Sign in with
Your question

Win2k Newbie needs win7 upgrade advice help

Last response: in Windows 7
October 5, 2009 4:46:45 PM

I am sorry I could not find answers to my questions in the search function...

I have been using Win2k for years, and I am happy with it. But I tried Windows 7 on a friends computer and I really liked it a lot and would like to upgrade, but I have a lot of questions MS did not answer when I first called, and now they will not take my questions - only orders.

1] I called MS who said I could upgrade from Win2k Pro to Vista and use a coupon to get to Win7 that way, but only if I bought it from the MS Store, is that true?

2] Win2k works on both of my computers with just 1 disc. If I buy a Vista upgrade and upgrade to Win7 will it still work on both PCs or will I have to buy a second non-upgrade copy?

3] Some places seem to give a coupon with the order, but someone mentioned in passing once that you could apply for the coupon if your OS didn't come with it - is that true? This is what I was thinking: http://www.marketwarehouse.com/66r-02261.html - it appears to be a good price but I called and they don't know anything about Win7 coupons with it. If the 2nd pc needs a separate OS now, can I order that and still upgrade it to Windows 7?

4] My Win2k disc is Windows 2000 Professional, which Vista upgrade will it upgrade to (Home Premium etc)? Can it upgrade to 64bit?

5] I wouldn't mind doing a brand new install since I don't know how to do it any other way, but do I have to install Win2k, then WinVista, then Win7? That would just take forever.

Thank you so much
a b $ Windows 7
October 5, 2009 5:18:52 PM

Quote:
1] I called MS who said I could upgrade from Win2k Pro to Vista and use a coupon to get to Win7 that way, but only if I bought it from the MS Store, is that true?

I'm sure it's true insofar as you can upgrade form 2K to Vista, and then from Vista to 7... But totally not necessary, since you (stated below) you would be doing a clean install anyhow. Just wait a couple more weeks and go straight to 7.

Quote:
2] Win2k works on both of my computers with just 1 disc. If I buy a Vista upgrade and upgrade to Win7 will it still work on both PCs or will I have to buy a second non-upgrade copy?

You're supposed to have a copy for each computer. Microsoft will be selling a "Family Pack" of 3 licences.

Quote:
3] Some places seem to give a coupon with the order, but someone mentioned in passing once that you could apply for the coupon if your OS didn't come with it - is that true? This is what I was thinking: http://www.marketwarehouse.com/66r-02261.html - it appears to be a good price but I called and they don't know anything about Win7 coupons with it. If the 2nd pc needs a separate OS now, can I order that and still upgrade it to Windows 7?

Wait a couple weeks, and the issue will solve itself.

Quote:
4] My Win2k disc is Windows 2000 Professional, which Vista upgrade will it upgrade to (Home Premium etc)? Can it upgrade to 64bit?

Either way, you'll need to do a clean install (or what Microsoft call a "custom' install). If you want 64 bit, then simply do a clean install with that.

Quote:
5] I wouldn't mind doing a brand new install since I don't know how to do it any other way, but do I have to install Win2k, then WinVista, then Win7? That would just take forever.

Nope - You can do a clean install straight from the Win 7 media, and add your Win 2K key And please, please use the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor tool to scan your computer and make sure it's compatible before you spend any money.

Please refer to the following Windows 7 Upgrade Matrix for what can be upgraded to what.
m
l
October 5, 2009 6:03:33 PM

Wont it be more expensive in a few weeks since an upgrade works 2 OS's back, so from Vista to 2k, and I can buy an oem upgrade of vista and get the coupon, where I have to buy a full Win7?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 5, 2009 7:08:32 PM

Understand that when you say "Upgrade" to Microsoft, they presume you mean what they call an "in Place Upgrade", which is when you run the new DVD from within the old OS and use it to preserve your apps, data, and settings. Unfortunately, you can't "Upgrade" directly - You must (1) use an upgrade edition to do a clean install, during which you will be asked to provide your Win 2K licence key. or (2) Do an in-place upgrade to Vista, then do another one to Win 7

Basically: You are entitled for Licencing Purposes to go two OS versions back. But you can NOT upgrade directly from Win 2K to Win 7 - You must either perform the upgrade twice (2K to Vista and then again to 7), or do a clean install (superior, since there is no chance to bring forward incompatible code)

As far as 'what to buy' - I don't see much point in buying an OEM upgrade to Vista, having to use an upgrade coupon to get 7, only to have to do *another* install. I'd just as soon wait a couple weeks, buy an OEM copy of Win 7, install once and be done with it.

