Sign in with
Your question

Help please

Last response: in Motherboards
September 28, 2004 9:26:25 PM

Does anyone esle know how to set up a motherboard? Fit it in the case and such without frying it to death..

As I sit up in my bed looking at all the stars, I begin to wonder... WHERE THE HECK IS MY ROOF!?

More about : question

September 29, 2004 2:36:37 AM

Quote:
Fit it in the case and such without frying it to death..

Assuming you are grounded, not rubbing your feet across shag carpet, and the computer is off, you shouldn't have any problems.

Personally, I always have a spare power supply, or even the one in the case plugged in while working on a computer. Then I frequently touch one of the metal screws to ground myself, and then I try not to move around a whole lot, since I am normally sitting on a couch, and have my feet on carpet.

Just keep yourself grounded, and make sure you only have stand-offs where there are screw holes in the motherboard.

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html&lt;/A>
a b V Motherboard
September 29, 2004 2:47:14 AM

Of course!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
September 29, 2004 3:00:04 AM

Of course what? lol I need help acutlly mounting it in the case..

As I sit up in my bed looking at all the stars, I begin to wonder... WHERE THE HECK IS MY ROOF!?
September 29, 2004 3:36:08 AM

<b><A HREF="http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/index.htm" target="_new"><font color=red>Build your own computer</A></b></font color=red>

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
a b V Motherboard
September 29, 2004 3:54:16 AM

Most boards these days have custom port plates. Pop out the old one, pop in the new one. Look at the mounting points (called Standoffs) and make sure you have the same number of them as you do holes in the board, and that they look like they should line up. Instal the board, and the mounting screws should find the hole as long as the mounting points line up.

Some cases have integrated mounting points (raised spots rather than standoffs) and if you have a board that would short to one, you'll have to figure out how to isolate that point (electric tape usually works.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
September 29, 2004 11:52:10 PM

Thank you SO much. This site really helped a lot, and I'm glad I looked at it, cause I probably would have fried it... I didnt know what the stand off screw things were...

!