Dust in my display

Last response: in Network Providers
August 13, 2004 8:01:04 AM

I've had my LG VX6000 for less than two months, and the front display is
filling with dust. It really hinders your ability to read the time when
outside, and looks just plain ugly all the time. Is this normal, or should
I go complain?

Horseface

More about : dust display

Anonymous
August 13, 2004 8:01:05 AM

Of course complain. The phone should be sealed enough or built in a way not
to allow friggin dust in it. This proves how shitty these damn things are
these days. Good luck with getting it fixed...if it's out of warranty with
Verizon don't expect any help from them at all.

"Horseface" <mammy-joe-gentry@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I've had my LG VX6000 for less than two months, and the front display is
> filling with dust. It really hinders your ability to read the time when
> outside, and looks just plain ugly all the time. Is this normal, or
should
> I go complain?
>
> Horseface

August 13, 2004 12:55:24 PM

Try walking into a verizon owned store where they do repairs. They cleaned
mine two different times for this issue.
Didn't charge me anything either.

"Killer Madness" <killermike@qwerty.com> wrote in message
> Of course complain. The phone should be sealed enough or built in a way
> not
> to allow friggin dust in it. This proves how shitty these damn things are
> these days. Good luck with getting it fixed...if it's out of warranty with
> Verizon don't expect any help from them at all.
>

> "Horseface" <mammy-joe-gentry@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I've had my LG VX6000 for less than two months, and the front display is
>> filling with dust. It really hinders your ability to read the time when
>> outside, and looks just plain ugly all the time. Is this normal, or
> should
>> I go complain?
>>
>> Horseface

August 13, 2004 2:03:29 PM

Killer Madness wrote:
> Of course complain. The phone should be sealed enough or built in a
> way not to allow friggin dust in it. This proves how shitty these
> damn things are these days. Good luck with getting it fixed...if it's
> out of warranty with Verizon don't expect any help from them at all.

Ok, (i'm an idiot but i have to ask -:) ) does your cable company
service out of warranty equipment for free?

-Quick
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 9:19:04 PM

No, though we replace old customer's equipment with new stuff if they ask.
Also, we don't require a customer to BUY the hardware. They can if they
want...they usually just lease it for a small price. So, we take care of ANY
customer that comes in with a hardware problem and they always walk away
with working equipment no matter what.

> Killer Madness wrote:
> > Of course complain. The phone should be sealed enough or built in a
> > way not to allow friggin dust in it. This proves how shitty these
> > damn things are these days. Good luck with getting it fixed...if it's
> > out of warranty with Verizon don't expect any help from them at all.
>
> Ok, (i'm an idiot but i have to ask -:) ) does your cable company
> service out of warranty equipment for free?
>
> -Quick

Anonymous
August 13, 2004 9:19:05 PM

So they are not *required* to buy but the alternative is to *lease*?

If a customer BUYs their equipment will you replace it with new
equipment for free?
If a customer buys their equipment and a couple of years later has
a problem will they walk away with working equipment for free?

-Quick

Killer Madness wrote:
> No, though we replace old customer's equipment with new stuff if they
> ask. Also, we don't require a customer to BUY the hardware. They can
> if they want...they usually just lease it for a small price. So, we
> take care of ANY customer that comes in with a hardware problem and
> they always walk away with working equipment no matter what.
>
> "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Killer Madness wrote:
>>> Of course complain. The phone should be sealed enough or built in a
>>> way not to allow friggin dust in it. This proves how shitty these
>>> damn things are these days. Good luck with getting it fixed...if
>>> it's out of warranty with Verizon don't expect any help from them
>>> at all.
>>
>> Ok, (i'm an idiot but i have to ask -:) ) does your cable company
>> service out of warranty equipment for free?
>>
>> -Quick
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 5:11:24 AM

