i815ep bstep can I put 512 meg module into it?

machines_of_hate

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
Hi! I have intel chipset based (as in topic) chaintech 6oia3t mobo, I have 256mb single module there. there is second bank -do I have fill it with another 256 if I want to upgrade or can I exchange and have one 512mb?
I can't find this information now and I don't remember -I guess it's the chipset itself issue, right?

PS what other good tualatin cpu-supporting mobos do you know? Only that chipset goes into account -I know Abit St6, Asus tusl-2c and there was some MSI one...

regards, thanks for any suggestions!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
My best Tualatin supporting boards have all had the BX chipset, supporting Tualatin by using the Upgradeware Slot-T adapter. The adapter only cost $20, love the performance of the BX, chipset supports 1GB of RAM on 4 slots.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

machines_of_hate

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
yeah I was thinking of it before ..the great bx and there was this great powerleap adapter, right? But I was confused about the PCI clock- was there any bx board allowing the PCI to stay on 33mhz with 133mhz fsb??
thanks, but you didn't answer my first question..

btw Mr. Crashman, I'm curious, what are your main system specs now?? :D
regards!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Forget the Powerleap adapter, Tom's review pushed a lot of that junk into the market, but it's still junk IMO. I've owned it.

I've also owned a couple of the Upgradeware adapters. The problems I had with the Powerleap adapter were with it's onboard VRM, the Upgradeware adapter uses the motherboard's VRM. That means the Upgradeware adapter was far cheaper AND more reliable. It also means the Upgradeware adapter only worked with BX boards that supported Slot-1 Coppermines (VRM 8.4) while the less reliable Powerleap adapter worked with early boards as well. Also, the Upgradware adapter included voltage detection adjustment jumpers that allowed you to set your CPU vCore anywhere you wanted (great for overclocking).

Lots of BX boards supported 33MHz PCI at 133MHz FSB. All the later P2B boards (including the P2B-B baby AT and most P2B-F boards), the P3B-F (the best board IMO), the BE6-II and BF6, etc.

I'm running a P4 right now, but that's just because I do these reviews and get free parts. Previously I was using a P3B-F with a Radeon DDR and a Tualatin Celeron 1.1 at 1466MHz/133MHz FSB, 1GB PC133 SDRAM. And various other BX boards which I sold after finding a preference with the P3B-F.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

machines_of_hate

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
I see I was aiming at the same -a perfect PIII system with stable 133mhz. I was also considering it with oc'ed celeron tualatin. But I don't have so much hardware stuff to choose from as you :D
And my friend sold the p3b-f some time ago :/ What about the abit bx133 ?? Which sdram chips do you consider the best? bx does not accept single 512mb, right?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
BX is usually stable to 150MHz bus. AGP dividers are limitted which means you're usually stuck with GeForce2 and Radeon DDR as your best card choices. PCI divider of 1/4 was always available but not supported by some clock generators, most newer boards offered it. And RAM compatability is limitted to 16MB/chip max, so that's 256MB on a 16-chip DIMM. The best standard memory is Crucial's CT32M64S4D7E, a 256MB PC133 Cas2 module.

BX133 was Socket 370, no? Compgeeks has an adapter with the same adjustments as the Upgradware Slot-T, but it's Socket 370 rewired for Tualatin support, and cost only $8.

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
The i815 chipset was limited to a maximum of 512MB of ram so that despite its excellent performance could not compete with intels flagship chipset. so to answer your question, my asus cusl2, and cusl2c will both take 1x512MB double sided module, which may be hard to find.

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
The i815 chipset was limited to a maximum of 512MB of ram so that despite its excellent performance could not compete with intels flagship chipset. so to answer your question, my asus cusl2, and cusl2c will both take 1x512MB double sided module, which may be hard to find, you will probably have to buy a industry standard brand like crucial to get a double sided 512MB module of pc133.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
He could make his system super-sexy with a P3B-F, Slot-T, and 1GB of RAM. If he needs something newer, the i840 chipset board (no, I didn't say 850) would support loads of RDRAM without the performance issue of the little brother 820 chipset. And PC700 should be cheap considering everyone wants PC800.