PC-5220 Card is seeing "1X-EVDO"

Last response: in Network Providers
August 14, 2004 6:54:05 AM

Have been noticing today , in downtown Los Angeles my PC-5220 datacard is
seeing "1X-EVDO" at times.
It tries to connect at that speed, but shifts to "1XRTT" and connects. It
did this a few days before Las Vegas went online with 1XEVDO.
Has anyone else been seeing this in California?

More about : 5220 card evdo

Anonymous
August 14, 2004 6:54:06 AM

Have you done a PRL update by running the activation wizard? Might want to
watch http://www.evdo-coverage.com/

--
Thomas M. Goethe

"Rupert P Buttsnort" <Rupert@aol.com> wrote in message
> Have been noticing today , in downtown Los Angeles my PC-5220 datacard is
> seeing "1X-EVDO" at times.
> It tries to connect at that speed, but shifts to "1XRTT" and connects. It
> did this a few days before Las Vegas went online with 1XEVDO.
> Has anyone else been seeing this in California?

Anonymous
August 15, 2004 8:21:41 AM

"Thomas M. Goethe" <goethe11@lycos.com> wrote in message
> Have you done a PRL update by running the activation wizard? Might want to
> watch http://www.evdo-coverage.com/
>

> --
> Thomas M. Goethe
>

> "Rupert P Buttsnort" <Rupert@aol.com> wrote in message
> > Have been noticing today , in downtown Los Angeles my PC-5220 datacard
is
> > seeing "1X-EVDO" at times.
> > It tries to connect at that speed, but shifts to "1XRTT" and connects.
It
> > did this a few days before Las Vegas went online with 1XEVDO.
> > Has anyone else been seeing this in California?
> >

> THANKS! for the info and the tips...right on target.

August 15, 2004 8:21:42 AM

"Rupert P Buttsnort" <Rupert@aol.com> wrote in message
news:p xBTc.4535$%77.335@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com...

> "Thomas M. Goethe" <goethe11@lycos.com> wrote in message
> > Have you done a PRL update by running the activation wizard? Might want
> > watch http://www.evdo-coverage.com/
> >

> > --
> > Thomas M. Goethe
> >

> > "Rupert P Buttsnort" <Rupert@aol.com> wrote in message
> > > Have been noticing today , in downtown Los Angeles my PC-5220 datacard
> is
> > > seeing "1X-EVDO" at times.
> > > It tries to connect at that speed, but shifts to "1XRTT" and connects.
> It
> > > did this a few days before Las Vegas went online with 1XEVDO.
> > > Has anyone else been seeing this in California?
> > >

> > THANKS! for the info and the tips...right on target.

Another thing, while the evdo isn't available yet commercially in LA, they
are testing it and getting it ready. A while back I was in a city that was
going to 1x, and it (the 1x icon) went on and off at unpredictable times
until it went "live".
Hey, here's a thought, take a roadtrip to vegas and see if it works here :)
I'll even make ya a offer, I'm on Boulder Highway across the street from
Sams Town and have a wireless network with three nodes setup. If you want to
take a break from gambling, come on over, we can hook it up and try it.
(sounds silly, but about half the people at tech support think it will work,
and half don't. I'd like to find out for sure)

By the way, which version of the software do you have? There was an older
version that only worked for 1x (was sporadic for broadband, hence a new
version before they started adding cities), and a newer version that
supposedly works for NA and broadband, but that's what the confusion is
about, whether it allows sharing on the network (like the older versions).