Nope, not required to buy any equipment at all with Comcast. Rarely do
people ever buy, since the technology changes so much it's really not worth
the customer to keep buying new equipment. Cable modems alone change on a
daily basis and there's only so much you can do with a firmware upgrade. If
a customer buys equipment and it is under warranty from the manufacturer
Comcast will certainly replace it with a new model no questions asked for
the customer. If the customer buys equipment and it's several years old and
out of warranty, Comcast will do anything in their power to keep them as a
customer. If keeping a customer meant giving them new hardware we would. We
don't squander about hardware or equipment...it's all about subscriber count
and keeping them happy. Being a cable company we rely on our subscribers to
keep us rolling, not termination charges and expensive hardware. And don't
tell me Cellular phones are more expensive then HDTV cable boxes. A
wholesale price for an HDTV cable box with optical/digital/DVI connections
cost in the area of $425. Some thing Verizon Wireless will eventually
discover when another network is built better then theirs. I've seen
customer service manager's give customer's free service for an entire year
because of multiple problems with the service. Hey, if it's our fault, we do
everything we can to make it right. I live in an area where it's Comcast and
I've been lucky to have never had any issues with outages or lack of
service. Cable TV rarely goes out anymore unless you truly do have technical
problems or live in a MDU (multi-dwelling unit). That's a whole new story
for that one.

I don't work for customer service at all...I just know a lot about what goes
on since I handle and deal with all departments within the company. I'm a
working fellow just like everyone here, but I just expect more for my money
these days and have a hatred for Verizon Wireless's business practices and
fine print.

> So they are not *required* to buy but the alternative is to *lease*?
>
> If a customer BUYs their equipment will you replace it with new
> equipment for free?
> If a customer buys their equipment and a couple of years later has
> a problem will they walk away with working equipment for free?
>
> -Quick
>
> Killer Madness wrote:
> > No, though we replace old customer's equipment with new stuff if they
> > ask. Also, we don't require a customer to BUY the hardware. They can
> > if they want...they usually just lease it for a small price. So, we
> > take care of ANY customer that comes in with a hardware problem and
> > they always walk away with working equipment no matter what.
> >
> > "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Ok, (i'm an idiot but i have to ask -:) ) does your cable company
> >> service out of warranty equipment for free?
> >>
> >> -Quick

Anonymous
August 14, 2004 5:11:25 AM

KM...

Just curious. What do you do for them? Maybe you can help me with
a problem I'm having...??

"Killer Madness" <killermike@qwerty.com> wrote in message news:1ahTc.89366$Pu4.52390@fe36.usenetserver.com...
> Nope, not required to buy any equipment at all with Comcast. Rarely do
> people ever buy, since the technology changes so much it's really not worth
> the customer to keep buying new equipment. Cable modems alone change on a
> daily basis and there's only so much you can do with a firmware upgrade. If
> a customer buys equipment and it is under warranty from the manufacturer
> Comcast will certainly replace it with a new model no questions asked for
> the customer. If the customer buys equipment and it's several years old and
> out of warranty, Comcast will do anything in their power to keep them as a
> customer. If keeping a customer meant giving them new hardware we would. We
> don't squander about hardware or equipment...it's all about subscriber count
> and keeping them happy. Being a cable company we rely on our subscribers to
> keep us rolling, not termination charges and expensive hardware. And don't
> tell me Cellular phones are more expensive then HDTV cable boxes. A
> wholesale price for an HDTV cable box with optical/digital/DVI connections
> cost in the area of $425. Some thing Verizon Wireless will eventually
> discover when another network is built better then theirs. I've seen
> customer service manager's give customer's free service for an entire year
> because of multiple problems with the service. Hey, if it's our fault, we do
> everything we can to make it right. I live in an area where it's Comcast and
> I've been lucky to have never had any issues with outages or lack of
> service. Cable TV rarely goes out anymore unless you truly do have technical
> problems or live in a MDU (multi-dwelling unit). That's a whole new story
> for that one.
>
> I don't work for customer service at all...I just know a lot about what goes
> on since I handle and deal with all departments within the company. I'm a
> working fellow just like everyone here, but I just expect more for my money
> these days and have a hatred for Verizon Wireless's business practices and
> fine print.
>
> "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > So they are not *required* to buy but the alternative is to *lease*?
> >
> > If a customer BUYs their equipment will you replace it with new
> > equipment for free?
> > If a customer buys their equipment and a couple of years later has
> > a problem will they walk away with working equipment for free?
> >
> > -Quick
> >
> > Killer Madness wrote:
> > > No, though we replace old customer's equipment with new stuff if they
> > > ask. Also, we don't require a customer to BUY the hardware. They can
> > > if they want...they usually just lease it for a small price. So, we
> > > take care of ANY customer that comes in with a hardware problem and
> > > they always walk away with working equipment no matter what.
> > >
> > > "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 14, 2004 5:18:26 PM

