Sign in with
Your question

GTA4 lagging on low settings.

Last response: in Video Games
June 15, 2010 4:21:30 PM

I have a intel core 2 duo 2.66ghz,2gb ram and ati 5550 1gb ddr3.During the game gta4 i get very unstable fps like sometimes it goes to 50 and the next second goes to 10-15 even at lowest resolution and graphic settings.This is making the game unplayable.what do i need to do?
June 15, 2010 4:54:05 PM

GTAIV is notoriously horrible on PC, as the coding on it was sloppily done. I have to run my settings on "Medium" in order to play it at a playable FPS, and I have a brand new computer. Even at Medium it still spikes at some points. Pretty sad that they had to be lazy and ruin what could have been an amazing PC game.
June 15, 2010 6:28:59 PM

karanpal singh said:
I have a intel core 2 duo 2.66ghz,2gb ram and ati 5550 1gb ddr3.During the game gta4 i get very unstable fps like sometimes it goes to 50 and the next second goes to 10-15 even at lowest resolution and graphic settings.This is making the game unplayable.what do i need to do?

The 5550, taking into account it's positioning between the 5670 & 5450, is good enough for fairly low resolutions 1280 X 1024/800 & so on, for the most demanding games. If you play at any higher resolution than this, you're being GPU limited. In that case, play at a lower resolution.

Other than that, reinstall the latest catalyst drivers, only after completely removing any older ones.
Related resources
June 18, 2010 7:43:39 PM

Even dual core CPUs struggle with this game. It's been found that 3 or 4 cores can make a difference.
June 23, 2010 5:05:18 PM

Well i just switched to windows xp and gta is running great with 25-35 fps on medium settings.enjoying gta4...
June 29, 2010 9:34:05 AM

i'm refering to my previous post that i put up regarding my lag in this game:

my specs:
Core2Duo E8500 3.16Ghz running at 3.5Ghz
GTX 260 Overclocked
2 GiG RAM
600W PSU

even with my specs, i had to tone down the resolution, graphical details and quality of picture.

From what other people told me on Tom's hardware, is that the game was ported straight from the XBox 360 Version and so average pc's would definitely struggle playing this game!

to match an Xbox, you'll need a really high end pc, very disappointing from Rockstar to do this, because i'm a huge GTA fan and to play the game with lags, and poor resolutions, kinda put me off a bit! I haven't played Episodes from Liberty City, so I just hope they didnt do the same here!!

hope this explains your frustrations as it did mine!

Dane
June 29, 2010 12:29:11 PM

Dane Bouwer said:
i'm refering to my previous post that i put up regarding my lag in this game:

my specs:
Core2Duo E8500 3.16Ghz running at 3.5Ghz
GTX 260 Overclocked
2 GiG RAM
600W PSU

even with my specs, i had to tone down the resolution, graphical details and quality of picture.

From what other people told me on Tom's hardware, is that the game was ported straight from the XBox 360 Version and so average pc's would definitely struggle playing this game!

to match an Xbox, you'll need a really high end pc, very disappointing from Rockstar to do this, because i'm a huge GTA fan and to play the game with lags, and poor resolutions, kinda put me off a bit! I haven't played Episodes from Liberty City, so I just hope they didnt do the same here!!

hope this explains your frustrations as it did mine!

Dane

Dane, one question. Did you happen to download the latest patches? I know that they provide a lot more tweaking parameters that might allow the game to run better. The last patch came out a month or so ago (I could be wrong, it might have been longer) that definitely allowed the user to tweak the graphics even more.

I do know that Steam didn't apply this patch for some reason, so I downloaded it myself and applied it and it definitely improved things even more for my system.

You might want to look into that as well. However, your system is old and won't be able to keep up any longer. Sooner or later, it will be time to bite the bullet and upgrade.

Good luck!

June 29, 2010 1:50:50 PM

true isamuelson,

i'll upgrade with my next pay check upgrade!! thanks for the patch info, nobody told me this and i'll look it up ASAP!

thanks for the heads up!!!
June 29, 2010 3:28:24 PM

Dane Bouwer said:
true isamuelson,

i'll upgrade with my next pay check upgrade!! thanks for the patch info, nobody told me this and i'll look it up ASAP!

thanks for the heads up!!!

No problem. I don't know how well it will work for you, but even with my system which is not a slouch, the patch helped since it allowed me to tweak a lot more settings than it initially allowed when it was first released.

So hopefully, it might get you something, but running on a 5550 isn't probably doing you much good. I have a 5750 and it gets around 40 fps which is really playable for the game. If you can get it to stay around 35 fps, I think you'll do fine. Just not sure how good the patch will help but it's worth a try.
!