DRM: Is Steamworks The Way to Go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LATTEH

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
tbh steam is the best way to go if you want DRM every one likes it and any one that plays PC games has an account so it doesn't matter!

also i like steam it makes it easier when your reinstalling your OS (if you save the files for the games)

wolfseeker2828

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
I started using Steam a few months ago, and I've found it's one of the best ways to distribute software! Because it has a social aspect, and very non-intrusive DRM, plus allows multiple installs on different computers, I find myself hoping ALL games eventually make their way onto Steam.

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I love Steam. I hate having to disk swap to reinstall my games when I reinstall windows. Steam is good for developers and good for users.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Now this is how DRM should be done. Thank god Bethestda is doing this, I really hope they set the trend by doing this.

I mean really, how can you go wrong by going with steam? You can't, that's how.

mackinator

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
there is one way to go wrong, creating a monopoly on distribution of games.
however, even that wouldnt be a bad thing as long as steam keeps being the good service it is.

G

I think the reason why Steam is so successful is because of its unobtrusive nature and I think this stems from the fact that it was created by a game development company instead of a distribution company. Thanks Valve.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
After using steam for over a year, I'd have to agree that it is some of the least obtrusive DRM there is. I've had to move my games to a new PC after initially installing it, then had to reinstall once because I moved from Windows 7 RC1 to the real thing. It was relatively painless, although I admit it takes a long time to download about 20 GB worth of games.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Steam is awesome, solves many problems and is no hassle. It's my only source for buying games.

Solves:
1. Backup issues since games are all available in my Steam account
2. Don't need to enter any Keys
3. Provides me info on new games
4. Automatically updates my games
5. Might just save the PC gaming industry from Pirates/theives
6. Provides free demos of most games (try before you buy)
7. Provides SDK for game developers so copy protection is obfuscated within the game code itself

It's a pirates worse nightmare, and they seem to be the ones who don't like it (gee, big surprise), but do we paying customers give a rats ass about pirates, nope, and neither does steam nor the gaming companies -- they finally have a solution that ensures they get paid for consumer usage.

arrghushakaboorga

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
I think it's an excellent idea. I know a lot of people don't like Steam, but it's nice not having to worry about where I left my discs. Or if someone else was using it and scratched it etc. Being able to redownload/verify files easily is great

greatsaltedone

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
I've been using steam since it was first released and it has matured into an incredible content distribution system. I see it as akin to the move from vinyl/tape to cd/dvd: it's a technological step at which customers are willing to repurchase content they already own and once they make the leap they will never go back. Steam has so far been incredibly effective at making me buy games I already own, even more recent ones like Civ4.

On another note, I believe that Steam is the answer that developers are looking for as it provides very strong, unobtrusive DRM while also advertises to an ENORMOUS gamer base nearly cost-free. If all PC games were to standardize on Steam today, I would bet that the current move to console would have stopped within two years.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Steam still scares me in that if for some unforeseeable reason they go out of business and disappear (not likely, but gotta consider every scenario), what happens to my games? Do they disappear too?
However, I do prefer it against alternative DRMs. Of course, the best DRM is no DRM. I would even say that I'm more likely to buy a DRM-free game. For example, the game Demigod. No DRM. I downloaded a pirated copy to see if it was any good. I liked it. I got rid of said pirated copy and bought the game. If the game had DRM preventing the pirated copy, I never would have tried it, and never would have bought it.

mrmike_49

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Thank god they're dropping GFWL - I REALLY hated that.

The only worry about digital download I have is "Will this company still be in business 10, 15, 20 years in the future?" I re-played Eye of the Beholder last summer, about a 20 year old game. Will I be able to do that with FONV in 15 years if I digital download

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
The only DRM that works is making the price of games drop - honestly...$70 for a games? No thank you. Make a game $20, or $30 and you're basically attract back those who hitherto resorted to torrents. And as far as your profit margins - let's see: Increase sales volume, no need to license DRM technologies (not cheap to do), and you STILL make a great profit from the console rip-offs. This whole DRM thing is really a solution which only makes sense to these publishers because they're looking at the problem from the wrong angle! Get with the times and you'll reap the benefits. Keep your games $70 and I'll wait the 2 weeks for RELOADED to do their magic. Cheers!

David the Gnome

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
It would be great if every game was offered on Steam. I love the fact that if I get the itch to play a game I bought 10 years ago, I don't have to go hunting for the discs and worry about compatibility issues, I just double click it's name in my Steam library and tell it to install.

greatsaltedone

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
I would like to add on to my previous points that Steam also started a renaissance for small/independent developers. Games like Mount and Blade, Machinarium, or World of Goo would never have had a chance in the previous market dominated by big box stores like Wal-Mart. By reducing the middle-man, Valve has handed market control to end users, assuring that the games industry won't end up like the car industry (as it seemed to be doing with certain instances like GTA San Andreas).

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Anomalyx[/nom]Steam still scares me in that if for some unforeseeable reason they go out of business and disappear (not likely, but gotta consider every scenario), what happens to my games?[/citation]
Steam as a company, if it ever goes bust will not simply disappear.
It is the same as your house, if you dont pay the rent they repossess.
If Steam goes belly up then all their IP, including all the games and peoples accounts, will be taken by the receivers.
The bank will run it under administration until they can find an appropriate buyer at which point someone will carry it on.
At worst you may see a loss of service for a month or two and then all back to normal.

flachet

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
The one problem I have seen with Steam thus far is the fact that sometimes you aren't able to download content when you might want it. That is the one thing that annoys me the most.

If I want to download it, I want it now not when they are ready for me to have it. If that can and will fix that issue, then I would rate steam as a 5 star service, at present they are hovering around a 3.

fusion_gtx

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Honestly, I love Steam and the way they do things. When Steam first came out there were a few bumps here and there but overall everything was great. And honestly, not needing my discs has on many occasions saved me time and money. With all my Steam apps I can let my mind be at ease knowing that if I lose a disc I can still play my game without ever having to buy a new copy.

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I originally hated steam.. I saw it as evil but they made progress. They are now are the most attractive method of getting a video game.. No waits really (unless the servers are totally screwed), DRM is a minimal, and yes it can be cracked but its not TOTALLY crackable.. Only thing I still do not like about steam is that they refuse to put their foot down on other DRM's being in theirs. Why do they need safedisc and all that other BS drm software? Its good by itself..

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
YES!

Finally someone gets it. This will alienate the people that can't access the internet at all, but in this day age the idea that someone can use the internet for a few moments to activate an install seems ludicrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.