Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PC Ports and anti aliasing

Last response: in Video Games
June 15, 2010 7:55:32 PM

Hi guys. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that games ported to PC from console don't allow any anti aliasing options. I don't have extensive experience with this but 2 games I've fairly recently tried playing are Dark Void and Mass Effect. Neither game has anti aliasing options that I can recall. I just end up having to force AA through Catalyst Control Center, but it's a pain to remember what settings I'm on all the time I wish I could just set the game settings and be done with it.

More about : ports anti aliasing

Best solution

June 15, 2010 8:31:49 PM

Mass Effect runs on the Unreal Engine, which due to the way it handles textures, is incapable of doing normal anti-alising techniques. All Unreal based games have this issue. A handful get special AA algorithms, but its a fault of the engine itself.

A lot of console titles also use software based AA, which considering the difference between CPU and GPU power, makes more sense for them anyways...
June 15, 2010 9:19:46 PM

Ah so it's the Unreal engine, I noticed Dark Void also uses it. I guess I'll just have to stick with forcing the AA through Catalyst Control Center.
m
l
Related resources
June 15, 2010 9:24:55 PM

Best answer selected by Wolfram23.
m
l
June 15, 2010 9:41:48 PM

I cant speak for ati, but the nvidia control panel lets you set different settings for each game if you want
m
l
!