getting wifi to work between rooms using multiple access p..

hi,

i have a question about how to achieve the following goal. i've got 4
rooms in my house. i've got an ADSL based internet connection. to get
this, i have an ADSL modem connected to an ADSL router/wireless access
point. in room 1, i have a windows PC using a USB wifi card to talk to
the access point. in room 2, i have a laptop with a pcmcia card to
also talk to the access point. but in room 3 and room 4, i have a
bunch of machines that fall into one or more of the following
categories:

1. no USB ports
2. no PCMCIA ports
3. no free PCI slots
4. OS is old and/or doesn't support wireless devices

those machines in room 3 and 4 do have LAN cards and are connected to
a ethernet switches. ideally, if i could just buy a ethernet-to-wifi
bridge/converter then i guess my problem would be solved. i coudn't
find evidence of such a thing existing yet. then i got to thinking,
that is just an access point. so if i bought another wifi access point
for both room 3 and room 4, i could connect the switch in room 3 to an
access point and the same in room 4. but now the problem is how do i
tell the access point in rooms 3 and 4 that they should not be full-on
access points but rather just be a simple ethernet-to-wifi bridge. i
don't think adhoc mode is what i am looking for because then the main
wifi access point/adsl router won't do it's routing then so i won't
have internet access from any machine at that point.

i look forward to any advice/discussion/suggestions. drop me a mail at
osedax_latin@yahoo.com if you can help me.

thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about getting wifi work rooms multiple access

    Osedax Latin wrote:

    > hi,
    >
    > i have a question about how to achieve the following goal. i've got 4
    > rooms in my house. i've got an ADSL based internet connection. to get
    > this, i have an ADSL modem connected to an ADSL router/wireless access
    > point. in room 1, i have a windows PC using a USB wifi card to talk to
    > the access point. in room 2, i have a laptop with a pcmcia card to
    > also talk to the access point. but in room 3 and room 4, i have a
    > bunch of machines that fall into one or more of the following
    > categories:
    >
    > 1. no USB ports
    > 2. no PCMCIA ports
    > 3. no free PCI slots
    > 4. OS is old and/or doesn't support wireless devices
    >
    > those machines in room 3 and 4 do have LAN cards and are connected to
    > a ethernet switches. ideally, if i could just buy a ethernet-to-wifi
    > bridge/converter then i guess my problem would be solved. i coudn't
    > find evidence of such a thing existing yet. then i got to thinking,
    > that is just an access point. so if i bought another wifi access point
    > for both room 3 and room 4, i could connect the switch in room 3 to an
    > access point and the same in room 4. but now the problem is how do i
    > tell the access point in rooms 3 and 4 that they should not be full-on
    > access points but rather just be a simple ethernet-to-wifi bridge. i
    > don't think adhoc mode is what i am looking for because then the main
    > wifi access point/adsl router won't do it's routing then so i won't
    > have internet access from any machine at that point.
    >
    > i look forward to any advice/discussion/suggestions. drop me a mail at
    > osedax_latin@yahoo.com if you can help me.
    >
    > thanks.

    Have a look here:

    http://usa.asus.com/products/communication/wireless/wl-330g/overview.HTM

    It's external, so there's no hardware to install - and no driver to fiddle
    around with either, so any o/s that supports TCP/IP is just fine. I use
    mine on win98se, win2k and linux. Works great!

    Roby

    Roby

    >ADSL modem connected to an ADSL router/wireless access point. in room 1

    what make model router/ap?

    On 15 Oct 2004 19:47:52 -0700, osedax_latin@yahoo.com (Osedax Latin)
    wrote:

    You could use WinProxy www.winproxy.com on the PC in room 1.

    >hi,
    >
    >i have a question about how to achieve the following goal. i've got 4
    >rooms in my house. i've got an ADSL based internet connection. to get
    >this, i have an ADSL modem connected to an ADSL router/wireless access
    >point. in room 1, i have a windows PC using a USB wifi card to talk to
    >the access point. in room 2, i have a laptop with a pcmcia card to
    >also talk to the access point. but in room 3 and room 4, i have a
    >bunch of machines that fall into one or more of the following
    >categories:
    >
    >1. no USB ports
    >2. no PCMCIA ports
    >3. no free PCI slots
    >4. OS is old and/or doesn't support wireless devices
    >
    >those machines in room 3 and 4 do have LAN cards and are connected to
    >a ethernet switches. ideally, if i could just buy a ethernet-to-wifi
    >bridge/converter then i guess my problem would be solved. i coudn't
    >find evidence of such a thing existing yet. then i got to thinking,
    >that is just an access point. so if i bought another wifi access point
    >for both room 3 and room 4, i could connect the switch in room 3 to an
    >access point and the same in room 4. but now the problem is how do i
    >tell the access point in rooms 3 and 4 that they should not be full-on
    >access points but rather just be a simple ethernet-to-wifi bridge. i
    >don't think adhoc mode is what i am looking for because then the main
    >wifi access point/adsl router won't do it's routing then so i won't
    >have internet access from any machine at that point.
    >
    >i look forward to any advice/discussion/suggestions. drop me a mail at
    >osedax_latin@yahoo.com if you can help me.
    >
    >thanks.

WiFi Wireless Networking