Just got Doom3 - having trouble (spoilers)

Hi everyone.

Like most of you, I am an old-time D1/D2 player, and I've been looking
forward to this one. So far, I've been dissapointed, but that may be mostly
because the documentation is worse than useless, and the interface is not as
intuitive as the older games (not to mention that I'm older and slower of
mind that I used to be). All that being said, here are my problems:

1. I listened to the audio messages on the PDAs I've picked up, and one
gives the combination to the locker downstairs. However, when I enter the
combination, it tells me it is incorrect. The number I used was 396
2. There does not seem to be a map feature in the PDA the way there was in
D1/D2. Am I missing it, or does it not exist?
3. I can't seem to find an oxygen mask, so when I walk outside (1st
mission), I run out of air and am forced to run back inside.

So far, I've made almost no progress and I'm pretty irritated, so much that
I walked around the station and shot everyone in the head (I saved first of
course). I just feel like the developers were too in love with graphics,
and make the game WAY too laborious in the beginning. I really don't want a
big drawn out process to play Doom. I want ACTION. The predecessors
DEFINED action 1st person gaming. I like stories too, but when I sit down
to play Doom, I have something else in mind.

Anyway, enough ranting. If anyone can help with teh questions I'd
appreciated.

Joe

PS - I already know that I'm old and lame, so you won't be telling me
anything I don't already know.

"Joseph Stevenson" <ikvsabre@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi everyone.
>
> Like most of you, I am an old-time D1/D2 player, and I've been looking
> forward to this one. So far, I've been dissapointed, but that may be
> mostly
> because the documentation is worse than useless, and the interface is
> not as
> intuitive as the older games (not to mention that I'm older and slower
> of
> mind that I used to be). All that being said, here are my problems:
>
> 1. I listened to the audio messages on the PDAs I've picked up, and
> one
> gives the combination to the locker downstairs. However, when I enter
> the
> combination, it tells me it is incorrect. The number I used was 396
> 2. There does not seem to be a map feature in the PDA the way there
> was in
> D1/D2. Am I missing it, or does it not exist?
> 3. I can't seem to find an oxygen mask, so when I walk outside (1st
> mission), I run out of air and am forced to run back inside.

They're bottles...like scuba tanks. They're some laying around outside
:) Walk over em and you pick em up, they add time to your oxy indicator
that shows when you're outside.

> So far, I've made almost no progress and I'm pretty irritated, so much
> that
> I walked around the station and shot everyone in the head (I saved
> first of
> course). I just feel like the developers were too in love with
> graphics,
> and make the game WAY too laborious in the beginning. I really don't
> want a
> big drawn out process to play Doom. I want ACTION. The predecessors
> DEFINED action 1st person gaming. I like stories too, but when I sit
> down
> to play Doom, I have something else in mind.

try this:
http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Doom3/cheats.htm
cabinet and door codes.

> Anyway, enough ranting. If anyone can help with teh questions I'd
> appreciated.
>
> Joe
>
> PS - I already know that I'm old and lame, so you won't be telling me
> anything I don't already know.

I played and enjoyed very much Wolfenstein 3D, DN3d, Doom, Doom2, Quake
1,2,3 and now I'm into Doom3. I've just now entered the Delta Labs.
I'm playing this one slow, looking around at everything, trying
everything....and shooting all kinds of things.
It's fun, just not in the same way Doom/Doom2 were.
McG.

"Joseph Stevenson" <ikvsabre@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi everyone.
>
> Like most of you, I am an old-time D1/D2 player, and I've been looking
> forward to this one. So far, I've been dissapointed, but that may be
mostly
> because the documentation is worse than useless, and the interface is not
as
> intuitive as the older games (not to mention that I'm older and slower of
> mind that I used to be). All that being said, here are my problems:

Its a different game mate.

> 1. I listened to the audio messages on the PDAs I've picked up, and one
> gives the combination to the locker downstairs. However, when I enter the
> combination, it tells me it is incorrect. The number I used was 396

check your emails (and those of the PDA's you've picked up)
as well as the audio logs. the codes are pretty easy.

> 2. There does not seem to be a map feature in the PDA the way there was in
> D1/D2. Am I missing it, or does it not exist?

no map, its a shame, but now its time to venture into the unknown.

> 3. I can't seem to find an oxygen mask, so when I walk outside (1st
> mission), I run out of air and am forced to run back inside.

pick up (run over) anything that looks like a canister of air or something -
usually a 'scuba tank' you pick up will give you enough air to get to the
airlock.
(don't panic ffs - there's plenty air available, its a bit weird having a
time limit
for a D2 freak, but you'll get over it :) and it is a bit like diving in
real life - newbies always
wobble when there's a limit on the ole oxygen... :)

> So far, I've made almost no progress and I'm pretty irritated, so much
that
> I walked around the station and shot everyone in the head (I saved first
of
> course). I just feel like the developers were too in love with graphics,
> and make the game WAY too laborious in the beginning. I really don't want
> big drawn out process to play Doom. I want ACTION. The predecessors
> DEFINED action 1st person gaming. I like stories too, but when I sit down
> to play Doom, I have something else in mind.

well, mars city or before is just there to give you a chance to get used to
the environment a little bit -
tell u what - you're Really gonna Hate Imps with a passion... they're a lot
harder than D2 - difference
is u used to be able to wound an imp from distance, and then kill it with a
soft shot - but if I was
an imp, I wouldn't be having that -and now they've wised up a little -
taking an imp out
in D3 is still a 1 shot thing, but now its up close and personal - get the
bastards at close range with a head-shot with your shotgun, and
they'll know about it. They don't care about long-range snipes anymore - I
would also say play around with a few grenades too
and see what they can do as well - you're in for a suprise if u think the
shotgun and machinegun are as effective as they
used to be - give the bad guys some credit, man, they've had 10 years
getting fragged easily in D2, and now they're back, and
they're pissed off... hehe....

