Sign in with
Your question

Losing my mind on this motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
October 3, 2004 1:36:23 AM

I have a motherboard that keeps insisting on updating it's flash BIOS. It is a DFI Lan Party Pro 875B. No matter what BIOS version I update it to, or if I pull the motherboard battery out and let it reset, the goddam thing keeps insisting on running it's auto BIOS updater. Sometimes the system would start normally, then at some point it would start with this crap again on a reboot. Now it just does it continuously. It's driving me NUTS!

Does ANYONE know how to make it STOP?! This is the SECOND motherboard I've placed in this system (I have two identical motherboards), and while it resolved one problem (faulty chip sockets that were causing the system to reboot), I can't get rid of this problem.

Thanks for any help with this.
October 3, 2004 3:41:55 PM

After you flash, boot up and then shut down. Short the pins next to the CMOS battery to make your new BIOS the default. Leave them shorted for a couple of minutes and then move the jumper back. The messages should stop.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot
October 3, 2004 5:05:26 PM

>>After you flash, boot up and then shut down.<<

Unfortunately I don't have that luxury. The system automatically reboots and automatically immediately returns to the autoupdate screen. Again, and again, and again.

What REALLY pisses me off is that it sometimes starts to act normal. This time around, I decided to see if an even earlier BIOS update might fix it. I kept going back in BIOS update time, installing earlier and earlier version of the BIOS hoping I would hit on something. Well, I thought I did. I updated it to a BIOS where that system came up. I went through the whole OS installation process, no problem, the service pack update, no problem, the driver updates, no problem, closed up the entire case and wired everything up so I can finally start installing the programs. I start the machine up again, and I wind right back at the autoupdate screen. All over again.

F*(<ing hell!
Related resources
October 4, 2004 3:18:38 AM

Are you sure you have a good 3v battery?

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot
October 4, 2004 6:59:54 PM

>>Are you sure you have a good 3v battery?<<

Well, I suppose that's a valid point. I've never bought a brand new motherboard that could have an expired battery (let alone two), but I suppose anything's possible. The system has decided to come back for a while, I'm going to leave it alone until it expires again. It's Russian Roulette with this machine. I have noticed there's a Revision B version of this motherboard, and I'm wondering f there's a design fault in it.
!