Sign in with
Your question

64 bit edit com

Last response: in Windows 7
September 9, 2010 9:14:41 AM

Hello,
is there any 64 bit version of edit.com ?

More about : bit edit

a b $ Windows 7
September 9, 2010 9:24:58 AM

I believe I'm right in saying that all .com files are 16-bit. Thus there will be no 64-bit version. But there are a host of editors that provide equal or better functionality than this very ancient program.
m
l
September 9, 2010 10:23:59 AM

Yeah...thats right. I was wrong in asking 64 bit version of edit.com. Could u please tell me about some editors which can be used in DOS in an 64 bit windows 7 system ?
thnx
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
September 9, 2010 10:36:35 AM

It might help if you explain what you are trying to accomplish.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 9, 2010 10:49:43 AM

TBH there seem to be very few, if any, command-line editors for 64-bit Windows. The only time that I can think you would need one is if you were telnetting into a 64-bit system and needed to edit a file on it. Is this your situation? Perhaps you have some other reason for requiring a command-line editor?

Edit: If you really must have a command-line only editor, try Gnu Emacs. This can be run in text-only mode on Windows 7 64-bit. It's a very fine editor, but needs a bit of learning.
m
l
September 9, 2010 7:27:52 PM

IDM UltraEdit might work. I have not used it but it has a good reputation. It has a free trial.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 9, 2010 7:31:18 PM

I may be missing something, but UltraEdit seems to be a GUI program rather than a command-line one.
m
l
September 16, 2010 3:43:40 AM

Thanks ijack....that helped
m
l
February 23, 2011 2:07:09 PM

I need something that works like edit.com. We receive text files that we convert to databases and sometime there are non-standard characters in them that breaks our conversion. In win xp, if we opened the text file in edit.com, saved and tried to import the non-standard characters were gone and the files convert without a hitch. NotePad, WordPad and MS Word don't work for us. What else might work?
m
l
March 25, 2011 3:48:27 PM

firwin said:
I need something that works like edit.com. We receive text files that we convert to databases and sometime there are non-standard characters in them that breaks our conversion. In win xp, if we opened the text file in edit.com, saved and tried to import the non-standard characters were gone and the files convert without a hitch. NotePad, WordPad and MS Word don't work for us. What else might work?

I've totally been needing something like this for awhile now too. Been running edit in a 32-bit VM :( 
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
March 25, 2011 8:58:18 PM

Yeah, Notepad is a bit finnicky with end-of-line sequences and it can sometimes misinterpret whether a file is encoded in Unicode or not.

Notepad++ is an alternative that's worked well for me: http://notepad-plus-plus.org/
m
l
December 23, 2011 11:32:16 AM

anindya384 said:
Hello,
is there any 64 bit version of edit.com ?

For anyone else interested in this thread, there is a windows vi editor
which can deal with both 32- and 64-bit beasties, check out...
see http://code.google.com/p/vim-win3264/wiki/Win64Binaries
(hopefully helpful to other 'old-schoolers' dealing with win7 64-bit)
markp
m
l
March 15, 2012 1:46:32 PM

firwin said:

Quick workaround: Do what you need to do in Notepad. Then go to the command prompt, type copy con textfile.txt, copy and paste from Notepad, then press Ctrl-Z and Enter to finish. Non-standard characters will still work.
m
l
!