Doom3 linux demo, client/server, etc. out..

It's finally out and I can't get it to work....

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/doom3/downloads/

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 03:30:23 -0400, orison wrote:

> It's finally out and I can't get it to work....

Why not?

Linux Registered User #327951

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 03:30:23 -0400, orison wrote:

> It's finally out and I can't get it to work....
>
> http://www.3dgamers.com/games/doom3/downloads/

Got it to work fin out of the box with my FC 2 setup. Using FC2 2.6.7-n
some change kernel, Athlon 3200+ & Geforce FX 5600.

If you could throw us a bone and tell us specifically what or where
doesn't work, I'd be glad to help.

Ben Z

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 23:34:34 -0500, Ben Zielinski wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 03:30:23 -0400, orison wrote:
>
>> It's finally out and I can't get it to work....
>>
>> http://www.3dgamers.com/games/doom3/downloads/
>
> Got it to work fin out of the box with my FC 2 setup. Using FC2 2.6.7-n
> some change kernel, Athlon 3200+ & Geforce FX 5600.
>
> If you could throw us a bone and tell us specifically what or where
> doesn't work, I'd be glad to help.
>
> Ben Z

Oh yes. Sorry. I think I was just really too sleepy to go into it when I
posted the link. Here's what my console looks like. Sorry if it's a long
posting. I did the install, copied the pk4 files from my windows
installation, and then did the install, again. That has usually worked for
quake3 and wolf, but for some reason, I'm getting an error about Opengl
not working?

DOOM 1.1.1282 linux-x86 Oct 4 2004 08:21:14
Hostname: localhost.localdomain
Alias: localhost
IP: 127.0.0.1
------ Initializing File System ------
Loaded pk4 /usr/local/games/doom3/base/game00.pk4 with checksum 0x7dafc4d4
Loaded pk4 /usr/local/games/doom3/base/game01.pk4 with checksum 0x16cf3b8a
Loaded pk4 /usr/local/games/doom3/base/pak000.pk4 with checksum 0x28d208f1
Loaded pk4 /usr/local/games/doom3/base/pak001.pk4 with checksum 0x40244be0
Loaded pk4 /usr/local/games/doom3/base/pak002.pk4 with checksum 0xc51ecdcd
Loaded pk4 /usr/local/games/doom3/base/pak003.pk4 with checksum 0xcd79d028
Loaded pk4 /usr/local/games/doom3/base/pak004.pk4 with checksum 0x765e4f8b
Loaded pk4 /usr/local/games/doom3/base/pak005.pk4 with checksum 0x8ffc3621
Current search path:
/root/.doom3/base
/usr/local/games/doom3/base
/usr/local/games/doom3/base/pak005.pk4 (63 files)
/usr/local/games/doom3/base/pak004.pk4 (5137 files)
/usr/local/games/doom3/base/pak003.pk4 (4676 files)
/usr/local/games/doom3/base/pak002.pk4 (6120 files)
/usr/local/games/doom3/base/pak001.pk4 (8972 files)
/usr/local/games/doom3/base/pak000.pk4 (2698 files)
/usr/local/games/doom3/base/game01.pk4 (2 files)
/usr/local/games/doom3/base/game00.pk4 (2 files)
game DLL: 0x0 in pak: 0x0
file system initialized.
--------------------------------------
----- Initializing Decls -----
------------------------------
------- Initializing renderSystem --------
using ARB renderSystem
renderSystem initialized.
--------------------------------------
5151 strings read from strings/english.lang
Couldn't open journal files
execing editor.cfg
execing default.cfg
couldn't exec DoomConfig.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
5151 strings read from strings/english.lang
----- Initializing Sound System ------
sound system initialized.
--------------------------------------
----- R_InitOpenGL -----
dlopen(libGL.so.1)
Open X display
Initializing OpenGL display
Using XFree86-VidModeExtension Version 2.2
DGA DirectVideo Mouse (Version 2.0) initialized
Free86-VidModeExtension Activated at 640x480
Couldn't get a visual
dlopen(libGL.so.1)
Initializing OpenGL display
Using XFree86-VidModeExtension Version 2.2
DGA DirectVideo Mouse (Version 2.0) initialized
Free86-VidModeExtension Activated at 640x480
Couldn't get a visual
idRenderSystem::Shutdown()
Fatal X Error:
Major opcode of failed request: 105
Minor opcode of failed request: 0
Serial number of failed request: 38
BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
Fatal X Error:
Major opcode of failed request: 2
Minor opcode of failed request: 0
Serial number of failed request: 42
BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Fatal X Error:
Major opcode of failed request: 4
Minor opcode of failed request: 0
Serial number of failed request: 43
BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Sys_Error: Unable to initialize OpenGL

