Problems with Doom 3

I just downloaded the demo and played it for a couple hours last night and
noticed a problem with the AI.

It stinks.

After getting my weapons, I fired the gun a couple times. Nobody noticed.
Fired it next to a civilian and he doesn't even notice. You would think he
would call out for help. Kill a civilian and nobody notices. The whole
station should be coming down on me at this point!

You can communicate with the other entities in the game, but you are limited
to a single canned response after clicking talk to <insert name>. I'd like
to be able to ask simple questions and get answers. Where is <insert name>?
How do I get to <insert room>? The answers may not be what I expected, but
it should seem to be intelligent. Eliza and other similar programs could do
better over 20 years ago, we should be able to do better than that today.

--
Wow! Those grubs at the Golden Horseshoe Saloon are a good deal!

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 23:16:57 GMT, "Bootstrap Bill" <wrcousert@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I just downloaded the demo and played it for a couple hours last night and
>noticed a problem with the AI.
>
>It stinks.

I tried to get all my pet dogs to verify your claim, and discovered that it
doesn't stink. Then again, it doesn't disperse colone either. But thanks
for trying to provide information about the scent produced by AI
characters.

>After getting my weapons, I fired the gun a couple times. Nobody noticed.
>Fired it next to a civilian and he doesn't even notice. You would think he
>would call out for help. Kill a civilian and nobody notices. The whole
>station should be coming down on me at this point!
>
>You can communicate with the other entities in the game, but you are limited
>to a single canned response after clicking talk to <insert name>. I'd like
>to be able to ask simple questions and get answers. Where is <insert name>?
>How do I get to <insert room>? The answers may not be what I expected, but
>it should seem to be intelligent.

Oh, that's cause they're blind and deaf. No-one cares about those draftees.
:)

"Bootstrap Bill" <wrcousert@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:JRk8d.329352$Fg5.82911@attbi_s53...
>I just downloaded the demo and played it for a couple hours last night and noticed a problem with the AI.
>
> It stinks.
>
> After getting my weapons, I fired the gun a couple times. Nobody noticed. Fired it next to a civilian and he doesn't even notice.
> You would think he would call out for help. Kill a civilian and nobody notices. The whole station should be coming down on me at
> this point!
>
> You can communicate with the other entities in the game, but you are limited to a single canned response after clicking talk to
> The answers may not be what I expected, but it should seem to be intelligent. Eliza and other similar programs could do better
> over 20 years ago, we should be able to do better than that today.

Yeah, they didn't invest much time or effort into the conversational aspect
of the game, did they? Don't worry about not being able to say much to
other humans in the game- after the first coupla levels, you'll hardly ever
get the chance again. It's about shooting critters, not character development,
conversations, or interactive roleplaying.
-Marshall

Umm its a no brain required FPS, your not going to get what you want
froma game like this, not even HalfLife 2 will get you what you want i
think.

Get over it.

<wrcousert@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I just downloaded the demo and played it for a couple hours last night and
>noticed a problem with the AI.
>
>It stinks.
>
>After getting my weapons, I fired the gun a couple times. Nobody noticed.
>Fired it next to a civilian and he doesn't even notice. You would think he
>would call out for help. Kill a civilian and nobody notices. The whole
>station should be coming down on me at this point!
>
>You can communicate with the other entities in the game, but you are limited
>to a single canned response after clicking talk to <insert name>. I'd like
>to be able to ask simple questions and get answers. Where is <insert name>?
>How do I get to <insert room>? The answers may not be what I expected, but
>it should seem to be intelligent. Eliza and other similar programs could do
>better over 20 years ago, we should be able to do better than that today.

"Bootstrap Bill" <wrcousert@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I just downloaded the demo and played it for a couple hours last night and
> noticed a problem with the AI.
>
> It stinks.
>
> After getting my weapons, I fired the gun a couple times. Nobody noticed.
> Fired it next to a civilian and he doesn't even notice. You would think he
> would call out for help. Kill a civilian and nobody notices. The whole
> station should be coming down on me at this point!
>
> You can communicate with the other entities in the game, but you are
limited
> to a single canned response after clicking talk to <insert name>. I'd like
> to be able to ask simple questions and get answers. Where is <insert
name>?
> How do I get to <insert room>? The answers may not be what I expected, but
> it should seem to be intelligent. Eliza and other similar programs could
do
> better over 20 years ago, we should be able to do better than that today.

Sounds like you should be playing Final Fantasy CLXXVII.

