Strange MB and Graphics Card issue

Freyland

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2004
First time poster. Please help me with this frustrating problem!

My wife has an ASUS A7V600-X MB. We are trying to install a Gainward FX Geoforce FX 5700 Ultra after her ATI card *seemed* to become defunct (it's not, it actually works on mine). However, either at the start of boot, or very shortly afterward the screen becomes corrupted with columns of color or discombobulated pixels. We thought the card was 'bad' so we sent it back, received the same in return. Same problem. I installed it on my machine, and it works fine. I installed my Geoforce FX 5900 XT on her machine, and same problem. The truly odd part is an old Evil Kyro II card, which is not even supported by Win XP, *will* run on her machine.

I have downloaded the latest 4-in-1 MB driver pack and even flashed the bios of the MB with the latest bios. Neither has helped. What am I missing?

Thank you

Jonathan

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I wouldn't surprise me if it were simply a chipset issue, you ARE dealing with VIA, the most notorious company in the industry.

Chances are there's a BIOS update that is supposed to address the issue. Then again, maybe not. Few care. It's like asking Lada questions in a sports car club.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>