p5ad2 problems

Zhire

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2003
I don't know the real problem here so I will start by listing my trials and errors. I recently bought a p5ad2 with 2 gigs corsair ddr2 ram and a 3.4 ghz processor. The board does not come with a on board video so I did the initial start up with a 650 w powersupply which I don't remember the name of at this time. The board started up with no problems that I could detect by bios start up alarms. I added my HD a WD Raptor 74 GB SATA I plugged it in and restarted again to see for errors no errors reported just the no os beeps after the post. Next I finally got in my new Asus 800 pro Video card. Two problems I have here now.

1. The board is to close to the case wall for the graphics card to fit and I can't seem to find holes to adjust them in the case. I assume I can redrill the holes for the posts and seat the card then, but I am unsure if the other cards will seat correctly.

2. I attached the power cable to the video card w/o making a connection to the board and the card did not start. I then tried unseating the motherboard from the posts and sliding it back a bit to see if unseated I could seat the video card with the power attached to it and start the card. This did not work. Next I swapped to my other computer a an old 1.4 ghz p4 rambus board and seated the card and power. This time the pcix card started but gave a host of error messages via my AGP slot.

Any ideas who to make these problems work ? Is it possible that my full tower case does not meet the specs for the motherboard? God would seem almost unlikely but maybe?

Thanks for any help ahead of time

Zhire

I'd suspect a problem with the case, not the board. I've used no name cheap cases with overated power supplies before, and yes, sometimes the components don't fit properly. Correct me if I'm wrong, though. I would also double check the backplate (i/o shield) for proper seating against the back wall, and reinstall if necessary.

Zhire

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2003
I tried reseating the motherboard and verifing the form factor of the motherboard but I Am still about 1/4 off and maybe a 1/4 to the right. The case name is thermaltake X and has a very well built case so far with very user friendly motherboard posts. The power supply is a cheap power supply my extremo its rated at 650w .. do you think this could be problematic in the future, I have read on various threads here people complaining about them.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, you WHAT!

That slot that looks kind of like an AGP slot, isn't. If you put an AGP card in there somehow, god help you!

I doubt after reading your post that anything is misalligned. Try putting a PCI standard cards in one of the PCI standard slots to check it, I bet you'll find it's within 1mm.

Then consider NOT putting an AGP card into a PCI-Express X16 slot.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>