have been workarounds for years, please stop putting out mis-information. If you really don't know anything about it, maybe you should let someone else post the news who has a clue.

Before you do any more news on the subject, please read up on MBR's and GPT's, and find out where the 2TB problem arises. It has nothing to do with the BIOS, nothing nothing nothing. I read news here all the time, and some of it is great, but spreading misinformation, when you've already been corrected isn't acceptable.

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
MBR has a limit of 2 TB. In order to have a >2 TB partition, you have to go GPT.

The 2 TB problem arises when trying to BOOT from a GPT partition using a BIOS, not reading one.

32-bit XP doesn't support GPT. 64-bit XP does.

All NT6 OSes (Vista/Server 2008/7/Server 2008 R2) support GPT.

ready4dis: So educate us: what are the workarounds that you say exist? Are they as haphazard as, say, using uncrippled PAE to address more than 4 GB of RAM using a 32-bit Windows OS?

Strider-Hiryu_79

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
really? so it'll be joining it's brethren in that special place in the sky? like the x86sx/dx math co-processor and removable/upgradable sram socket chips? *cries*

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]ready4dis[/nom]This isn't the first time you brought up EFI, and it's not the first time you put out the exact same wrong information. The BIOS IS NOT THE LIMITING FACTOR FOR THE 2TB windows problems. If it was, nothing would be able to access a 2TB drive, clearly that isn't the case. There is no hard drive limit, there is simply a limit in the way partitions are handled. It has nothing to do with the bios, or the hardware. It's a software implementation issue. There have been workarounds for years, please stop putting out mis-information. If you really don't know anything about it, maybe you should let someone else post the news who has a clue.Before you do any more news on the subject, please read up on MBR's and GPT's, and find out where the 2TB problem arises. It has nothing to do with the BIOS, nothing nothing nothing. I read news here all the time, and some of it is great, but spreading misinformation, when you've already been corrected isn't acceptable.[/citation]

Hogwash.

BIOS uses Master Boot Records (MBR) to boot from a drive. The MBR is 512 bytes of which 64 bytes is the partition table, 16 bytes to fully describe each partition's attributes, so you only have 8 bytes to point at each partition's location and size. Only 4 bytes of that can be used to point at each partition's beginning sector. Four bytes is 32 bits, so you can address 2**32 sectors and (2**32)*512 bytes (since there are 512 bytes/sector) = 2.2 E12 or about 2 TB (maximum addressable disk size and also partition size since 4 bytes is also allowed to describe each partition's size with BIOS and MBR).

It's a very cut and dry 2TB limitation baked into BIOS. I discovered this rather painfully with my last build when I tried to use a single 6Tb array. Quite disappointing.

Now once you have booted from a 2TB or smaller partition using windows/macos/linux/name your bootloader you can use software to mount a GPT partition that exceeds 2Tb. You still cannot boot from a partition greater than 2Tb. There's nothing to argue about here, try it and find out for yourself.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
So the whole issue is not been able to BOOT from a 2TB or greater drive?

who cares!

as long as I can access thid drives as data/multimedia drives.
I got 2 2TB working just fine (not as boot drives) just for storage.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I don't understand the need for the change? All I read was the 2TB limit. The current state of the BIOS performs well if not perfect. It was designed from the ground up to be super simplistic to make changes, not some colorful, over-exaggerated piece of, whatever you want to call it. Big circles and color... what!?

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]uh_no[/nom]who in their mind would install their OS on a 2TB+ partition?????there is little reason for the switch[/citation]

It is good to have a giant partition for the OS :) so over time when you load the drive with 2TB of important data and a virus infection comes along and destroys that partition, you will be happy that you had all of your eggs in one basket. :)

From my experience with infecting one of my test systems (when I get a support call over the phone and I am scheduled to head over to the customers house at a certain time, if I have enough time, and I know which infection they have, I will grab a copy of the infection from offensive computing and infect my system with it so I will have an idea of what I am dealing with (this saves me and the customer time when I actually go over to fix their system). Most destructive infections will generally limit them self to the partition in which the OS is installed

iseek

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
This is like asking whether Windows 7 will be dead in 3 years. Surely it might! But there will be Windows 8 or whatever coming. Even if BIOS changes to uEFI, they both do the same thing and are maintained by same engieers and companies. What's the point preaching the death of the BIOS? If you tell me there will be no need for either BIOS or uEFI in 3 years, then this will be a big news!

Status
Not open for further replies.