Internal network I work with...
gigs and gigs per second.

"Richard Ness" <richardno@damnspam.nessnet.com> wrote in message
> [...]
story
> > for that one.
> >
> > I don't work for customer service at all...I just know a lot about what
goes
> > on since I handle and deal with all departments within the company. I'm
> > working fellow just like everyone here, but I just expect more for my
money
> > these days and have a hatred for Verizon Wireless's business practices
and
> > fine print.
> >
> > "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > So they are not *required* to buy but the alternative is to *lease*?
> > >
> > > If a customer BUYs their equipment will you replace it with new
> > > equipment for free?
> > > If a customer buys their equipment and a couple of years later has
> > > a problem will they walk away with working equipment for free?

Anonymous
August 15, 2004 1:49:45 PM

OK...... That really 'helped'....
Let me rephrase the question.

What market (dept?) do you work in/for?
Maybe you know of, or could recommend
someone that COULD help me?

Or, at least point me in the right direction.
This is concerning dynamic/static IPs.

feel free to take this off-line

richard at nessnet dot com

"Killer Madness" <killermike@qwerty.com> wrote in message news:D PrTc.67518$RR.34058@fe32.usenetserver.com...
> Internal network I work with...
> gigs and gigs per second.
>
> "Richard Ness" <richardno@damnspam.nessnet.com> wrote in message
> > KM...
> >
> > Just curious. What do you do for them? Maybe you can help me with
> > a problem I'm having...??
> >

> > "Killer Madness" <killermike@qwerty.com> wrote in message
> > > Nope, not required to buy any equipment at all with Comcast. Rarely do
> > > people ever buy, since the technology changes so much it's really not
> worth
> > > the customer to keep buying new equipment. Cable modems alone change on
> > > daily basis and there's only so much you can do with a firmware upgrade.
> If
> > > a customer buys equipment and it is under warranty from the manufacturer
> > > Comcast will certainly replace it with a new model no questions asked
> for
> > > the customer. If the customer buys equipment and it's several years old
> and
> > > out of warranty, Comcast will do anything in their power to keep them as
> > > customer. If keeping a customer meant giving them new hardware we would.
> We
> > > don't squander about hardware or equipment...it's all about subscriber
> count
> > > and keeping them happy. Being a cable company we rely on our subscribers
> > > keep us rolling, not termination charges and expensive hardware. And
> don't
> > > tell me Cellular phones are more expensive then HDTV cable boxes. A
> > > wholesale price for an HDTV cable box with optical/digital/DVI
> connections
> > > cost in the area of $425. Some thing Verizon Wireless will eventually
> > > discover when another network is built better then theirs. I've seen
> > > customer service manager's give customer's free service for an entire
> year
> > > because of multiple problems with the service. Hey, if it's our fault,
> we do
> > > everything we can to make it right. I live in an area where it's Comcast
> and
> > > I've been lucky to have never had any issues with outages or lack of
> > > service. Cable TV rarely goes out anymore unless you truly do have
> technical
> > > problems or live in a MDU (multi-dwelling unit). That's a whole new
> story
> > > for that one.
> > >
> > > I don't work for customer service at all...I just know a lot about what
> goes
> > > on since I handle and deal with all departments within the company. I'm
> > > working fellow just like everyone here, but I just expect more for my
> money
> > > these days and have a hatred for Verizon Wireless's business practices
> and
> > > fine print.
> > >
> > > "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

> they

Anonymous
August 15, 2004 3:57:03 PM

Killer Madness <killermike@qwerty.com> wrote:
> We have a know it all onboard here...some one who KNOWS everything because
> he's a *computer* buff or read some DOCSIS material online some where. We
> have many QOS updates that happen on a daily basis and some modems don't
> even take them, even with new firmware updates.