And by way of reminder: Please Please run the Upgrade Advisor tool - If you have a system old enough to be running Win 2K, I'd be quite surprised if your hardware will run Win 7.
m
l
October 6, 2009 1:49:00 AM

Quote:
2] Win2k works on both of my computers with just 1 disc. If I buy a Vista upgrade
and upgrade to Win7 will it still work on both PCs or will I have to buy a second non-upgrade copy?

Hi, :hello: 

Someone correct me please IF I am wrong...when you buy a Windows OS it is for 1 [one] computer to use Only.

You can't go to MS for a Windows Update with 2 computers sharing the same OS with the same OS Key.

I now have 2 computers both with the same WinXP Pro on them, I would like to save a few bucks & Upgrade my new build & still use WinXP on my old computer but that means staying away from MS web sites with my old comp which I can live with it serves as a second computer...Howerver If I want to sell or give it to someone then the Problem is passed on to the new owner. I am thinking of a free OS like Ubuntu what do you think ?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 6, 2009 2:02:16 AM

Buy and OEM copy of Win7 and forget about the upgrade stuff. Newegg prices but ratio should be same wherever.

Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade from Vista $219.99
Windows 7 Ultimate OEM for System Builders $174.99

Windows 7 Pro Upgrade from Vista $199.99
Windows 7 Pro OEM for System Builders $134.99
Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade from Vista $119.99
Windows 7 Home Premium OEM for System Builders $99.99

Old rule was that you need to buy a piece of hardware in order to qualify for OEM but fact is I haven't found a vendor ask in years ....

If the rule should resurface, this would always qualify in the past

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
October 6, 2009 5:28:16 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
Buy and OEM copy of Win7 and forget about the upgrade stuff. Newegg prices but ratio should be same wherever.

Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade from Vista $219.99
Windows 7 Ultimate OEM for System Builders $174.99

Windows 7 Pro Upgrade from Vista $199.99
Windows 7 Pro OEM for System Builders $134.99
Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade from Vista $119.99
Windows 7 Home Premium OEM for System Builders $99.99

Old rule was that you need to buy a piece of hardware in order to qualify for OEM but fact is I haven't found a vendor ask in years ....

If the rule should resurface, this would always qualify in the past

Hi, :hello: 

Thanks for the heads up, I purchased my WinXP Pro 32bit OEM @ newegg...I fixed your link :p 

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
Pre-Order special, offer ends 10/20...$99.00 & Free shipping :love: 

m
l
October 6, 2009 8:07:29 AM

So, apparently, as a student (despite my years) at a university I am eligible to buy it Win7 Professional for $30.

www.win741.com

I did this... and the win741 site says nothing about it being an upgrade. Yet, the confirmation says:

Product SKU: FQC-02813
Product Name: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade (Pre-Ordered)
Anticipated Released Date: October 22, 2009
Qty Ordered: 1
Amount: $29.99

My computer is an e8400 with 4gb ram... I know it is fine with Windows 7 - I just liked Windows 2k a lot. I didn't like XP or Vista much, so I stayed with Windows 2k. Particularly as it is cheap since the Win2k license is for 2 processors/pcs (Wasn't so draconian 10 years ago!).

Since this is an upgrade, will I be able to actually activate Win7 on a 'custom install' even though the only key I have is from Win2k?

I am worried because the MS store used to say this in September:

But now it doesn't, it says 2k won't and requires a full purchase. Isn't that a bait and switch to change it midstream like that?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 6, 2009 1:22:57 PM

YES, you can do a full install with your 'Upgrade' DVD - You will be prompted to input your Win 2K key.
m
l
!