JerryBHayes

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
I am looking for a reliable XBox 360. I bought a white one on eBay and about 3 months later found out that it had been moded with spacers/ washers. I went ahead and re-seated the heatsink with the recommended silver solder and it still got the Red Ring of Death a few weeks later. I have everything but the actual console and I just need a reliable one. Should I look for an elite? Is there a way to tell which of the consoles have the bad solder in the boards? Is there something I do to prevent overheating besides providing ventilation?

neorecon19

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
To be honest, your best bet is to buy a brand new Xbox. May I suggest to you to you the Splinter Cell Conviction Xbox 360 package? It is a black console with 2 wireless controllers(black as well) and a 250GB HDD. Either that or get the Final Fantasy XIII package (everything is white).

Each one comes with the respective game

JerryBHayes

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010

It's for my 12 year old son and it's his second one... He has one at his mom's house too. I really want to keep the price down... I am considering replacing the Mother Board, CPU and all the gutts. What do you think? I have a 4 controllers, the cables and a 120GB Hard Drive... I think I can do it for about $100. Do you think it will work?

olkka

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
Arcade should be fine as long as it is Jasper -revision. At least Jaspers don't (shouldn't) have that many RRODs...

Elite is the same as Arcade, but it comes with some extra equipment; HDD etc.