Why new OS with new mobo?

inquiring

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2002
Why must I reinstall my OS when I install a new mobo?
If I have a couple of apps and mostly data on a slaved HD to the drive I install the new OS too, will there be any software problems?

I intend to use WIN XP Pro.

Thank you.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
It is always better to start clean when replacing the motherboard but it is not always necissary. I have had success and failure in trying it in the past. If you are going to a new motherboard that has the same/simmilar chipset as your old one you shouldn't have to many problems. If you are going to a completely different chipset then I'd highly recommend a reformat or at least a windows repair after installing it. As always back up important things before attempting anything.

Doing a repair/reformat does kill your registry entries for apps so you may need to reinstall some of them. Most apps are ok without registry entries but some won't run w/o them.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

mjjohn

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
Just did this on a friends pc. I got lucky. Booted up after installing the new board and Windows loaded all the new drivers needed. I had to reboot several times. When it finished all of the programs worked fine. I would tell you though that you should do this with the idea that it is not going to work. Hopefully you will be lucky also.

For it is not what is seen, but what is not seen. :eek: