Abit IC7-G Problems

Ok, i was hooking up a friends new rig because he had to get a new mobo due to some problem with his old one [not 100% sure what the problem was but we were pretty sure it was that his motherboard*** fried somehow] So i am putting everything together and after i finished connecting everything i tried turning it on.

The computer turns on for a second [theres an orange light near the green light on the motherboard... i dont like the looks of it but is that normal when the computer turns on?] and then it shuts off, then it turns on again a second later and goes through the same process until i flip the switch on the psu.

so i tried a few things; i checked all the psu connectors to everything, i checked the hds and cd drives to make sure they are connected to the mobo, i checked the memory, i even made sure that the thermal paste on the cpu wasnt messed up or anything.

put everything back together and it still did the same thing... so i looked in the manual under troubleshooting. it said something about clearing the cmos. so i tried that a couple times... no avail it just sped up the process so now from a 5 second process, it starts up 5 times in 5 seconds... i really didnt like that so i took everything out of his case and looked online [laptop] to try to find some help. i saw one site that said to put the mobo on a towel to make sure it isnt being grounded by the studs or case... now heres where it gets weird.

i tried the pc on the towel with his video card [ati 9800 pro] and a basic set up, no other un needed periphrials... same thing it doesnt work. this time i tried to do a boot with his old 5200 that had fried and stopped working about 2 1/2 months before. oddly it does the weird sequence once and then starts up... i cant see if its actually running because of the video card being unable to transfer video / fried. [the orange light still comes on though]. i also tried to boot using his family's nvidia ti4200 or something... doesnt work, now this really puzzled me... i have an idea about what it could be but im not really sure if its possible

could the problem be his psu? it works with a fried video card but not with a working one?

could it be his mobo is defective> [btw i even tried taking a battery from another mobo and using it... same problem]

any other suggestions?

his rig:
p4 2.8C
abit ic7-g
ati 9800 pro
2x 256mb ddr400
120gb hd
cd-rw
350 watt psu

thanks
-lawler

oops said monitor not mobo lol

Athlon 64 3500+
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
Kingston HyperX PC4000 [2x512]
ATI 9600 Pro [upgrade soon]
Sound Blaster Audigy LS
Samsung 120gb hd<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by alawlz187 on 09/24/04 05:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
2 answers Last reply
More about abit problems
  1. Have you tried just seeing what the motherboard does without anything on it? No vid card no nothing. Try doing just the mobo and add in components one at a time. Do you get any system beeps, and does the manual or manufactures website list what the LED lights represent?

- Shinobi

Every great journey begins with the first step.
  2. The problem is most likely his power supply.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards