Anyone know what *228 really does and why it might fail re..

Last response: in Network Providers
August 14, 2004 9:34:03 PM

Anyone know what *228 really does
[I'm looking for a technical explanation, have read VZW's explanation
that in some places says it is to update the phone's software] ?

My guess is that its primary purpose is to load a list of SID's
[cellular System ID's] into the phone to control the display that
tells you when you are in your Home area or Extended Network area or
Roaming.

I have tried repeatedly with a new Nokia while in my Home area, with
full signal strength, and it always errors out after almost a minute
saying it failed. Could this be because the phone number is an ATT
Wireless number ported over to VZW - everything else has worked fine
for weeks ?

TIA, QE in NJ

More about : 228 fail

Anonymous
August 14, 2004 9:34:04 PM

QuienEs <QuienEsREMOVETHISandthis@optonline.net> wrote:

>Anyone know what *228 really does
>[I'm looking for a technical explanation, have read VZW's explanation
>that in some places says it is to update the phone's software] ?
>
>My guess is that its primary purpose is to load a list of SID's
>[cellular System ID's] into the phone to control the display that
>tells you when you are in your Home area or Extended Network area or
>Roaming.
>
>I have tried repeatedly with a new Nokia while in my Home area, with
>full signal strength, and it always errors out after almost a minute
>saying it failed. Could this be because the phone number is an ATT
>Wireless number ported over to VZW - everything else has worked fine
>for weeks ?

No, because I have a number ported from ATTWS, and *228 has always
worked for me.

Probably an issue with your phone.

==
Jack Hamilton
jfh@acm.org

==
In the end, more than they wanted freedom, they wanted comfort and security.
And in the end, they lost it all - freedom, comfort and security.
Edward Gibbons
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 10:08:43 PM

"QuienEs" <QuienEsREMOVETHISandthis@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Anyone know what *228 really does
> [I'm looking for a technical explanation, have read VZW's explanation
> that in some places says it is to update the phone's software] ?

It turns your phone into over the air download mode (apparently circuit
switched) and (1) downloads and replaces the service programming data (your
NAM stuff) (2) downloads and replaces the PRL. In order to touch either one
of those, your phone has to have MSL = 000000. Total data about 6KB.
August 14, 2004 11:36:39 PM

Problem was a nut loose on the phone -> ME :-)

I was making the update call and following the text on the screen
which said the update was in progress,update was in progress,update
was in progress, then that it had failed.

Never thought of listening to the call since the text messages were
reassuring, until the failed msg at the end.

Then I listened, and a female recording, about 10 seconds into the
update, said to hit the "2" key. That was the charm !!

Thanks to the people who posted info.

Happy QE
=========================
On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 17:34:03 GMT, QuienEs
<QuienEsREMOVETHISandthis@optonline.net> wrote:

|Anyone know what *228 really does
|[I'm looking for a technical explanation, have read VZW's explanation
|that in some places says it is to update the phone's software] ?
|
|My guess is that its primary purpose is to load a list of SID's
|[cellular System ID's] into the phone to control the display that
|tells you when you are in your Home area or Extended Network area or
|Roaming.
|
|I have tried repeatedly with a new Nokia while in my Home area, with
|full signal strength, and it always errors out after almost a minute
|saying it failed. Could this be because the phone number is an ATT
|Wireless number ported over to VZW - everything else has worked fine
|for weeks ?
|
|TIA, QE in NJ
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 11:36:40 PM

| Problem was a nut loose on the phone -> ME :-)
|
| I was making the update call and following the text on the screen
| which said the update was in progress,update was in progress,update
| was in progress, then that it had failed.
|
| Never thought of listening to the call since the text messages were
| reassuring, until the failed msg at the end.
|
| Then I listened, and a female recording, about 10 seconds into the
| update, said to hit the "2" key. That was the charm !!

If you dial *22899, updating of both firmware AND PRL proceed
automatically.....no need to select (1) or (2).......

PC
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 6:31:44 AM

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 15:58:03 -0700, "Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org>
wrote:

>"QuienEs" <QuienEsREMOVETHIS@ANDTHISoptonline.net> wrote in message
>| Problem was a nut loose on the phone -> ME :-)
>|
>| I was making the update call and following the text on the screen
>| which said the update was in progress,update was in progress,update
>| was in progress, then that it had failed.
>|
>| Never thought of listening to the call since the text messages were
>| reassuring, until the failed msg at the end.
>|
>| Then I listened, and a female recording, about 10 seconds into the
>| update, said to hit the "2" key. That was the charm !!
>
>If you dial *22899, updating of both firmware AND PRL proceed
>automatically.....no need to select (1) or (2).......
>
>PC

By firmware do you mean the phone's specific software which is listed
on the phone?

I have never heard of this being done over the air. Unless we are not
talking about the same thing, firmware upgrades must be done at a
Verizon store.
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 6:31:45 AM

Yup - specific software....in any event, it works fine.....

PC

"Teddeli" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
| On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 15:58:03 -0700, "Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org>
| wrote:
|

| >"QuienEs" <QuienEsREMOVETHIS@ANDTHISoptonline.net> wrote in message
| >| Problem was a nut loose on the phone -> ME :-)
| >|
| >| I was making the update call and following the text on the screen
| >| which said the update was in progress,update was in progress,update
| >| was in progress, then that it had failed.
| >|
| >| Never thought of listening to the call since the text messages were
| >| reassuring, until the failed msg at the end.
| >|
| >| Then I listened, and a female recording, about 10 seconds into the
| >| update, said to hit the "2" key. That was the charm !!
| >
| >If you dial *22899, updating of both firmware AND PRL proceed
| >automatically.....no need to select (1) or (2).......
| >
| >PC
| >
| By firmware do you mean the phone's specific software which is listed
| on the phone?
|

| I have never heard of this being done over the air. Unless we are not
| talking about the same thing, firmware upgrades must be done at a
| Verizon store.
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 6:58:04 AM

"Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message

> If you dial *22899, updating of both firmware AND PRL proceed
> automatically.....no need to select (1) or (2).......

You must mean service programming. Firmware cannot be downloaded over the
air without expensive equipment.
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 6:58:05 AM

"P T Wang" <news1003@paultwang.com> wrote in message

| "Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
| >
| > If you dial *22899, updating of both firmware AND PRL proceed
| > automatically.....no need to select (1) or (2).......
| >

| You must mean service programming. Firmware cannot be downloaded over the
| air without expensive equipment.

Indeed - specific software, as already corrected, but I suspect everyone got
the idea...nevertheless.....:)

PC
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 5:40:14 PM

Thanks for the fully automatic version PC. Way to go.

Anyone have advice about the "rare" [per the VZW AC Brochure] problem
that can happen if you do the update while not in your home area ?

I forget how it swackled his phone, but a friend from VT was visiting
here in NJ and did *288 and it messed up his phone somehow. He went
to a local VZW store for a fix and they told him he would have to go
back to VT to get it fixed. Sorry, I forget exactly how he was messed
up.

TIA QE
===============================

wrote:

|"QuienEs" <QuienEsREMOVETHIS@ANDTHISoptonline.net> wrote in message
|| Problem was a nut loose on the phone -> ME :-)
|| I was making the update call and following the text on the screen
|| which said the update was in progress,update was in progress,update
|| was in progress, then that it had failed.
|| Never thought of listening to the call since the text messages were
|| reassuring, until the failed msg at the end.
|| Then I listened, and a female recording, about 10 seconds into the
|| update, said to hit the "2" key. That was the charm !!
|
|If you dial *22899, updating of both firmware AND PRL proceed
|automatically.....no need to select (1) or (2).......
|
|PC

Anonymous
August 15, 2004 5:40:15 PM

QuienEs <QuienEsREMOVETHISandthis@optonline.net> wrote:
> Thanks for the fully automatic version PC. Way to go.
>
> Anyone have advice about the "rare" [per the VZW AC Brochure] problem
> that can happen if you do the update while not in your home area ?

You're supposed to be able to do an OTA update now, anywhere where Verizon
has a digital signal - as long as you're on Verizon's network you should be
OK. It's been that way for, what, about a year?

I think the big issue previous to that was that if you were in another
area besides your home area, you might get the wrong settings and/or PRL...

> I forget how it swackled his phone, but a friend from VT was visiting
> here in NJ and did *288 and it messed up his phone somehow. He went
> to a local VZW store for a fix and they told him he would have to go
> back to VT to get it fixed. Sorry, I forget exactly how he was messed
> up.

How long ago?

