Alpha4 Vagary on Vet level

I just got a new 9800 and restarted on veteran level from scratch - I'm
having real
problems despatching the Vagary at the end of alpha4 - I start by lobbing a
grenade at
it, then give it a clip of plasma, followed by a shift of position to the
doorway to the left
of that position near the door - I strafe the bastard with a clip of plasma,
and it writhes about
in the middle of the 'park', then It gets it at clip of chaingun, it worked
on marine level
, but on veteran the bastard still lives - longer than me :( the bastard
keeps getting closer
no matter what I blast it with - then it beats me to death when I'm
reloading - bastard.

I'm used to the doom2 sketch where if you move fast enough, the monsters
don't get that much
of a fix on you, but I can't seem to get out of the way of this damn thing -
D3 seems to be a crawl
in terms of mobility - compared to d2 or even q2 - (I use the mouse for
movement). somebody help
me defeat this bastard bitch and bring on delta at vet level. thx.

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 01:51:11 +0100, "Flying Pig"
<noflying@pigsorspam.com> wrote:

>I just got a new 9800 and restarted on veteran level from scratch - I'm
>having real
>problems despatching the Vagary at the end of alpha4 - I start by lobbing a
>grenade at
>it, then give it a clip of plasma, followed by a shift of position to the
>doorway to the left
>of that position near the door - I strafe the bastard with a clip of plasma,
>and it writhes about
>in the middle of the 'park', then It gets it at clip of chaingun, it worked
>on marine level
>, but on veteran the bastard still lives - longer than me :( the bastard
>keeps getting closer
>no matter what I blast it with - then it beats me to death when I'm
>reloading - bastard.
>
>I'm used to the doom2 sketch where if you move fast enough, the monsters
>don't get that much
>of a fix on you, but I can't seem to get out of the way of this damn thing -
>D3 seems to be a crawl
>in terms of mobility - compared to d2 or even q2 - (I use the mouse for
>movement). somebody help
>me defeat this bastard bitch and bring on delta at vet level. thx.

If I remember right, strafe right to left with the chaingun in Veteran
level. Easier in Nightmare because you can weaken her with the
Soulcube first. The closer you are the more damage the chaingun will
do so get close but don't get 'bit'.

Veteran difficulty I found hard. It took me 3 or 4 tries to get past where
your at.. I think I just unloaded all my chain gun ammo, but still took a
beating. At some points in the game I have changed the difficulty just to
get through.. you can do this with

g_skill #

# beeing 0 to 3. 0 is easy, 3 is nightmare.

Andy.

"Flying Pig" <noflying@pigsorspam.com> wrote in message
> I just got a new 9800 and restarted on veteran level from scratch - I'm
> having real
> problems despatching the Vagary at the end of alpha4 - I start by lobbing
> grenade at
> it, then give it a clip of plasma, followed by a shift of position to the
> doorway to the left
> of that position near the door - I strafe the bastard with a clip of
plasma,
> and it writhes about
> in the middle of the 'park', then It gets it at clip of chaingun, it
worked
> on marine level
> , but on veteran the bastard still lives - longer than me :( the bastard
> keeps getting closer
> no matter what I blast it with - then it beats me to death when I'm
> reloading - bastard.
>
> I'm used to the doom2 sketch where if you move fast enough, the monsters
> don't get that much
> of a fix on you, but I can't seem to get out of the way of this damn
thing -
> D3 seems to be a crawl
> in terms of mobility - compared to d2 or even q2 - (I use the mouse for
> movement). somebody help
> me defeat this bastard bitch and bring on delta at vet level. thx.

> If I remember right, strafe right to left with the chaingun in Veteran
> level. Easier in Nightmare because you can weaken her with the
> Soulcube first. The closer you are the more damage the chaingun will
> do so get close but don't get 'bit'.

thanks for your advice squire, will try giving it the 'good news' with the
chaingun then
retreating while giving it plasma joy.

Angellus" <andy_email2002"NOSPAM"@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> Veteran difficulty I found hard. It took me 3 or 4 tries to get past where
> your at.. I think I just unloaded all my chain gun ammo, but still took a
> beating. At some points in the game I have changed the difficulty just to
> get through.. you can do this with
>
> g_skill #
>
> # beeing 0 to 3. 0 is easy, 3 is nightmare.
>
> Andy.

hey thanx, but I want to see the bastard writhe and die
from my own efforts, not the console's :)

"Flying Pig" <noflying@pigsorspam.com> wrote in message
> I just got a new 9800 and restarted on veteran level from scratch - I'm
> having real
> problems despatching the Vagary at the end of alpha4 - I start by lobbing
> grenade at
> it, then give it a clip of plasma, followed by a shift of position to the
> doorway to the left
> of that position near the door - I strafe the bastard with a clip of
plasma,
> and it writhes about
> in the middle of the 'park', then It gets it at clip of chaingun, it
worked
> on marine level
> , but on veteran the bastard still lives - longer than me :( the bastard
> keeps getting closer
> no matter what I blast it with - then it beats me to death when I'm
> reloading - bastard.
>
> I'm used to the doom2 sketch where if you move fast enough, the monsters
> don't get that much
> of a fix on you, but I can't seem to get out of the way of this damn
thing -
> D3 seems to be a crawl
> in terms of mobility - compared to d2 or even q2 - (I use the mouse for
> movement). somebody help
> me defeat this bastard bitch and bring on delta at vet level. thx.

I gave her two gernades, then finished her off w/plasma on Vet. Had to try
and avioid the rocks she chucks too. Wasn't too hard, but it is harder than
the final boss (?).

kewl