Can't power up

rodash

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
Hi,
I'm assembling a new PC and I'm having trouble getting it to fire up. Everything appears to be connected OK but it's just not working. I'm wondering if there is some setting on the motherboard that I may have missed.

When I press the power button on the front panel of the case, the power supply and fans all power up for a fraction of a second, then die. This happens with all three fans in the case (CPU fan, SYS fan, rear exhaust fan) as well as the fan in the power supply. The power duration is about 1/10th of a second, if that. It's as though something is quickly killing the power, for whatever reason. Strange thing is, when I press the power button again, nothing happens. But if I turn the power off at the power point, and then press the case power button again, the same short power-up occurs.

From what I have said, does this appear to be a motherboard issue or a power supply one?

The configuration of hardware I have assembled is as follows:

Antec Super Lanboy case
Antec 480w True Blue power supply
Gigabyte GA-81915P motherboard
Pentium 4, 530 LGA775 3Ghz
Kingston KVR400 dual channel 2 x 512mb memory modules
GeCube Radeon X300 PCI Express graphics card
Seagate SATA 200G hard drive
Gigabyte DVD writer
FDD

I have installed the memory modules into banks 1 and 3, which is the configuration for dual channel.

The front case fan is attached to the SYS FAN connector.
The CPU fan is attached to the CPU FAN connector.
The rear exhaust fan is plugged into one of the power supply leads.
There is nothing attached to the NB FAN connector.
I have attached the front panel power switch and rest buttons to the appropriate connectors, with the correct pin configuration.

I haven't set any jumper settings on the board because there doesn't appear to be any, and also because there's nothing in the installation booklet about setting jumpers. I'm presuming jumpers don't need to be manually set.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
When I press the power button on the front panel of the case, the power supply and fans all power up for a fraction of a second, then die.
The common sign of shorting to ground. Your mobo might be touching the case's chassis. Have you tried to test your mobo (with CPU, Video card and RAM) outside the case (put it on a cardboard or somthing similar) to see if it can boot.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

rodash

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
What you say makes sense. I'll take it out and try it. I should have tested it before I put it in the case, don't know why I didn't.
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply ... it's greatly appreciated.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you plugged in your 4pin 12vATX CPU plug try defaulting the BIOS chip also. This sometimes works on those exact same issues.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot