New Shuttle XPC Purchase Advice?

Stratos

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Hi Everyone, hope i'm not posting in the wrong section!

Been wanting to get the SB75G2 for some time, but was holding off till the new shuttles came out and things become more affordable. I think I would be taking the plunge soon, but trying to be as careful as i can and plan the parts well to minimise any heart ache later, as I have been bitten many times due to impluse buying!

This would be the second XPC that I would be getting, after my SB61G2, that has buzzing problems, SATA problems, overheating problems. It currently holds a 2.8C P4, Maxtor 80gb HDD, ELSA GFX 5600, 1 gig Kingston RAM, Sony DVD drive. Need this second XPC for the office and don't want it to fail on me!

Was considering of getting 2 SATA HDDs, but read somewhere in this forum that many are having problems with that. Any feedback on this?

Would be sticking to my old Geforce 4600Ti, will be trying to hang on to this one for as long as possible!

Not sure if the SB75G2 comes with the new silentX PSU?

Processor wise, was actually thinking of getting a 3.0C Northwood. Not sure if higher would be a better deal, and am shying away from Prescott because of heat issues?

was looking through the Shuttle website, and the CPU recommendations stated:
"Remarks
1.Intel Pentium 4 support with 533/800 MHz FSB. 2.Support Hyper Threading Technology. 3.BOM 11 to BOM 13 supported Prescott core up to 2.8G CPU only. 4.BOM 14 supported all of the Prescott core series CPU. "

Quick question, this BOM would not be referring to the BIOs right? If it were build date then I'd be worried.
If anyone thinks there would be better XPC purchase combinations, I'm very open to enlightenment

Am looking toward getting as much RAM as possible as I frequently work with very large picture files in Photoshop, and my current SB61G2 doesn't seem to be cut out for it, with 1 gig of Kingston Value RAM.

Prolly going to get a Black TDK DVD writer to match the black case.

Does anyone know how to tell if the SB75G2 is version 1 or 2? I keep hearing of people with a v2 but can only find one version on the shuttle website.

On the other hand, am very tempted to go with the Shuttle XPC SN95G5. But at the same time, am thinking that if i get a mature product in the case of the SB75G2, maybe the bios revisions are good and stable.
Also am pretty urked about getting the new nforce chipset and yet not having the hardware firewall and only having 2 USB ports at the back.
Very attracted yet still hesitating to jump onto the AMD64 bandwagon. As have been hearing lots of problems with the new SN95G5.
More or less decided against getting the new Intel socket 775s as PCIe VGAs are really too costly for me right now

Would welcome any advice!

Thanks in advance.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Which Shuttle PC to purchase? Get a real box. With all the major manufacturers producing Micro ATX versions of their high-midrange boards, you could build a REAL system that's only a tad bigger than the cubes but with much more expandability, and full access to a wide array of parts.

I just got my free Opus TT-501 case delivered today, nearly 2x the height of a cube but only 2/3 as wide. That narrower width means it takes up less space on your desk. It also includes a 300W power supply and has 2 80mm fans on the rear for exhaust.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>