New Setup for Athlone 64

flatstan

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2004
Hi, I have been using "Tom's" for advice & guidance for a couple of years now, but this is the first time that I have used the forums & posted a question. I intend building a new setup based on a AMD Athlone 64 (2800+ or 3200+ any higher & the price jumps dramaticaly), depending which I can afford, I am considering the Gigabyte K8N, K8NS, K8NSNXP Mobo's & using a Gigabyte FX 5600 or FX 5700 graphics card as the main components. I have been using Gigabyte Mobo's for some while & have been very pleased with them. I would welcome any thoughts on the advantages & suitability of pairing a Gigabyte Mobo with a Gigabyte Graphics Card & recomendations for the best combination; I would also like any recomendations for other combinations & manufacturers. I am budgeting for up to about £80/£100 for each board/card. Like most people I want the best value & performance without spending a fortune. I am a keen game player but do not need cutting edge performance, just the ability to play the latest games reasonably, with stability & a couple of years future proofing. My setup now is a Athlone XP 2000, a GA 7VRXP Mobo & a PNY Verto NVidia GF3 Ti500, which is stable & works well, now I want to go up another level. thanks in advance, regards.

1) It's Athlon NOT AthlonE

2)Avoid the FX5600 Cards. I'm sure there are better price / performace cards out there than the 5700's but someone else will post with a good graphics card...not me :D

3) Do you intend to overclock?

4) I like you, do you like me?

RichPLS

Champion
Maybe you can suggest a good socket 747 mobo for that Athlone 64 he wants.

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!

endyen

Splendid
Gigabyte makes nice boards, though they do take getting used to.
As for graphics, the FX were a total loss. If you have to get the A64 2800 to be able to afford a Radeon 9800pro, your games will play much better.
Dont waste a lot of money for expensive ram. It doesn't make any difference because the memory controler is on the chip.

RichPLS

Champion
Thanks for the clarification, Ned
:)

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Actually it's neither 757 or 747. It's socket 754 :lol:

------------
<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A>

<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig</A> & <A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/benchmark.html" target="_new">3DMark score</A>

Argh all the numbers! That's it, it's settled - i'm getting counselling!

Intel 740
AMD 3200
Skt A, Skt 1, Skt 754, skt 939
130nm, 90nm

MY HEAD IS GOING TO EXPLODE!!! :lol: :lol:

flatstan

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2004
Hi, thanks to all for the replies,very usefull. I think that I really require recomendations for a good compatable combination of Mobo & Graphics Card costing about £100BG, $180US each,( £200GB, $360US the pair ), to use with a Athlon 64 3000. I'll post this on the Graphics forum also.