Sign in with
Your question

64 bit OS and latest hardware, 32 bit games compatibility ?

Last response: in Video Games
June 16, 2010 2:01:20 PM

I am getting a PC made with the following config -

Asus P7H55DM-Pro
Core i5 750 Processor
4 GB DDR3 Ram @ 1333Mhz
Creative SoundBlaster Audigy Sound Card
MSI 5770 HAWK
CoolerMaster 650W SMPS
Coolermaster Elite 335 Case
Seagate 1 TB HDD with 32 MB Buffer @ 7200rpm
Samsung DVD Writer / CD Writer drive
Logitech MX 518
Logitech Standard keyboard
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Now my question is -
Will all these hardware components come with a 64 bit driver included in the respective driver CD/DVD or will they have only 32bitdrivers and I'll have to download from the internet ? And will upgrading my RAM to maybe 6GB or 8GB will be beneficial or not in the long run ? How well will the existing games like Crysis and Far Cry 2 run on this rig and is the rig powerful enough to hold juice for a few years in the future?
June 16, 2010 8:46:48 PM

I would bet money on it that 90% of your hardware will be installed out of the gates with Windows 7. Their HAL has come along way. I would say the only thing you should download from the manufacture's website are the Mombo's chipset drivers, and GFX drivers. They should all have x64 drivers for your hardware available.

When it comes to RAM, the more the better :) ... 6 Gigs is great for now, 8 will be great for the long hall. To put it in perspective I run with 4 Gig's of DDR3 1333, in game (BF2BC2, APB, MW2) I am only using 55-60% of my RAM availability.... Eventually I will upgrade to 8, but that will not be till prices drop dramatically.

There is no such thing as future proof... but all you will need to do is upgrade (in the future) your GFX card and PSU and that will hold you over for a while.

I am currently using a Q9550, and I don't plan on upgrading for another 3-4 years. Most games are not multi-threaded for 4+ cores as far as I am aware of.

Added: All my games are 32 bit, you will not have an issue with that :) ...
m
l
June 16, 2010 8:59:26 PM

Save a few ££'s, drop Win7 Ultimate and get Professional. 99% identical and the stuff missing isn't worth the extra ££'s.

Also don't get the Creative SoundBlaster Audigy as the onboard Realtek ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio is perfectly good for gaming and music, unless your a professional audio guy and then you wouldn't get it even then.
m
l
Related resources
June 17, 2010 11:58:27 AM

Don't bother with the Audigy; its an older card, and even some onboard chipsets offer the same quality. If you want a decent sound card, look at HT Omega, ASUS, or Auzentech.

As for your question, all software should work fine in 64-bit windows; its drivers that tend to be the problem (and even that is minimal). I'd go with 64-bit Windows and at least 6GB of RAM.
m
l
June 17, 2010 12:19:18 PM

Go for 8gb, ram is relatively cheap, im running 8gb, win7 ultimate 64 bit and have had no issues at all with drivers or games so go for it. Im sure windows boots a lot quicker as well in 64bit....
m
l
June 17, 2010 9:27:11 PM

Captainhero said:
Go for 8gb, ram is relatively cheap, im running 8gb, win7 ultimate 64 bit and have had no issues at all with drivers or games so go for it. Im sure windows boots a lot quicker as well in 64bit....

Well actually 8gb RAM may not be my cup of tea cause I am getting 6 GB RAM at just $10 extra from my PC hardware retailer whereas the 8gb RAM is costing quite a bit more, though I don't want to pester you anymore but another stupid question I have -

Will the Asus guys be kind enough to include the 64bit versions of their drivers on their CD or will I have to manually download each and every thing from the internet ? And is this the same case with my Graphics Card and sound card or what ? Also, till what level will be the difference in performance between 4gb and 6gb RAM ? Also, i am gonna be running Adobe photoshop CS 2 on that PC so is that software multi-core optimized ?

Thanks for your patience!
m
l
June 17, 2010 9:52:54 PM

das_stig said:
Save a few ££'s, drop Win7 Ultimate and get Professional. 99% identical and the stuff missing isn't worth the extra ££'s.

Also don't get the Creative SoundBlaster Audigy as the onboard Realtek ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio is perfectly good for gaming and music, unless your a professional audio guy and then you wouldn't get it even then.

Well I'll surely consider the sound card advice that you've given to me ! :) 
Also, all those inbuilt Asus overclocking utilities like Turbo key, motherboard monitor etc. will be in 32bit, so won't it be problematic ? Coz i don't think the 64bit versions would be bundled alongwith it in the drivers CD/DVD, if they will be or you think so then please do clarify !

And can you just point out the basic differences between Win 7 Ultimate 64bit and between its professional version ?
I AM :o  BEING SKEPTICAL B'COZ THIS IS MY FIRST SWITCHOVER TO 64bit FROM 32bit :ouch:  :ouch:  :ouch:  :ouch:  :pfff:  :pfff:  :pfff:  !
TY !
m
l
June 18, 2010 12:23:51 PM

Okay people I have uped the ante from MSI 5770 i am switching over to Sapphire 5850, so will the 650W coolermaster SMPS be enough to power it with juice ? considering that I dont plan on overclocking it
m
l
June 18, 2010 1:22:04 PM

dont use software to overclock, do it through the bios. you can always post in the overclocking forum, i had a load of help there.
make sure the psu has the correct power connectors for the gfx card, 2x 6pin i think..
64 bit os seems to know what its doing with 32bit apps, as i mentioned previously no probs for me and i run a combination of both.
Photoshop is also multi core optimised.
The more ram you have the less your pagefile has to do, ram is faster than a hdd pagefile so quicker loading times for apps and games etc.
Win 7 ultimate has loads of stuff you dont need like bitlocker and business network utilities, the pro version or or home would be fine.
m
l
June 18, 2010 6:10:35 PM

Captainhero said:
dont use software to overclock, do it through the bios. you can always post in the overclocking forum, i had a load of help there.
make sure the psu has the correct power connectors for the gfx card, 2x 6pin i think..
64 bit os seems to know what its doing with 32bit apps, as i mentioned previously no probs for me and i run a combination of both.
Photoshop is also multi core optimised.
The more ram you have the less your pagefile has to do, ram is faster than a hdd pagefile so quicker loading times for apps and games etc.
Win 7 ultimate has loads of stuff you dont need like bitlocker and business network utilities, the pro version or or home would be fine.

Thanks !!
m
l
!