graeme

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 00:52:36 -0400, orison wrote:
> Oh yes. Sorry. I think I was just really too sleepy to go into it when I
> posted the link. Here's what my console looks like. Sorry if it's a long
> posting. I did the install, copied the pk4 files from my windows
> installation, and then did the install, again. That has usually worked for
> quake3 and wolf, but for some reason, I'm getting an error about Opengl
> not working?

I was getting an error like that, changing X's bpp from 16 to 24 was the
fix.

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 19:25:33 +1300, Graeme wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 00:52:36 -0400, orison wrote:
>> Oh yes. Sorry. I think I was just really too sleepy to go into it when
>> I posted the link. Here's what my console looks like. Sorry if it's a
>> long posting. I did the install, copied the pk4 files from my windows
>> installation, and then did the install, again. That has usually worked
>> for quake3 and wolf, but for some reason, I'm getting an error about
>> Opengl not working?
>
> I was getting an error like that, changing X's bpp from 16 to 24 was the
> fix.

You rock! I changed the Defaultcolordepth from 16 to 24 in my
XF86Config-4 file, and it works. Not only that, but I'm getting faster
framerates in Linux. I ran the timedemo and my fps increased by 5 or so at
the High setting at 1024x768 I'm getting 18.2fps with my hardware. Now I
just need to figure out how to get to the nvidia linux control panel to
increase my gamma.

Athlon XP 2200+
nforce 2 chipset, 512mb ram
128mb Geforce FX 5700 ultra 8x AGP

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 04:14:32 -0400, orison wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 19:25:33 +1300, Graeme wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 00:52:36 -0400, orison wrote:
>>> Oh yes. Sorry. I think I was just really too sleepy to go into it when
>>> I posted the link. Here's what my console looks like. Sorry if it's a
>>> long posting. I did the install, copied the pk4 files from my windows
>>> installation, and then did the install, again. That has usually worked
>>> for quake3 and wolf, but for some reason, I'm getting an error about
>>> Opengl not working?
>>
>> I was getting an error like that, changing X's bpp from 16 to 24 was the
>> fix.
>
> You rock! I changed the Defaultcolordepth from 16 to 24 in my
> XF86Config-4 file, and it works. Not only that, but I'm getting faster
> framerates in Linux. I ran the timedemo and my fps increased by 5 or so at
> the High setting at 1024x768 I'm getting 18.2fps with my hardware. Now I
> just need to figure out how to get to the nvidia linux control panel to
> increase my gamma.
>
> Athlon XP 2200+
> nforce 2 chipset, 512mb ram
> 128mb Geforce FX 5700 ultra 8x AGP

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention that I'm using Mandrake 9.2.

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 04:14:32 -0400, orison wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 19:25:33 +1300, Graeme wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 00:52:36 -0400, orison wrote:
>>> Oh yes. Sorry. I think I was just really too sleepy to go into it when
>>> I posted the link. Here's what my console looks like. Sorry if it's a
>>> long posting. I did the install, copied the pk4 files from my windows
>>> installation, and then did the install, again. That has usually worked
>>> for quake3 and wolf, but for some reason, I'm getting an error about
>>> Opengl not working?
>>
>> I was getting an error like that, changing X's bpp from 16 to 24 was the
>> fix.
>
> You rock! I changed the Defaultcolordepth from 16 to 24 in my
> XF86Config-4 file, and it works. Not only that, but I'm getting faster
> framerates in Linux. I ran the timedemo and my fps increased by 5 or so at
> the High setting at 1024x768 I'm getting 18.2fps with my hardware. Now I
> just need to figure out how to get to the nvidia linux control panel to
> increase my gamma.
>
> Athlon XP 2200+
> nforce 2 chipset, 512mb ram
> 128mb Geforce FX 5700 ultra 8x AGP

Sorry it took longer than expected for me to reply (the joys of work)
Good to know that 24 bpp got you up and going. I'm curious to know though
how you're getting those timedemo numbers. With a xp 3200+, 1gig ddr400,
nforce 2 chipset (asus a7n8x-x) and geforce fx 5600 8x agp and FC2 I'm
only getting single digit timedemos at 1024*768 and in game has been 10-15
fps.

Good to know that the game shows some potential on *nix though either way.

Ben Z

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 04:15:42 -0400, orison <orison@mindspring.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 04:14:32 -0400, orison wrote:

>>> I was getting an error like that, changing X's bpp from 16 to 24 was the
>>> fix.
>>
>> You rock! I changed the Defaultcolordepth from 16 to 24 in my
>> XF86Config-4 file, and it works. Not only that, but I'm getting faster
>> framerates in Linux. I ran the timedemo and my fps increased by 5 or so at
>> the High setting at 1024x768 I'm getting 18.2fps with my hardware. Now I
>> just need to figure out how to get to the nvidia linux control panel to
>> increase my gamma.
>>
>> Athlon XP 2200+
>> nforce 2 chipset, 512mb ram
>> 128mb Geforce FX 5700 ultra 8x AGP
>
>Oh yeah. I forgot to mention that I'm using Mandrake 9.2.

The game has a console command r_gamma n.n
where n.n is between 1.0 and 3.0

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 15:44:07 +0000, Diver wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 04:15:42 -0400, orison <orison@mindspring.com> wrote:

>>> You rock! I changed the Defaultcolordepth from 16 to 24 in my
>>> XF86Config-4 file, and it works. Not only that, but I'm getting faster
>>> framerates in Linux. I ran the timedemo and my fps increased by 5 or so
>>> at the High setting at 1024x768 I'm getting 18.2fps with my hardware.
>>> Now I just need to figure out how to get to the nvidia linux control
>>> panel to increase my gamma.
>>>
>>> Athlon XP 2200+
>>> nforce 2 chipset, 512mb ram
>>> 128mb Geforce FX 5700 ultra 8x AGP
>>
>>Oh yeah. I forgot to mention that I'm using Mandrake 9.2.
>>

> The game has a console command r_gamma n.n where n.n is between 1.0 and
> 3.0

Beginning with the 6106 nvidia linux drivers, there is a utility called
nvidia-settings that you can run and it works like the nvidia control
panel in windows. Doesn't have all the features, but enough to let me
tweak brightness, Anti-aliasing, antisotropic filter, etc.

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 15:44:07 +0000, Diver wrote:

>Oh yeah. I forgot to mention that I'm using Mandrake 9.2.
>>

> The game has a console command r_gamma n.n where n.n is between 1.0 and
> 3.0

I ended up setting this to 2, as the control panel wasn't helping. I even
had to lower the brightness in the game to give it a good feel with
shadows.

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 18:28:26 -0500, Ben Zielinski wrote:

>> Athlon XP 2200+
>> nforce 2 chipset, 512mb ram
>> 128mb Geforce FX 5700 ultra 8x AGP
>

> Sorry it took longer than expected for me to reply (the joys of work)
> Good to know that 24 bpp got you up and going. I'm curious to know
> though how you're getting those timedemo numbers. With a xp 3200+, 1gig
> ddr400, nforce 2 chipset (asus a7n8x-x) and geforce fx 5600 8x agp and
> FC2 I'm only getting single digit timedemos at 1024*768 and in game has
> been 10-15 fps.
>
> Good to know that the game shows some potential on *nix though either
> way.
>
> Ben Z

I've been rather curious about my seemingly unbelievable performance,
myself, since I've heard other people with rigs more powerful than mine
talk about framerates lower than mine, so I decided to run some tests.
Keep in mind that I took PC Gamer's advice and run the demo twice, taking
the 2nd result because the first time the game does a lot of caching,
somewhat skewing the results.

Test 1 results:
2148 frames in 118.1 seconds
18.2fps, AA turned off in game
4X Bilinear AA, 4XAF turned on in the driver's control panel.

Test 2 results:
2148 frames in 158.0 seconds
13.6 fps, AA turned off in game
Not overriding the games AA and AF settings in the control panel

Test 3 results:
2148 frames in 158.0 seconds
13.6 fps, 4x AA turned on in-game
Not overriding settings via control panel

TEst 4 results:
2148 in 166.3 seconds
12.9fps, 4X AA turned on in game
4XAA, 4XAF turned on in the driver via control panel

All tests were done at 1024x768 resolution. I'm thinking that there's
something quirky with the driver because when AA was not turned on via the
game, I saw a lot of diagonal lines even though it was supposed to be 4x
AA in the driver. This leads me to believe that the driver does not really
override the AA and AF settings in doom3, and that the high fps I was
getting in the first test was due to no antialiasing at all. The only
thing I can think of is that I use the built-in sound on the motherboard.
I, too, have an Asus A78NX mobo. I would have thought that your faster cpu
and more ram would have compensated and brought about higher scores than
my slower cpu and faster vid card. Maybe you use a sound card instead of
the onboard sound? I was running the game from Gnome 1.4.

