E-Tech "Wireless" Router

Dear newsgroup,

I have the Wireless 11Mbps ADSL Modem Router with plug-in PCMCIA card.
This router is connected via a network cable to my desktop PC. At the
same time I want to use the router to wireless connect to a notebook.
And there were times when both could be done without problems.

Now, there are a couple of strange things happening: first, I can use
the router wirelessly with my notebook, but only if my desktop PC -the
one to which the router is connected via the network cable- is turned
off. If I turn on my deskop PC the wireless router will no longer work
"wirelessly", but only with the plugged-in network cable. Second, if I
unplug the wireless router from the desktop PC and try to access the
router wirelessly (my desktop PC has a build-in wireless card) it will
not work, my desktop PC will not even detect the wireles router - but it
does detect other wireless LANs (which indicates that the wireless card
is not broken).

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this 'mystery'? The router runs on
the latest firmware (updated yesterday) and on both PCs I am running
Windows XP with the very latest service packs. Both PC are also fairly
new (1 and 0.5 years old, respectively), as is the wireless router. As
said before, there were times when everything was working fine, but as I
use both not too frequently together I have no clue at all what might
have causes the puzzle. I am suspecting that this might be related to me
installing SP2 for Windows XP, but I am not sure.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks, Philipp

PS: Both PCs are virus-free. The exact description of the router is
E-Tech Wireless 11Mbps ADSL Modem Router with plug-in PCMCIA card
(www.e-tech.nu).

Probably SP2,,, I have heard some nightmares.........do a search on
microsoft, find out how to back it off, or
you can use the XP system restore to go back to a date before you installed
it and see if it works ok.