Sure can't say if it's your problem, but sounds like a good excuse for a
road trip and finding out :)
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 9:28:11 PM

"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> Another thing, while the evdo isn't available yet commercially in LA, they
> are testing it and getting it ready. A while back I was in a city that was
> going to 1x, and it (the 1x icon) went on and off at unpredictable times
> until it went "live".
> Hey, here's a thought, take a roadtrip to vegas and see if it works here
:)
> I'll even make ya a offer, I'm on Boulder Highway across the street from
> Sams Town and have a wireless network with three nodes setup. If you want
> take a break from gambling, come on over, we can hook it up and try it.
> (sounds silly, but about half the people at tech support think it will
work,
> and half don't. I'd like to find out for sure)
>
> By the way, which version of the software do you have? There was an older
> version that only worked for 1x (was sporadic for broadband, hence a new
> version before they started adding cities), and a newer version that
> supposedly works for NA and broadband, but that's what the confusion is
> about, whether it allows sharing on the network (like the older versions).
>
> Sure can't say if it's your problem, but sounds like a good excuse for a
> road trip and finding out :)
>
> THanks for the offer, Actually we will be there soon. Working on getting
transferred to Las Vegas from Southern Calif.
The PC-5220 is a Ver.8a, Prl is a little old and the update software WONT
RUN! I tried to get the Ver2.5 installer and it says it's not a valid Win
app.
I did however download the VZW access software. You do have the diagnostic
access password right?
If not ...now you do...Click on settings, click on about. RIGHTclick twice
anywhere inside the box and it will ask for the password. Enter ##DEBUG
then enter....remember to enter this in caps.
It will tell you a wealth of info about 1X and EVDO..
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 3:44:26 AM

This guy's site has some info http://www.evdo-coverage.com/

Also, I called tech support and they advised that there is new software
called VZ Access that replaces Mobile Connection Manager. I have 2.3 and my
card is a P8. The guys with the site about says that everyone really needs
the P8a card. Sigh. VZ Access at http://www.verizonwireless.com by going to
the Mobile Options link and following National Access. I haven't had a
chance to install it yet, I'm on the road for the hurricane and don't want
to mess up what is working.

--

> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > Another thing, while the evdo isn't available yet commercially in LA,
they
> > are testing it and getting it ready. A while back I was in a city that
was
> > going to 1x, and it (the 1x icon) went on and off at unpredictable times
> > until it went "live".
> > Hey, here's a thought, take a roadtrip to vegas and see if it works here
> :)
> > I'll even make ya a offer, I'm on Boulder Highway across the street from
> > Sams Town and have a wireless network with three nodes setup. If you
want
> > take a break from gambling, come on over, we can hook it up and try it.
> > (sounds silly, but about half the people at tech support think it will
> work,
> > and half don't. I'd like to find out for sure)
> >
> > By the way, which version of the software do you have? There was an
older
> > version that only worked for 1x (was sporadic for broadband, hence a new
> > version before they started adding cities), and a newer version that
> > supposedly works for NA and broadband, but that's what the confusion is
> > about, whether it allows sharing on the network (like the older
versions).

> > Sure can't say if it's your problem, but sounds like a good excuse for a
> > road trip and finding out :)
> >
> > THanks for the offer, Actually we will be there soon. Working on getting
> transferred to Las Vegas from Southern Calif.
> The PC-5220 is a Ver.8a, Prl is a little old and the update software WONT
> RUN! I tried to get the Ver2.5 installer and it says it's not a valid Win
> app.
> I did however download the VZW access software. You do have the diagnostic
> access password right?
> If not ...now you do...Click on settings, click on about. RIGHTclick twice
> anywhere inside the box and it will ask for the password. Enter ##DEBUG
> then enter....remember to enter this in caps.
> It will tell you a wealth of info about 1X and EVDO..

Anonymous
August 16, 2004 8:42:28 AM

> This guy's site has some info http://www.evdo-coverage.com/
>
> Also, I called tech support and they advised that there is new
software
> called VZ Access that replaces Mobile Connection Manager. I have 2.3 and
my
> card is a P8. The guys with the site about says that everyone really needs
> the P8a card. Sigh. VZ Access at http://www.verizonwireless.com by going
> the Mobile Options link and following National Access. I haven't had a
> chance to install it yet, I'm on the road for the hurricane and don't want
> to mess up what is working.

