Connecting to 2 houses via wireless?

Hi,

I have a wireless router - that is inside my house, so not much signal
getting outside the 4 walls. There is alos my mate - who owns a hourse
20 odd metres away. The idea is - I get a 1 or 2mb line, and then via
wireless gets access to the line and we share the cost.

Question is - best method. Is it best to create a small ariel that we
can place on the facia boards of our house, that can connect - or what
about 2 aerials in the loft. What wireless equipment would be best - any
websites that have done this before?

Cheers

Scott
6 answers Last reply
More about connecting houses wireless

    Have you got windows facing each other ?
    If so place your wifi on the window sill, your friend can place a usb wifi
    adapter on this window sill and you are in business.
    Failing that placing your wifi in the loft should work too.
    Probably the best wifi routers are Draytek 2600 range, not cheap though.
    I have good results with Orinoco USB adapters, works trough two sets of
    double glazed windows and 75m of space.
    Regards,
    Martin

    We have windows that sort of face each other - but the loft option looks
    better. If we go for the loft otions thats the equipment thats vest.

    I already have a wireless router - so was thinking of placing a wireless
    bridge in my loft. Am I then also to papce a wireless bridge in his loft?
    His main pc is a laptop so was thinking of just putting a wireless
    pcmica card in.

    Scott

    If you have a clear line of sight then you could use a combination of
    HiGain antennas. A combination of 9dBi (omni) and 14dBi(directional)
    could give you a point to point connectivity of approx 1 mile.

    You will need two wireless bridges at two ends to connect antennas.
    The Linksys 54G wireless access point can be used as a bridge also, so
    you can make a link between two buildings.

    Once you hav elink between two locations, you can connect it to the
    local routers at both ends (need not be wireless). This is just one
    option. Another option is to use just an wireless router (or access
    point if you already have a router) and attach a omni directional
    antenna.

    You can find the details of antenna at www.hawkingtech.com or
    www.netgear.com or search for Hi Gain antennas.

    Hope that helps.

    Mine work well trough the windows at acute angle, even though one of the
    windows is leaded.
    Tiled roof will limit the signal.
    Your wifi router *should* do the job, you may have to experiment with
    placing it.
    Standing a right angled card covered with silver foil behind the antenna(s)
    will help direct it towards target.
    USB adapter works better, easily positioned for best signal, higher is
    usually better, half an inch can make difference.
    PCMCIA card may not work if you have weak signal and you can't move the
    laptop.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Use a D-Link DI624 wireless router,
    Through a woodframe wall(gyproc inside, vinyl siding outside), then the
    old maple tree, 60 meters to 2nd building, thru 2 walls of 2nd building
    to a card (DWL G520)in a desktop. Works great, set it up last winter,
    thought the leaves onm the maple tree would be a problem, but works
    fine. No extra attatchments or foil on either end.
    Admittedly, the signal (or "line of sight" )goes thru the walls more or
    less perpendicular

    Cheers
    Ed

    Scott <slewis1972@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message news:<2teq2sF1ukvfiU1@uni-berlin.de>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a wireless router - that is inside my house, so not much signal
    > getting outside the 4 walls. There is alos my mate - who owns a hourse
    > 20 odd metres away. The idea is - I get a 1 or 2mb line, and then via
    > wireless gets access to the line and we share the cost.
    >
    > Question is - best method.

    20 m?

    Is there some reason (a paved road between you, for instance) that you
    can't dig a trench and bury a cable?

Wireless Wireless Router Internet Wireless Networking