Sign in with
Your question

Advice for best bang for buck PC for inlaws...

Last response: in Motherboards
October 6, 2004 4:48:08 PM

My inlaws had asked me to build them a system. No one in their household plays games.
I am just wondering if you had and hardware advice.
Every time I build a pc I seem to have blinders on...i mean, I am building from a gamers point of view and I am finding it hard to scale back my hardware suggestions.

I thought I'd look at a cheap bare bones system probably a SOLTEK QBiC Model EQ3401M-Pro from Newegg for $268 and go from there.

Input is always appreciated, THANKS,

Drew
October 6, 2004 5:54:12 PM

Your inlaws...

$20 - Intel D850GB PGA423 850 ATX RDRAM 5PCI 4XAGP CNR ATA100 400MHZ FSB FOR P4

October 6, 2004 6:50:27 PM

heya Drew;

My suggestion is an Abit IS7, p4c 3Ghz, 2x256 Crucial PC3200, Hitachi 7k250 SATA, R9600 Pro, you dont have to sacrifice quality to build an inexpensive computer, plus trust me, people are fickle and since its familly they have a tendancy to have a Looooong memory, especialy since its your wifes parents, you need to build the most reliable high quality computer you can for the least amount of money, and this suggestion is the answer. Now dont get me wrong, i dont claim to know your familly, and im not trying to stereotype either, i just know how my familly is, and the last thing you need is to give your inlaws and excuse to brand you as the low down no good son-inlaw that never should have married their daughter, and when its over money o baby look out. ROFL :smile:
Related resources
a c 435 V Motherboard
October 6, 2004 9:23:50 PM

In this case, I would recommend to them they buy a dell, with at least 512 megs of memory. They offered it free about a week ago (total package deal $519). This week they're offering a celeron D for about $399, and you can add the memory yourself. A 2 year extended warranty is $49, which is a good deal, considering how much dell parts cost. I'm a builder for 10 years, but you don't want to build for relatives, especially if they live in the same town. I built systems for my family members last year, but they all live at least 1500 miles away.
a b V Motherboard
October 7, 2004 3:04:44 AM

Go to Compgeeks or Tigerdirect and get them a discontinued model for around $300.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
October 7, 2004 3:48:00 AM

Hey, hey, hold your horses, $300 is too much for a "discontinued model", $299 would do just fine.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
October 7, 2004 10:10:38 AM

AS others have said they could get a DELL or some other cheaper discontinued full system, but if you really would rather build your own you could sling together a very decent little system based around an XP/Sempron on Socket A.
Something like this, perhaps (all from newegg)?:
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti..." target="_new">Case</A> (el cheapo w/ 350W PSU - $19.95)
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti..." target="_new">Motherboard</A>(EPoX 8RGM3I IGP Nforce2 mobo, $71)
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti..." target="_new">CPU</A>(1.5Ghz Sempron 2200+, $48)
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti..." target="_new">RAM</A>512Mb PC3200 generic, $72)
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti..." target="_new">Optical Drive</A>(Cheap DVD-ROM/CDRW Combo drive, $34)
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti..." target="_new">HDD</A>(Maxtor 40Gb Drive, $47.50)

Total:$292.45

Of course, that's without monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers & software, but I don't know the rest of your budget so I'm sure they could be fitted in happily.

That system would be more than sufficient for Net browsing, word processing, basic office stuff, or even light gaming.

A few answers to unasked questions:
- yes there are cheaper motherboards available, but Epox Make solid boards, and I trust them :smile:
- Why 512Mb? I've assumed you'd want XP on here. I don't like XP with any less really, especially considering parental types seem to quickly acquire millions of memory-sapping background apps :wink: . Windows 98SE would work fine with 256 or even 128Mb, so if you put that on instead you could cut back on the RAM. Plus of course the on-board GFX will use some of that as dedicated graphics memory.
- Why PC3200? $1 more, and enables a faster bus CPU in the future (or possibly overclocking... Not that I'd recommend it for the in-laws but at least the option's there :smile: )
- The DVD-ROM/CDRW combo gives them the option of burning CDs, whilst being able to read both dvds and CDs. If no burning is required obviously a plain DVD-ROM would cost less...

Buying a Dell/whatever would work out cheaper, especially considering all the software they come with, but you might be able to get the software um.. "Very cheaply" *cough*... Depends on your morals :wink:

---
Epox 8RDA+ V1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @200x10 (~2Ghz), 1.4 Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL/1x512Mb Corsair XMS PC4000 2.5-3-3-7
Sapphire 9800Pro (VGA Silencer Rev3) @418/742
October 7, 2004 9:47:47 PM

""*cough*... Depends on your morals""

*cough*, so you say I have no morals? 3 years ago when Softwarez was not as cheap as now, I paid 120 bux for legal Office2k Dev and 135 bux for Win2k Server with 10 Cals. Is that immoral? :wink:

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
a b V Motherboard
October 7, 2004 11:00:34 PM

You can get complete systems with an XP2800+ and all the software, keyboard, mouse, speakers (usually), just add a monitor for $297.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
October 8, 2004 8:26:45 AM

I know, and that could have been cheaper by using a cheaper motherboard, less RAM, etc. Just saying if I was hell-bent on actually <i>building</i> them a computer that's the sort of system I'd put together.

---
Epox 8RDA+ V1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @200x10 (~2Ghz), 1.4 Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL/1x512Mb Corsair XMS PC4000 2.5-3-3-7
Sapphire 9800Pro (VGA Silencer Rev3) @418/742
a b V Motherboard
October 8, 2004 10:13:07 PM

Yes, and worthwhile for most of us, but not for some old people needing only an email terminal.

a b V Motherboard
October 8, 2004 10:14:08 PM

You also have to remember that most OEM boards are of sufficient durability to be compared to our "good" boards, except for the lack of features which aren't important in an email terminal.

!