Anyone Using the Motorola v60s?

Last response: in Network Providers
August 13, 2004 3:11:18 PM

Looks like a nice phone to me. Is tri-mode desirable? Opinions would be
appreciated.

More about : motorola v60s

Anonymous
August 13, 2004 3:11:19 PM

"Buck Turgidson" <jc_va@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Looks like a nice phone to me. Is tri-mode desirable? Opinions would be
> appreciated.

I've had one for about a month and like it. It's not a feature fancy phone,
but don't have any desire for pictures, color screen, games, or any of the
other whistles and bells they're pushing on the "latest and greatest"
phones. I had three requirements when looking for a new phone. It had to
have voice dialing, speaker phone, and be tri-mode.

Tri-mode is important to me because travel. I live in Las Vegas, and once
you leave the valley, you need analog. For example, once I cross the Hoover
Dam into Arizona, it's analog all the way to Wickenburg (with one dead
stretch where nothing works). If you stick to major metropolitan areas,
tri-mode probably isn't important.
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 4:29:49 PM

> I've had one for about a month and like it. It's not a feature fancy
phone,
> but don't have any desire for pictures, color screen, games, or any of the
> other whistles and bells they're pushing on the "latest and greatest"
> phones. I had three requirements when looking for a new phone. It had to
> have voice dialing, speaker phone, and be tri-mode.
>
> Tri-mode is important to me because travel. I live in Las Vegas, and once
> you leave the valley, you need analog. For example, once I cross the
Hoover
> Dam into Arizona, it's analog all the way to Wickenburg (with one dead
> stretch where nothing works). If you stick to major metropolitan areas,
> tri-mode probably isn't important.

This is a flip-phone, correct? It appears to be so from the photo. And you
can tell from the outside display who's calling without opening the phone?

Thanks.
August 13, 2004 4:29:50 PM

Buck Turgidson wrote:
>>I've had one for about a month and like it. It's not a feature fancy
>
> phone,
>
>>but don't have any desire for pictures, color screen, games, or any of the
>>other whistles and bells they're pushing on the "latest and greatest"
>>phones. I had three requirements when looking for a new phone. It had to
>>have voice dialing, speaker phone, and be tri-mode.
>>
>>Tri-mode is important to me because travel. I live in Las Vegas, and once
>>you leave the valley, you need analog. For example, once I cross the
>
> Hoover
>
>>Dam into Arizona, it's analog all the way to Wickenburg (with one dead
>>stretch where nothing works). If you stick to major metropolitan areas,
>>tri-mode probably isn't important.
>>

> This is a flip-phone, correct? It appears to be so from the photo. And you
> can tell from the outside display who's calling without opening the phone?

Yeah this is a flip phone, and yes if the number is not private you can
see whos calling. I personally wish I had this phone over my Kyocera
Slider. The colors seem cool at first but I swear after a week or so
the colors are worthless. You realize its just a phone. I really want
the v60 because the way it looks. Its sleek and professional and
compact and light. It also has a durable feel to it. Unfortunately it
was not available in my area anymore and is only available online in
some places. If you can get the phone still I'd say get it.
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 5:34:50 PM

> Yeah this is a flip phone, and yes if the number is not private you can
> see whos calling. I personally wish I had this phone over my Kyocera
> Slider. The colors seem cool at first but I swear after a week or so
> the colors are worthless. You realize its just a phone. I really want
> the v60 because the way it looks. Its sleek and professional and
> compact and light. It also has a durable feel to it. Unfortunately it
> was not available in my area anymore and is only available online in
> some places. If you can get the phone still I'd say get it.

Why would it not be available in your area? Do you have a different type of
coverage? Sorry for all my questions. I am new to cell phones. I am the
type who thought my black rotary dial phone was fine, and that push buttons
phones were just a fad.
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 5:34:51 PM

Buck Turgidson wrote:
>>Yeah this is a flip phone, and yes if the number is not private you can
>>see whos calling. I personally wish I had this phone over my Kyocera
>>Slider. The colors seem cool at first but I swear after a week or so
>>the colors are worthless. You realize its just a phone. I really want
>>the v60 because the way it looks. Its sleek and professional and
>>compact and light. It also has a durable feel to it. Unfortunately it
>>was not available in my area anymore and is only available online in
>>some places. If you can get the phone still I'd say get it.
>

> Why would it not be available in your area?

You know that is a very good question. I have no idea why. The stores
I've gone too tell me its only available online. I'd like to guess that
its because its an old phone. Its been around for awhile and people
still like it. They like to put the new phones on the shelf and
display. I do see the V60i but I don't consider this the same as the
older V60's although it looks like its the same its much thicker then
the regular V60's and has the push-to-talk feature which acts much like
Nextels wide range walky talky.