August 15, 2004 5:49:00 PM

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 02:58:04 GMT, "P T Wang" <news1003@paultwang.com>
wrote:

>"Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
>>
>> If you dial *22899, updating of both firmware AND PRL proceed
>> automatically.....no need to select (1) or (2).......
>>

>You must mean service programming. Firmware cannot be downloaded over the
>air without expensive equipment.

Depends on the phone. This feature is not currently supported.
August 15, 2004 5:49:58 PM

wrote:

>"QuienEs" <QuienEsREMOVETHIS@ANDTHISoptonline.net> wrote in message
>| Problem was a nut loose on the phone -> ME :-)
>|
>| I was making the update call and following the text on the screen
>| which said the update was in progress,update was in progress,update
>| was in progress, then that it had failed.
>|
>| Never thought of listening to the call since the text messages were
>| reassuring, until the failed msg at the end.
>|
>| Then I listened, and a female recording, about 10 seconds into the
>| update, said to hit the "2" key. That was the charm !!
>
>If you dial *22899, updating of both firmware AND PRL proceed
>automatically.....no need to select (1) or (2).......

Won't work everywhere and with all phones. This is a legacy artifact.
Don't count on it continuing to work.
August 15, 2004 5:53:19 PM

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 11:59:52 -0500, Steven J Sobol
<sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

>QuienEs <QuienEsREMOVETHISandthis@optonline.net> wrote:
>> Thanks for the fully automatic version PC. Way to go.
>>
>> Anyone have advice about the "rare" [per the VZW AC Brochure] problem
>> that can happen if you do the update while not in your home area ?
>
>You're supposed to be able to do an OTA update now, anywhere where Verizon
>has a digital signal - as long as you're on Verizon's network you should be
>OK. It's been that way for, what, about a year?
>
>I think the big issue previous to that was that if you were in another
>area besides your home area, you might get the wrong settings and/or PRL...

Should work everywhere... but I'd do it during off-hours when out of
home area due to network delay potentialities.

PRLs are the same everywhere. Service data will vary with service
area but the correct area should be loaded based on getting the proper
MDN and ESN.
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 6:16:54 PM

bill@microsoft.com wrote:

> PRLs are the same everywhere. Service data will vary with service
> area but the correct area should be loaded based on getting the proper
> MDN and ESN.

PRLs weren't always the same everywhere, before everything was integrated.

August 15, 2004 7:49:20 PM

The OTA system queries the billing system to find out what the
customer's rate plan is. If it gets that info, it knows which PRL to
send. If not, it fails. Sometimes, when out of market, the controlling
switch cannot communicate to the home switch to get this info. It will
rarely load the wrong PRL, or if it does should load the "default" PRL
which will work "good enough" instead of nothing at all.

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 13:40:14 GMT, QuienEs
<QuienEsREMOVETHISandthis@optonline.net> wrote:

>Thanks for the fully automatic version PC. Way to go.
>
>Anyone have advice about the "rare" [per the VZW AC Brochure] problem
>that can happen if you do the update while not in your home area ?
>
>I forget how it swackled his phone, but a friend from VT was visiting
>here in NJ and did *288 and it messed up his phone somehow. He went
>to a local VZW store for a fix and they told him he would have to go
>back to VT to get it fixed. Sorry, I forget exactly how he was messed
>up.
>
>TIA QE
>===============================
>
>On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 15:58:03 -0700, "Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org>
>wrote:
>

>|"QuienEs" <QuienEsREMOVETHIS@ANDTHISoptonline.net> wrote in message
>|| Problem was a nut loose on the phone -> ME :-)
>|| I was making the update call and following the text on the screen
>|| which said the update was in progress,update was in progress,update
>|| was in progress, then that it had failed.
>|| Never thought of listening to the call since the text messages were
>|| reassuring, until the failed msg at the end.
>|| Then I listened, and a female recording, about 10 seconds into the
>|| update, said to hit the "2" key. That was the charm !!
>|
>|If you dial *22899, updating of both firmware AND PRL proceed
>|automatically.....no need to select (1) or (2).......
>|
>|PC

Anonymous
August 15, 2004 11:04:03 PM

Does *28899 work the same as *28890?
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 4:09:41 AM

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 11:59:52 -0500, Steven J Sobol
<sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:
<SNIP>
|You're supposed to be able to do an OTA update now, anywhere where
Verizon
|has a digital signal - as long as you're on Verizon's network you
should be
|OK. It's been that way for, what, about a year?
|> I forget how it swackled his phone, but a friend from VT was
visiting
|> here in NJ and did *288 and it messed up his phone somehow. <SNIP>
|
|How long ago?

