Is 2 MB internet speed worth for online gaming

johnnyq8

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
im planing to swap my 3g modem with home DSL at 2 mb speed the download will be 250 KB/s is it good for online playing and by the way i can boost the upload speed at anytime just one phone call to the company and they will do it

OllieUK

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
My '8MB' ADSL connection never realistically gets above 2 - 2.5Mb and that works just fie for gaming so you should be good. I get the odd connection error but I'm pretty sure it's software errors rather than connectivity issues.

Collie147

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
the 2mb speed is literally the max you'll ever get out of it, and with line attenuation and other factors you'll probably get a max of 1/1.5 realisticly. I have 30 meg connection and i get maybe 15 at most. but 2 mb dsl will certainly improve your gaming quality over a 3g modem!

openi3

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
For gaming, what you're calling speed is actually bandwidth.
Bandwidth is how much data you can xfer per second. If you can play your game without it locking/lagging then this is not the problem.
Speed is how fast the system responds to a particular data request. You might have heard of people doing a google "ping" to see how fast their connection is. Good values are relative and depend on both the network you're connected to and how far you are from the target server (hence multiple servers around the world). sub 100ms is good but lower is even better.
Lastly, you need to evaluate contention ratios. Contention ratios are simply how many times the same bandwidth is sold. Seeing as not everyone uses their full bandwidth at the same time, companies can sell it a few times over. This is hardest to evaluate but to get an idea of what the contention ratios are on your network, look at 10 google ping results and see if there's a big difference between the highest and lowest values. That should tell you if there are too many people connected to the same servers.
cb

tkrl26

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010

I would 2nd that... but add a simpler way of saying it. If your connection is dedicated, then yes it will be fine. Odds are its not, so you will not see those speeds. I would suggest, uping it to 768K up and 5(min) down, this will give you some leeway... example I have 768k up, I normally only get 540k up. And I allowed 22Mb down, but I only see about 15Mb... Speedtest.net and pingtest.net are great sites to rate your connection.