> Do you have a different type of coverage? Sorry for all my questions. I am new to cell phones. I am the
> type who thought my black rotary dial phone was fine, and that push buttons
> phones were just a fad.

I don't have different coverage. I can get the phone if I want I just
have to order it online.

No problem ask all the questions you want. Thats why your here right? =)
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 9:42:42 PM

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 11:11:18 -0400, "Buck Turgidson"
<jc_va@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Looks like a nice phone to me. Is tri-mode desirable? Opinions would be
>appreciated.

I like the phone. I've had it since March.

Good points (at least for me):
Flip phone
No camera (if I want to take pictures, I have a digital camera)
No color
Small size
Loud speakerphone
Good DIGITAL reception
Good selection of built-in ring tones
Does not have BREW (aka Get It Now)

Bad points (at least for me)
So-so battery life (though you can get a high capacity battery)
Poor ANALOG reception (at least compared to my v120c and v120e phones)

Overall I'm satisfied with the phone. Its not a StarTac (probably the
best phone series that Motorola ever made) but its pretty good though.

Dave
August 13, 2004 10:31:44 PM

I've had the phone since it came out. Good reception, reliable (I have
dropped it numerous times) easy to use, speaker phone works well and is
useful in the car, though I don't use the speakerphone that much, battery
life is okay for me. What more can I say. A fine phone, I would buy again.

"Diamond Dave" <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 11:11:18 -0400, "Buck Turgidson"
> <jc_va@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Looks like a nice phone to me. Is tri-mode desirable? Opinions would be
> >appreciated.
>

> I like the phone. I've had it since March.
>
> Good points (at least for me):
> Flip phone
> No camera (if I want to take pictures, I have a digital camera)
> No color
> Small size
> Loud speakerphone
> Good DIGITAL reception
> Good selection of built-in ring tones
> Does not have BREW (aka Get It Now)
>
> Bad points (at least for me)
> So-so battery life (though you can get a high capacity battery)
> Poor ANALOG reception (at least compared to my v120c and v120e phones)
>
> Overall I'm satisfied with the phone. Its not a StarTac (probably the
> best phone series that Motorola ever made) but its pretty good though.
>
> Dave

Anonymous
August 13, 2004 10:46:30 PM

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 13:34:50 -0400, "Buck Turgidson"
<jc_va@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Yeah this is a flip phone, and yes if the number is not private you can
>> see whos calling. I personally wish I had this phone over my Kyocera
>> Slider. The colors seem cool at first but I swear after a week or so
>> the colors are worthless. You realize its just a phone. I really want
>> the v60 because the way it looks. Its sleek and professional and
>> compact and light. It also has a durable feel to it. Unfortunately it
>> was not available in my area anymore and is only available online in
>> some places. If you can get the phone still I'd say get it.
>
>Why would it not be available in your area? Do you have a different type of
>coverage? Sorry for all my questions. I am new to cell phones. I am the
>type who thought my black rotary dial phone was fine, and that push buttons
>phones were just a fad.

With Verizon, not all plans and phones are available nationwide. At
one point there were several different billing systems too. This was a
result of the merger that brought the companies together to form
Verizon.

It seems that there are less differences between areas today but there
are still some.

The V60s is still available as a full price upgrade and a new
activation online in the NYC area. I believe it still can be ordered
directly from motorola as well.
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 3:26:42 AM

JDC wrote:

>>Overall I'm satisfied with the phone. Its not a StarTac (probably the
>>best phone series that Motorola ever made) but its pretty good though.

Have you had the not ringing problem? Calls come in, are visible, but do
not ring. Fixed by a reset. Maybe there is a new software upgrade to fix
that?
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 12:43:36 PM

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 23:26:42 -0700, ken moffat <kmoffat@drizzle.com>
wrote:

>Have you had the not ringing problem? Calls come in, are visible, but do
>not ring. Fixed by a reset. Maybe there is a new software upgrade to fix
>that?

I've never had a problem with that. I've read about it here and did
some test calls from numbers I had in my phone book, but it rang like
it should.

Dave
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 8:45:38 PM

In article <g52sh01uu0hnenoo7in266vohr9i56hd94@4ax.com>,
Diamond Dave <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 23:26:42 -0700, ken moffat <kmoffat@drizzle.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Have you had the not ringing problem? Calls come in, are visible, but do
> >not ring. Fixed by a reset. Maybe there is a new software upgrade to fix
> >that?
>
> I've never had a problem with that. I've read about it here and did
> some test calls from numbers I had in my phone book, but it rang like
> it should.
>
> Dave

Problem is, you really don't know when it will strike... I didn't find
out until people started asking me why I didn't answer my phone.

Finally figured it out, and replaced them with Samsungs. A software fix
was supposed to do the trick, but it didn't work for me.

Fred

--
"Light moves faster than sound. That's why some
folks appear bright until you hear them speak..."

I've had the V60s for a few months now, and like it. The only disappointment
came when I confirmed with Motorola customer service that there is no
provision for connecting the V60s to a computer. As I understand it, that
means you can't use your computer to manage the phone's address book, can't
download rings and other goodies from your computer, nor can you use the
phone as a "modem" to connect to your computer to the Internet.

Comments about the relatively short battery life are right on. That was a
surprise; I picked a phone with a monochrome display because I thought I'd
get longer battery life.

Overall, though, I'm very pleased with the phone. First time I've had voice
dial. It's a great feature to have, especially when driving.

Rich

"Diamond Dave" <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 11:11:18 -0400, "Buck Turgidson"
> <jc_va@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Looks like a nice phone to me. Is tri-mode desirable? Opinions would be
> >appreciated.
>

> I like the phone. I've had it since March.
>
> Good points (at least for me):
> Flip phone
> No camera (if I want to take pictures, I have a digital camera)
> No color
> Small size
> Loud speakerphone
> Good DIGITAL reception
> Good selection of built-in ring tones
> Does not have BREW (aka Get It Now)
>
> Bad points (at least for me)
> So-so battery life (though you can get a high capacity battery)
> Poor ANALOG reception (at least compared to my v120c and v120e phones)
>
> Overall I'm satisfied with the phone. Its not a StarTac (probably the
> best phone series that Motorola ever made) but its pretty good though.
>
> Dave

Anonymous
August 16, 2004 10:31:48 PM

There is an option, I sync my v60s with my mac via iSync with no
external software and my PC via mobile phone tools by BVRP software.
Works great to sync and as a modem to connect to the net, it doesnt
allow you to update the ring tones however..
all you need is a cable, available from RadioShack or eforcity.com.
I really like the express network (or whatever they call it these days
) capabilities to check email when I'm travelling.

this was a great resource to hook up to my powerbok,
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/maccellphone/files/

My wife's XP laptop detects automagically:)

I used a 7760 and a 7868 startac, then a v60c and now this, I liked
them all.
I had a v720 that I didn't care for.

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 00:10:02 GMT, "Rich" <notarealaddress@nospam.com>
wrote:

>I've had the V60s for a few months now, and like it. The only disappointment
>came when I confirmed with Motorola customer service that there is no
>provision for connecting the V60s to a computer. As I understand it, that
>means you can't use your computer to manage the phone's address book, can't
>download rings and other goodies from your computer, nor can you use the
>phone as a "modem" to connect to your computer to the Internet.
>
>Comments about the relatively short battery life are right on. That was a
>surprise; I picked a phone with a monochrome display because I thought I'd
>get longer battery life.
>
>Overall, though, I'm very pleased with the phone. First time I've had voice
>dial. It's a great feature to have, especially when driving.
>
>Rich

>"Diamond Dave" <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 11:11:18 -0400, "Buck Turgidson"
>> <jc_va@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Looks like a nice phone to me. Is tri-mode desirable? Opinions would be
>> >appreciated.
>>

>> I like the phone. I've had it since March.
>>
>> Good points (at least for me):
>> Flip phone
>> No camera (if I want to take pictures, I have a digital camera)
>> No color
>> Small size
>> Loud speakerphone
>> Good DIGITAL reception
>> Good selection of built-in ring tones
>> Does not have BREW (aka Get It Now)
>>
>> Bad points (at least for me)
>> So-so battery life (though you can get a high capacity battery)
>> Poor ANALOG reception (at least compared to my v120c and v120e phones)
>>
>> Overall I'm satisfied with the phone. Its not a StarTac (probably the
>> best phone series that Motorola ever made) but its pretty good though.
>>
>> Dave

Anonymous
August 18, 2004 4:37:09 PM

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 18:31:48 -0500, max tourette <Max@>> wrote:
> There is an option, I sync my v60s with my mac via iSync with no
> external software and my PC via mobile phone tools by BVRP software.
> Works great to sync and as a modem to connect to the net, it doesnt
> allow you to update the ring tones however..
> all you need is a cable, available from RadioShack or eforcity.com.
> I really like the express network (or whatever they call it these days
> ) capabilities to check email when I'm travelling.

Be forewarned: the Radio Shack (FutureDial) cable does *NOT* work for
Express Network access, at least the one that has the small plastic
tumor in the middle of it . . . that's the only one I've seen at RS.
You'll need the straight-through USB cable from eforcity.com to do that.
The RS/FutureDial cable *DOES* work for backup and address book
synchronization with your PC, however.

--
- PorkRind - The Crunchy Other White Meat Byproduct
!