==============
Yup, it was about a year ago. FYI, VZW brochure "AC PROMO
0504" [ May 2004 ? ] says "in some rare instances this may alter your
Calling Plan Home Airtime Rate and Coverage Area". How the phone's
programming, no matter how screwed up, could alter any rate is beyond
me - I am most familiar with ATT Wireless, where the rate and plan in
effect when the bill is created operates on the call detail data to
produce the bill. BTW, and ATT reps will tell you this, if you
change your plan up to the end of your billing cycle the new plan
applies bach thru the beginning of that billing month - some folks
change to a National Plan for 1 month when they are traveling, and
that's OK with ATT, and you can then change back.

QE
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 4:09:42 AM

QuienEs <QuienEsREMOVETHISandthis@optonline.net> wrote:
> ==============
> Yup, it was about a year ago. FYI, VZW brochure "AC PROMO
> 0504" [ May 2004 ? ] says "in some rare instances this may alter your
> Calling Plan Home Airtime Rate and Coverage Area". How the phone's
> programming, no matter how screwed up, could alter any rate is beyond
> me

Well, the PRL governs whether your phone displays "Roaming", "Extended Network"
or "Verizon Wireless" - but the CDMA phones I've used all have a setting for
the home area System ID (SID). This must be set to the SID of your home-area
network. It's possible that if your phone is reprogrammed to use a different
SID as the home SID, that that could screw up billing, but I don't know how
Verizon's billing system works, and don't know if changing the SID would
cause such a problem (not for sure, anyhow).

August 16, 2004 5:02:20 AM

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:04:03 GMT, "Steve B" <netuser49@hotmail.com>
wrote:

|Does *28899 work the same as *28890?

=====================
Here's what I found with Google - cannot vouch for its accuracy. QE
================
From: David L (davidlind@my-deja.com)
Subject: Re: What is *28899?
Original Format
Newsgroups: alt.cellular.verizon
Date: 2004-03-19 22:51:08 PST

"N9WOS" <n9wos@nobug.worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > > I know what *228 is, what is @22899?
> > It does *228 1 and *228 2 in one shot with no prompts. It may be
market
> > specific.
>
> As for as I know, *228 is for when you already
> have the phone on the network you are wanting to use.
>
> If it is not, then you can force it to a specific network for
> programming by using
> (for most phones)
> *22800 for cellular A
> *22801 for cellular B
> *22802 for PCS a
> *22803 for PCS b
> *22804 for PCS c
> *22805 for PCS d
> *22806 for PCS e
> *22807 for PCS f
> (I think.......)
>
> Some may truncate it to
> *2280 for cellular A
> *2281 for cellular B
> (On and on)

Using *22802, my phone says "activation" and then connects me with
Sprint CS. Sure, it forces to that network but doesn't seem to allow
any calls to be made.
Outgoing calls revert to Verizon digital network.
Maybe if I tried in an area, where there was no Verizon signal, it
would stay on Sprint and allow for calls?

I can't find any useful purpose for these codes...other than quickly
checking what networks may be out there, or a shortcut, to make a
quick signal level test using debug mode?

---
David
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 5:02:21 AM

QuienEs <QuienEsREMOVETHISandthis@optonline.net> wrote:

> |Does *28899 work the same as *28890?
> =====================
> Here's what I found with Google - cannot vouch for its accuracy. QE
> ================
> From: David L (davidlind@my-deja.com)
> Subject: Re: What is *28899?
> Original Format
> Newsgroups: alt.cellular.verizon
> Date: 2004-03-19 22:51:08 PST
>
>> > It does *228 1 and *228 2 in one shot with no prompts. It may be
> market
>> > specific.
>>
>> As for as I know, *228 is for when you already
>> have the phone on the network you are wanting to use.
>>
>> If it is not, then you can force it to a specific network for
>> programming by using
>> (for most phones)
>> *22800 for cellular A
>> *22801 for cellular B
>> *22802 for PCS a
>> *22803 for PCS b
>> *22804 for PCS c
>> *22805 for PCS d
>> *22806 for PCS e
>> *22807 for PCS f
>> (I think.......)

