Problem with video editing

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
I know this will is not the right place to post this, but no one ever posts in the video editing section.

Im using a winfast xpert2000 TV card on a 2.4Ghz P4b with 512Mb of PC3200 and a WD 80gig special edition hard drive. When I try and record I get quite a lot of dropped frames or the sound is out of sink.
Ive tried recording in various formats availiable such as DVD and MPEG2, I dont want to comprimise on quality because im recording my holiday video.

My question is shouldnt my computer be fast enough to record in MPEG2 optimal quality without any dropped frames? Can someone suggest a format that will not reduce quality but will not have these problems?

pat

Expert
Please list your mobo/sound card/video card/ide drive type/controller

That might help us a bit.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Abit SR7-8x (SiS648), Videologic Sonic Explosion DVD edition, GeForce4 Ti4200, 80Gig WD special Edition. Windows 2000 service pack4, all latest drivers for motherboard video and sound.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your computer might not be fast enough for that weak card to record at high resolution. It's a software compression card and uses around 100% of your CPU power to compress the video on-the-fly at higher resolutions.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You could just make SVCD's. The quality of SVCD's is about the same as broadcast TV.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
I think ive managed to sort it out now, when i turned up the maximum bit rate it seemed to record better. I dunno why this is but perhaps its because the CPU has to do less work trying to keep the video smaller in size.

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Im still getting slight problems with the sound going out of sync after a while. Do you reckon it would be worth trying to get the TV card to work on my main system (P4@3.25Ghz, 512Mb PC4000, 2x7200.7's in RAID0)... would that be fast enough to record properly do u reckon?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd try it.

pat

Expert
Why dont you just get an ATI All in wonder card? I was able to record hires mpeg2 with my athlonXP 1700+ on a kt266a mobo with 512 megs RAM 3 years ago...

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
well I would if i had money to burn, but unfortunatly I have -74p in my account and only work 10 hours a week...which just about covers my alcohol expenses.

I will try the card on my first system again.

TRENDING THREADS