I've been working professionally with computers and modems for about nine
years, Binky. Exactly what changes can you make to a modem that can't be
made with a firmware update?

> upgrade takes care of all the problems, then you get on the phone with Cisco
> and Movaz and figure it out. We have many *dead* modems that aren't
> compatible with our network that are DOCSIS 1.1 above compliant

Hm, maybe you're using the wrong brand of cablemodem. I've never seen any
problems with the Motorola and Scientific Atlanta units that I've used. Cisco
is overpriced, anyhow. :)

> That's too bad your cable service goes out. Dude, why in gods name wouldn't
> you call if your service goes out?

uhhh... who said I didn't? What relevance does that have to the point at hand?
I used to work tech support. People who had problems, waited a week to call
about them and then complain about not having service for a week annoyed me...
I just politely pointed out that they needed to call in WHEN the problem
happened, and I do the same thing. But it doesn't matter. We were talking
specifically about reliability of cable networks, not whether I report
problems in a reasonable amount of time (which, FYI, I do).

>I can only speak for Comcast, which you
> have already indicated you do not have them...but jesus...if your service
> goes out call customer service. They'll even refund you if your service goes
> out for several hours at a time. It's actually dumb not to call...because if
> you really need a service call and some thing needs to get fixed it won't
> get done if you never call.

Charter happens to be the company that has the franchise for Apple Valley,
and their CSRs do tend to be pretty well clued, and I have gotten service
credits when there have been outages. I don't see what your point is.

> Don't be lazy, just do it and you may have a
> much more reliable service then you already do now.

But I *do* - you're assuming an awful lot here. It would be hypocritical of
me not to, since it used to bother me when other people waited forever to
call in problems when I worked tech support.

> If your cable modem goes out often, it might be working to hard to get back
> to the OTN. Your signal level can be too low, too high.

I understand that. Actually, we had some problems recently when the dog
chewed through our coax. (Obviously not the cable company's fault!)

> There are many
> things you can try yourself to take care of the problem. What modem model do
> you have? Are there any spliters on the line going to the cable modem? I can
> help you if you want...even if you think I am an obnoxious prick as you say.

I do think that; that's the image you put forth on the newsgroup, so you
can hardly blame me for thinking that, can you now? OTOH, I appreciate the
offer of help. OTOOH, right now I'm ok. I'm aware of the basic steps I can
take to correct problems (but I do appreciate the information).

For the most part, my service is fine. We could have used satellite, but ain't
no way I'm dealing with satellite Internet's latency. The only DSL available
here, five miles from my CO, is Verizon and it's only been available recently
as Verizon has made a push to extend their reach - and given the problems I
had with SBC DSL in Cleveland before I moved here, Satan will be selling Sno-
Cones before I buy phone-company DSL ever again. Covad doesn't service Apple
Valley. Charter does, and has for a long time, and I actually am able to get
the 3Mbps of downstream speed that I'm paying for (probably because there are
not a lot of other people in this neighborhood that use cablemodems. Yes, I
understand that the 3Mbps is not guaranteed)

So I'm generally satisfied with my service. I'm just saying that it's
not perfect, in contrast to what you're saying.

August 15, 2004 4:26:41 PM

Look, I have DirectTV and would pay them double just for the honor of not
dealing with a cable company. BUT this is VERIZON newsgroup and I would like
to get back to that guys and gals.

George in NY
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 4:30:11 PM

I would definately complain and if necessary jump up and down. If it hinders
the display it should be corrected without cost whether in or out of a
warranty period since this indicates a design flaw UNLESS issue arose from
dropping or otherwise damaging phone.

George in NY

!