This requires you to know which code to use, and it will definitely differ
by market.

I'd suggest staying away from anything other than *228, 1 or *228, 2 to be
safe.

August 16, 2004 10:18:10 AM

wrote:

>If you dial *22899, updating of both firmware AND PRL proceed
>automatically.....no need to select (1) or (2).......

I was told to do *22890. Any idea on the difference?
August 16, 2004 11:14:07 AM

"Evan Platt" <evan@TheObvious.espphotography.com> wrote in message
| On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 15:58:03 -0700, "Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org>
| wrote:
|
| >If you dial *22899, updating of both firmware AND PRL proceed
| >automatically.....no need to select (1) or (2).......
|
| I was told to do *22890. Any idea on the difference?

I'm sure you'll get many answers.....

I don't know what *22890 is/does - I know that *22899 works and that's why I
reported the information. Dialing *22899 provides automatic update of both
phone specific software and PRLs....

PC
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 1:39:58 PM

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 07:14:07 -0700, "Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org>
wrote:

I remain confused. I've got a 5220 card P8 hardware version which I
updated to PRL 50192 via d/l from the audiovox site. I then ran the
activation wizard (which verz suggests I run every few weeks) and
everything seems to be working fine (using 1xRTT). I am in the So.
Calif. Long Beach thru Santa Barbara areas.

So, what does 22890 or any of this other stuff have to do with
updating the PRL on the 5220 card? This thread began specifically as
a discussion of the 5220 cards. If this has migrated to only being
relevant about *phone* updates, then someone oughta make that clear.

Thanks, Confused
>I don't know what *22890 is/does - I know that *22899 works and that's why I
>reported the information. Dialing *22899 provides automatic update of both
>phone specific software and PRLs....
>
>PC

Anonymous
August 16, 2004 2:28:22 PM

d b wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 07:14:07 -0700, "Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org>
> wrote:
>
> I remain confused. I've got a 5220 card P8 hardware version which I
> updated to PRL 50192 via d/l from the audiovox site. I then ran the
> activation wizard (which verz suggests I run every few weeks) and
> everything seems to be working fine (using 1xRTT). I am in the So.
> Calif. Long Beach thru Santa Barbara areas.
>
> So, what does 22890 or any of this other stuff have to do with
> updating the PRL on the 5220 card? This thread began specifically as
> a discussion of the 5220 cards. If this has migrated to only being
> relevant about *phone* updates, then someone oughta make that clear.
>
> Thanks, Confused
>> I don't know what *22890 is/does - I know that *22899 works and
>> that's why I reported the information. Dialing *22899 provides
>> automatic update of both phone specific software and PRLs....
>>
>> PC

There is no difference. The card *is* a phone. It just doesn't have
a user interface (mic, speaker, keypad...).

-Quick
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 2:29:52 PM

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:28:22 -0700, "Quick"
<quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>> Thanks, Confused
>>> I don't know what *22890 is/does - I know that *22899 works and
>>> that's why I reported the information. Dialing *22899 provides
>>> automatic update of both phone specific software and PRLs....
>>>
>>> PC
>
>There is no difference. The card *is* a phone. It just doesn't have
>a user interface (mic, speaker, keypad...).
>
>-Quick

Apparently there is a difference because the card doesn't seem to
require dialing *22890 or anything of the sort.
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 3:16:59 PM

The OP said:

> I remain confused. I've got a 5220 card P8 hardware version which I
> updated to PRL 50192 via d/l from the audiovox site. I then ran the
> activation wizard (which verz suggests I run every few weeks) and
> everything seems to be working fine (using 1xRTT). I am in the So.
> Calif. Long Beach thru Santa Barbara areas.

Uses PRL, requires updating... My phone worked out of the box
and didn't require dialing anything either. Admittedly you are probably
not going to get 1xRTT when on extended or roaming.

-Quick
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 2:18:28 AM

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:29:52 -0700, d b <dberger805@softhome.net>
wrote:

>Apparently there is a difference because the card doesn't seem to
>require dialing *22890 or anything of the sort.

No phone (or card) REQUIRES dialing *22890. You could never dial
*22890 and still use your phone - to a point.