Machinegunners and Shotgun soldiers getting you down ? lob 'em a grenade.
hehe...
btw - the only thing your pistol is good for is taking out explosive
barrels, and trites, but be warned, it takes
2 shots per trite and ages to reload your pistol... happy hunting... :)

> Anyway, enough ranting. If anyone can help with teh questions I'd
> appreciated.
>
> Joe
>
> PS - I already know that I'm old and lame, so you won't be telling me
> anything I don't already know.

"Joseph Stevenson" <ikvsabre@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi everyone.
>
> Like most of you, I am an old-time D1/D2 player, and I've been looking
> forward to this one. So far, I've been dissapointed, but that may be
> mostly
> because the documentation is worse than useless, and the interface is not
> as
> intuitive as the older games

What? Point, shoot, use buttons? - very complicated.
The first level is basically exploratory, you get all you need to know if
you poke around at some panels etc..Your reticule will change when you can
use a panel, or the different options on said panel.

> 1. I listened to the audio messages on the PDAs I've picked up, and one
> gives the combination to the locker downstairs. However, when I enter the
> combination, it tells me it is incorrect. The number I used was 396

Are you sure it's the right locker? The audio logs could do with a fast
forward feature as well.
I assume you read the emails also.

> 2. There does not seem to be a map feature in the PDA the way there was in
> D1/D2. Am I missing it, or does it not exist?

No map, but do you really need one. It's pretty linear, apart from some
instances where you back track and some other scripted event occurs.

> 3. I can't seem to find an oxygen mask, so when I walk outside (1st
> mission), I run out of air and am forced to run back inside.
> So far, I've made almost no progress and I'm pretty irritated, so much
> that
> I walked around the station and shot everyone in the head (I saved first
> of
> course). I just feel like the developers were too in love with graphics,
> and make the game WAY too laborious in the beginning. I really don't want
> big drawn out process to play Doom. I want ACTION. The predecessors
> DEFINED action 1st person gaming. I like stories too, but when I sit down
> to play Doom, I have something else in mind.

They are going more for suspense/horror feel rather than gorefest.
It only takes a few minutes before you start shooting zombies, sure a bit
longer when you watch the movies the first time through.
You have to walk a few steps to the other air lock, it's right in from of
you over the bridge!!
If you want to "explore" outside (all 5 square metres of it.) just run,
virtually nothing there to find anyway.

> PS - I already know that I'm old and lame, so you won't be telling me
> anything I don't already know.

Your being lame has nothing to do with your age ;-)

Craig

Actually, I've learned to make better use of the pistol. If a zombie is
approaching me and I have room to back up (to give me a little time before
he reaches me), I switch to the pistol and fire away. That way I can fill
the mindless b**tard and preserve more important ammo. I also use the
pistol on Z-tecs (the guys with the machine guns) to weaken them from a
distance (assuming I have a place to crouch down or duck behind). Then
either rush them with the shotgun or switch to my machine gun. It took me a
few levels, but part of the game is learning how to make the most of each
weapon (I even used my fists on a zombie once when I hit the wrong
key...that was kinda fun in hindsight!) Your PDA offers an inventory of
each weapon you carry and what situations it is best for (e.g., the pistol
is your most accurate weapon at greater ranges while the machine gun is more
accurate at medium range).
Have fun!
Craig

"Craig" <caheaton@netzero.net> wrote in message
> Actually, I've learned to make better use of the pistol. If a zombie is
> approaching me and I have room to back up (to give me a little time before
> he reaches me), I switch to the pistol and fire away. That way I can fill
> the mindless b**tard and preserve more important ammo. I also use the
> pistol on Z-tecs (the guys with the machine guns) to weaken them from a
> distance (assuming I have a place to crouch down or duck behind).

I found those guys the most annoying as they always seemed to hit you,
unless you were close and could strafe around them.
A lean function would have been most useful in those situations.

>Then either rush them with the shotgun or switch to my machine gun. It
took me a
> few levels, but part of the game is learning how to make the most of each
> weapon (I even used my fists on a zombie once when I hit the wrong
> key...that was kinda fun in hindsight!)

Just use the torch on the zombies ;-)

"Blahguy" <z@z.z> wrote in message

> "Craig" <caheaton@netzero.net> wrote in message
> > Actually, I've learned to make better use of the pistol. If a
zombie is
> > approaching me and I have room to back up (to give me a little time
before
> > he reaches me), I switch to the pistol and fire away. That way I
can fill
> > the mindless b**tard and preserve more important ammo. I also use
the
> > pistol on Z-tecs (the guys with the machine guns) to weaken them
from a
> > distance (assuming I have a place to crouch down or duck behind).
>
> I found those guys the most annoying as they always seemed to hit you,
> unless you were close and could strafe around them.
> A lean function would have been most useful in those situations.
>
> >Then either rush them with the shotgun or switch to my machine gun.
It
> took me a
> > few levels, but part of the game is learning how to make the most of
each
> > weapon (I even used my fists on a zombie once when I hit the wrong
> > key...that was kinda fun in hindsight!)
>
> Just use the torch on the zombies ;-)

I set my right mouse button to "Head But".

--
ArWeThick

TRENDING THREADS