--
Cycho{HHR}
http://home.rochester.rr.com/cyhome/

"Bootstrap Bill" <wrcousert@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I just downloaded the demo and played it for a couple hours last night and
>noticed a problem with the AI.
>
> It stinks.
>
> After getting my weapons, I fired the gun a couple times. Nobody noticed.
> Fired it next to a civilian and he doesn't even notice. You would think he
> would call out for help. Kill a civilian and nobody notices. The whole
> station should be coming down on me at this point!
>
> You can communicate with the other entities in the game, but you are
> limited to a single canned response after clicking talk to <insert name>.
> I'd like to be able to ask simple questions and get answers. Where is
> <insert name>? How do I get to <insert room>? The answers may not be what
> I expected, but it should seem to be intelligent. Eliza and other similar
> programs could do better over 20 years ago, we should be able to do better
> than that today.

No, I think that is pretty well the whole AI there.
Most of the game is "communicating" via weapons interface ;-)

Does get tedious after a few levels.

"Bootstrap Bill" <wrcousert@yahoo.com> wrote
> After getting my weapons, I fired the gun a couple times. Nobody noticed.
> Fired it next to a civilian and he doesn't even notice. You would think he
> would call out for help. Kill a civilian and nobody notices. The whole
> station should be coming down on me at this point!

Hehe, I shot a scientist in one level after quickloading
(was tired to hear his story for the second time) and I
was punished for it by that healer-thingie (shoots fire
barriers and teleports more enemies in) teleported
right behind my back... Nice, like "Satan" would mind
if I kill some innocents :)

"Aki Peltola" <aape@POISTAgamma.nic.fi> wrote in message
> "Bootstrap Bill" <wrcousert@yahoo.com> wrote
>> After getting my weapons, I fired the gun a couple times. Nobody noticed.
>> Fired it next to a civilian and he doesn't even notice. You would think
>> he
>> would call out for help. Kill a civilian and nobody notices. The whole
>> station should be coming down on me at this point!
>
> Hehe, I shot a scientist in one level after quickloading
> (was tired to hear his story for the second time) and I
> was punished for it by that healer-thingie (shoots fire
> barriers and teleports more enemies in) teleported
> right behind my back... Nice, like "Satan" would mind
> if I kill some innocents :)

I accidentally killed the marine at the airlock by smacking him on the head
with the flashlight while on my way to find the missing scientist.
;-)

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 08:10:43 +0800, "Blahguy" <z@z.z> wrote:

>"Aki Peltola" <aape@POISTAgamma.nic.fi> wrote in message
>> "Bootstrap Bill" <wrcousert@yahoo.com> wrote
>>> After getting my weapons, I fired the gun a couple times. Nobody noticed.
>>> Fired it next to a civilian and he doesn't even notice. You would think
>>> he
>>> would call out for help. Kill a civilian and nobody notices. The whole
>>> station should be coming down on me at this point!
>>
>> Hehe, I shot a scientist in one level after quickloading
>> (was tired to hear his story for the second time) and I
>> was punished for it by that healer-thingie (shoots fire
>> barriers and teleports more enemies in) teleported
>> right behind my back... Nice, like "Satan" would mind
>> if I kill some innocents :)
>>

>I accidentally killed the marine at the airlock by smacking him on the head
>with the flashlight while on my way to find the missing scientist.
>;-)

ROFL,
hmmmmmm, I thought there were no accidents :)

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 08:10:43 +0800, Blahguy wrote:

> I accidentally killed the marine at the airlock by smacking him on the
> head with the flashlight while on my way to find the missing scientist.
> ;-)

LOL

"Blahguy" <z@z.z> wrote in message

> "Aki Peltola" <aape@POISTAgamma.nic.fi> wrote in message
> > "Bootstrap Bill" <wrcousert@yahoo.com> wrote
> >> After getting my weapons, I fired the gun a couple times. Nobody
noticed.
> >> Fired it next to a civilian and he doesn't even notice. You would think
> >> he
> >> would call out for help. Kill a civilian and nobody notices. The whole
> >> station should be coming down on me at this point!
> >
> > Hehe, I shot a scientist in one level after quickloading
> > (was tired to hear his story for the second time) and I
> > was punished for it by that healer-thingie (shoots fire
> > barriers and teleports more enemies in) teleported
> > right behind my back... Nice, like "Satan" would mind
> > if I kill some innocents :)
> >

> I accidentally killed the marine at the airlock by smacking him on the
head
> with the flashlight while on my way to find the missing scientist.
> ;-)

LOL you are one dangerous dude. I thought I was being rude by swiping the
bullets out of his pistol but at least I didn't beat him to death!