Dialing *22890 updates your phones PRL, Preferred Roaming List. What
this does is make sure your phone knows where the newest towers are.

When traveling, can make the difference between "NO SIGNAL" and a
signal.

Your card is a phone. It just doesn't have a keypad, mike, speaker,
etc.
August 21, 2004 4:42:21 AM

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:18:28 -0700, Evan Platt
<evan@TheObvious.espphotography.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:29:52 -0700, d b <dberger805@softhome.net>
>wrote:
>Dialing *22890 (sic) updates your phones PRL, Preferred Roaming List. What
>this does is make sure your phone knows where the newest towers are.

It has nothing to do with the location of towers.

The PRL tells the phone which frequencies to use when it discovers it
is 'out of it's home area'... It sees where it is and does a table
lookup to find the "preferred" frequency to use in that area. The
terminology is a bit archaic in this age of national companies. But
the function is still important.

Without a PRL the fone uses a certain frequency. Outside of your
'home' area this frequency may not be held by a company with which
your company has a roaming agreement. Then you would have to provide
credit card info over the air in order to make a call.

*228 / Option 2 updates the PRL. Do this before you take trips and
several times a year and whenever requested to do so.

*228 / Option 1 updates the phone's configuration.

After activation, there is almost never any reason to update the
phone's configuration (MIN, Home SID, et.al.) I believe Option 1 does
not update fone firmware. It does load the current PRL... but the
other stuff adds time to the D/L so option 2 is best for PRL updates.
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 7:06:57 AM

bill@microsoft.com wrote:
> It has nothing to do with the location of towers.

It has everything to do with towers and nothing to do with frequencies -
the PRL tells the phones which networks to use, based on the carrier's
decision of which roaming partners they are going to allow their customers
to roam on.

> Without a PRL the fone uses a certain frequency

A US cellular phone uses 800-850 MHz, 1900 MHz or both. That's it. There is
no selection of frequencies, only a decision by the carrier to allow roaming
on certain networks of other carriers, and that is implemented by creating
or updating a phone's PRL.

August 31, 2004 11:34:30 AM

bill@microsoft.com wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:18:28 -0700, Evan Platt
>
> *228 / Option 2 updates the PRL. Do this before you take trips

Ok, I'm a bit confused (I'm a new cell user). Why do this *before* a trip?

Wouldn't it make more sense to do this at my destination,ie when
I have arrived so that it uses "local" information of the place
I am visiting?
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 4:10:20 PM

"Esmail Bonakdarian" <"ebonak at hotmail dot com"> wrote in message
> bill@microsoft.com wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:18:28 -0700, Evan Platt
>>
>> *228 / Option 2 updates the PRL. Do this before you take trips
>
> Ok, I'm a bit confused (I'm a new cell user). Why do this *before* a trip?

Because you might be in an "extended network" area (or even roaming), in
which case you probably won't be able to update your PRL.

> Wouldn't it make more sense to do this at my destination,ie when
> I have arrived so that it uses "local" information of the place
> I am visiting?

PRLs, by definition, have nothing to do with what is "local." Whatever PRL
is in your phone gets applied regardless of where you are, and the PRL won't
change just because you've moved to a different area.
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 4:10:21 PM

Isaiah Beard wrote:
> "Esmail Bonakdarian" <"ebonak at hotmail dot com"> wrote in message
>> bill@microsoft.com wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:18:28 -0700, Evan Platt
>>>
>>> *228 / Option 2 updates the PRL. Do this before you take trips
>>
>> Ok, I'm a bit confused (I'm a new cell user). Why do this *before* a
>> trip?
>
> Because you might be in an "extended network" area (or even roaming),
> in which case you probably won't be able to update your PRL.
>
>> Wouldn't it make more sense to do this at my destination,ie when
>> I have arrived so that it uses "local" information of the place
>> I am visiting?
>
> PRLs, by definition, have nothing to do with what is "local."
> Whatever PRL is in your phone gets applied regardless of where you
> are, and the PRL won't change just because you've moved to a
> different area.

I believe this is true now... it wasn't that way a few years ago.
Now I believe all the PRLs are national (with the exception of
regional plans naturally). In any case you always want to update
your PRL when in your local area. PRL is Preferred Roaming
List. What is roaming for you may not be for someone else.

-Quick
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 8:08:58 PM

Thanks Isaiah, that helps.