getting wifi to work between rooms using multiple access p..

hi,

i have a question about how to achieve the following goal. i've got 4
rooms in my house. i've got an ADSL based internet connection. to get
this, i have an ADSL modem connected to an ADSL router/wireless access
point. in room 1, i have a windows PC using a USB wifi card to talk to
the access point. in room 2, i have a laptop with a pcmcia card to
also talk to the access point. but in room 3 and room 4, i have a
bunch of machines that fall into one or more of the following
categories:

1. no USB ports
2. no PCMCIA ports
3. no free PCI slots
4. OS is old and/or doesn't support wireless devices

those machines in room 3 and 4 do have LAN cards and are connected to
a ethernet switches. ideally, if i could just buy a ethernet-to-wifi
bridge/converter then i guess my problem would be solved. i coudn't
find evidence of such a thing existing yet. then i got to thinking,
that is just an access point. so if i bought another wifi access point
for both room 3 and room 4, i could connect the switch in room 3 to an
access point and the same in room 4. but now the problem is how do i
tell the access point in rooms 3 and 4 that they should not be full-on
access points but rather just be a simple ethernet-to-wifi bridge. i
don't think adhoc mode is what i am looking for because then the main
wifi access point/adsl router won't do it's routing then so i won't
have internet access from any machine at that point.

i look forward to any advice/discussion/suggestions. drop me a mail at
osedax_latin@yahoo.com if you can help me.

thanks.

roby

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004

Osedax Latin wrote:

> hi,
>
> i have a question about how to achieve the following goal. i've got 4
> rooms in my house. i've got an ADSL based internet connection. to get
> this, i have an ADSL modem connected to an ADSL router/wireless access
> point. in room 1, i have a windows PC using a USB wifi card to talk to
> the access point. in room 2, i have a laptop with a pcmcia card to
> also talk to the access point. but in room 3 and room 4, i have a
> bunch of machines that fall into one or more of the following
> categories:
>
> 1. no USB ports
> 2. no PCMCIA ports
> 3. no free PCI slots
> 4. OS is old and/or doesn't support wireless devices
>
> those machines in room 3 and 4 do have LAN cards and are connected to
> a ethernet switches. ideally, if i could just buy a ethernet-to-wifi
> bridge/converter then i guess my problem would be solved. i coudn't
> find evidence of such a thing existing yet. then i got to thinking,
> that is just an access point. so if i bought another wifi access point
> for both room 3 and room 4, i could connect the switch in room 3 to an
> access point and the same in room 4. but now the problem is how do i
> tell the access point in rooms 3 and 4 that they should not be full-on
> access points but rather just be a simple ethernet-to-wifi bridge. i
> don't think adhoc mode is what i am looking for because then the main
> wifi access point/adsl router won't do it's routing then so i won't
> have internet access from any machine at that point.
>
> i look forward to any advice/discussion/suggestions. drop me a mail at
> osedax_latin@yahoo.com if you can help me.
>
> thanks.

Have a look here:

http://usa.asus.com/products/communication/wireless/wl-330g/overview.HTM

It's external, so there's no hardware to install - and no driver to fiddle
around with either, so any o/s that supports TCP/IP is just fine. I use
mine on win98se, win2k and linux. Works great!

Roby

Roby

>ADSL modem connected to an ADSL router/wireless access point. in room 1

what make model router/ap?

You could use WinProxy www.winproxy.com on the PC in room 1.