what mobo for socket939

coolcat23

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2004
Hi everyone, never been here before but have read alot of forums. I am building a new amd 64 3800+ system and wondering what mother board to use. I have been reading alot and getting the impression that the board I thought of, asus a8v deluxe, has a lot of problems. I have read about dual channel memory problems as well as video. can anyone comment on that and maybe tell me if the rev. 2 of this board is alright? I plan on using 2x512 corsair 3200xl
memory. would really thank you for any advice.

El_Jefe_77

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004
Hey,
Due to testing results, and the fact that you have none of the components purchased yet, i would go for the MSI boards with 1000 fsb. your chip is the fastest in the world for a desktop. i dont like fx-53's ram requirement so blech on that. well, point is, you will do better with that board and then go Crucial Ballistix pc4000 ram. get that in a 2x512 meg setup, and tweak the ram down a lil in timings if it will budge (its supposed to a bit) then you would have the fastest setup out there.
nice eh?
board is like 140 dollars shipped. So, I wouldnt worry about dual pci-e yet, i mean, in a year, just buy another 140 dollar board and transfer all your stuff.

Corsair was nice for like 2 months until Ballistix was tested. It is also nice for xp-m overclockers, and for straight using pentium4 users. It doesnt do as well when you start to ramp up the bus speed of it to nearing ddr 500 (250 mhz ram)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by el_jefe_77 on 09/18/04 04:06 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

coolcat23

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2004
thanks alot, but I am not planning on overclocking. I have no experience with it yet and would like to get some before I start messing around with it. I will consider the msi option but would still like to hear some feedback on the asus board.