The sound isn't as good in linux as it is in windows. In winfish, the
shotgun sounds like a cannon, but it doesn't pack as much of a punch in
linux. Maybe this is what other people have been complaining about. Heh.
The other cool thing I've noticed is that you don't need to cd to play the
game when you're in linux.

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 00:50:34 -0400, orison wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 18:28:26 -0500, Ben Zielinski wrote:
>

>>> Athlon XP 2200+
>>> nforce 2 chipset, 512mb ram
>>> 128mb Geforce FX 5700 ultra 8x AGP
>>

>> Sorry it took longer than expected for me to reply (the joys of work)
>> Good to know that 24 bpp got you up and going. I'm curious to know
>> though how you're getting those timedemo numbers. With a xp 3200+, 1gig
>> ddr400, nforce 2 chipset (asus a7n8x-x) and geforce fx 5600 8x agp and
>> FC2 I'm only getting single digit timedemos at 1024*768 and in game has
>> been 10-15 fps.
>>
>> Good to know that the game shows some potential on *nix though either
>> way.
>>
>> Ben Z
>
> I've been rather curious about my seemingly unbelievable performance,
> myself, since I've heard other people with rigs more powerful than mine
> talk about framerates lower than mine, so I decided to run some tests.
> Keep in mind that I took PC Gamer's advice and run the demo twice, taking
> the 2nd result because the first time the game does a lot of caching,
> somewhat skewing the results.
>
> Test 1 results:
> 2148 frames in 118.1 seconds
> 18.2fps, AA turned off in game
> 4X Bilinear AA, 4XAF turned on in the driver's control panel.
>
> Test 2 results:
> 2148 frames in 158.0 seconds
> 13.6 fps, AA turned off in game
> Not overriding the games AA and AF settings in the control panel
>
> Test 3 results:
> 2148 frames in 158.0 seconds
> 13.6 fps, 4x AA turned on in-game
> Not overriding settings via control panel
>
> TEst 4 results:
> 2148 in 166.3 seconds
> 12.9fps, 4X AA turned on in game
> 4XAA, 4XAF turned on in the driver via control panel
>
> All tests were done at 1024x768 resolution. I'm thinking that there's
> something quirky with the driver because when AA was not turned on via the
> game, I saw a lot of diagonal lines even though it was supposed to be 4x
> AA in the driver. This leads me to believe that the driver does not really
> override the AA and AF settings in doom3, and that the high fps I was
> getting in the first test was due to no antialiasing at all. The only
> thing I can think of is that I use the built-in sound on the motherboard.
> I, too, have an Asus A78NX mobo. I would have thought that your faster cpu
> and more ram would have compensated and brought about higher scores than
> my slower cpu and faster vid card. Maybe you use a sound card instead of
> the onboard sound? I was running the game from Gnome 1.4.
>
> The sound isn't as good in linux as it is in windows. In winfish, the
> shotgun sounds like a cannon, but it doesn't pack as much of a punch in
> linux. Maybe this is what other people have been complaining about. Heh.
> The other cool thing I've noticed is that you don't need to cd to play the
> game when you're in linux.

You're actually really lucky, I've just ran most of the same timedemos,
and the highest timedemo has been 9 stinking FPS! I'm at 1024*768 and
chopping settings and getting nowhere. On 640*480 I can get between
15-19fps, still nowhere near my WinXP SP2 hard drive on same machine. I'm
doing a recompile of 2.6.7 and some change kernel, don't really like FC's
2.6.8 kernel that much. Anyhoot, hopefully after a recompile and fresh
video driver install, I might get somewhere.

I have an Audigy I card. Sorry, but personally can't stand Gnome for some
reason. Just a personal dread, more power to ya if it's your thing :) I do
know this is version 1 of the binaries, so hopefully next patch might
bring some relief. Right now, I'm just digging not having to go into
Windows at all (although not playing Painkiller's starting to make me want
to change my mind). I'll let ya know after I recompile and start up new
kernel.

Take it easy all,
Ben Z

TRENDING THREADS