Yeah, I understand. Will try the new VZW access software tomorrow in
downtown LA, update/report to folllow..
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 3:55:46 AM

TOday (08/18/2004) I was able to vse the 1X-EVDO data service while arovnd
Los Angeles Union Train Station.
By the time we got to Bvrbank it had switched back to 1XRTT.
Bvt it is working........
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 5:45:47 AM

"Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik" <DRFafoofnik@rvmpledanvs.com> wrote in message
> TOday (08/18/2004) I was able to vse the 1X-EVDO data service while arovnd
> Los Angeles Union Train Station.
> By the time we got to Bvrbank it had switched back to 1XRTT.
> Bvt it is working........

For the switch from 1xEVDO to 1xRTT, did the system disconnect yov (change
yovr IP address)?
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 6:18:30 AM

"P T Wang" <news1003@pavltwang.com> wrote in message

> "Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik" <DRFafoofnik@rvmpledanvs.com> wrote in message
> > TOday (08/18/2004) I was able to vse the 1X-EVDO data service while
arovnd
> > Los Angeles Union Train Station.
> > By the time we got to Bvrbank it had switched back to 1XRTT.
> > Bvt it is working........
>
> For the switch from 1xEVDO to 1xRTT, did the system disconnect yov (change
> yovr IP address)?

No, the handoff was seamless! was in the middle of a VOIP session and it
didnt disconnect or change Ip address.
I was vsing the older connection manager and kept the window on top to see
what it was doing.
It's getting better and better.

Anonymous
August 30, 2004 9:17:24 AM

I was at Union Station in downtown L.A. late Svnday nite (8/29) and
didn't see any sign of evdo with my 5220 card. Any fvrther chatter
abovt it in the area?

On Svn, 15 Avg 2004 17:28:11 GMT, "Rvpert P Bvttsnort"
<Rvpert@aol.com> wrote:

>"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> Another thing, while the evdo isn't available yet commercially in LA, they
>> are testing it and getting it ready. A while back I was in a city that was
>> going to 1x, and it (the 1x icon) went on and off at vnpredictable times
>> vntil it went "live".
>> Hey, here's a thovght, take a roadtrip to vegas and see if it works here
>:)
>> I'll even make ya a offer, I'm on Bovlder Highway across the street from
>> Sams Town and have a wireless network with three nodes setvp. If yov want
>> take a break from gambling, come on over, we can hook it vp and try it.
>> (sovnds silly, bvt abovt half the people at tech svpport think it will
>work,
>> and half don't. I'd like to find ovt for svre)
>>
>> By the way, which version of the software do yov have? There was an older
>> version that only worked for 1x (was sporadic for broadband, hence a new
>> version before they started adding cities), and a newer version that
>> svpposedly works for NA and broadband, bvt that's what the confvsion is
>> abovt, whether it allows sharing on the network (like the older versions).
>>
>> Svre can't say if it's yovr problem, bvt sovnds like a good excvse for a
>> road trip and finding ovt :)
>>
>> THanks for the offer, Actvally we will be there soon. Working on getting
>transferred to Las Vegas from Sovthern Calif.
>The PC-5220 is a Ver.8a, Prl is a little old and the vpdate software WONT
>RUN! I tried to get the Ver2.5 installer and it says it's not a valid Win
>app.
>I did however download the VZW access software. Yov do have the diagnostic
>access password right?
>If not ...now yov do...Click on settings, click on abovt. RIGHTclick twice
>anywhere inside the box and it will ask for the password. Enter ##DEBUG
>then enter....remember to enter this in caps.
>It will tell yov a wealth of info abovt 1X and EVDO..

Anonymous
August 30, 2004 11:42:37 PM

Any word about this coming to Chicago? Any time-frame for roll-out?
Emanuel
--
1983 Porsche 911
1983 Porsche 944

There's good news and bad news today on the evdo front in Los Angeles
area. As most probably know, the verizon network has been
experiencing problems yesterday and these continue today including
disconnects, unable to login, latency, and sluggish dns look up.
However, starting around 7am local time I have been getting flashes of
evdo on my MCM indicator in the west Long Beach area (L.A. harbor by
terminal island). Looks like testing is beginning here.

A question for those who have the VzAccess Manager .. How do we "see"
when its on evdo as opposed to 1xrtt other than by running a speed
guage application?

DB

!