BSOD Help

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Blue Screen
  • Dell
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
June 21, 2010 3:58:29 AM

I've BSOD'D twice today on my new refurbished Dell PC while playing Mass Effect 2. Both occasions were spread a couple hours apart and both times I was unable to read the entire error message before my computer automatically restarted. This is a newly bought refurbished Dell and I would like to find out what my best course of action is as quickly as possible.

My specs are:

i5-750
4gb 1333mhz ddr3 ram
640gb sata II
512mb Nvidia 512mb

I know the video card is pretty bad but it could still run ME2 at 20 fps on medium settings... which is playable enough for me.

So what is my best move from here? Should I try to BSOD again and hope to catch what the error is or is there another way possible for me to find out the error. Or should I just contact Dell and ask for an exchange?

More about : bsod

June 21, 2010 11:53:36 AM

That's the problem with refurbished machines. It's kind of like Forest Gump said about a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get.

You could also look in the event logs right after the BSOD (note the time it occurs) and search through the various logs to see if it says anything.

It could be your video card not being able to handle it, or it could be drivers. Have you applied the latest patches to the OS as well as downloaded the latest drivers for your PC, video card, sound card, etc?

It could also be overheating. Maybe the card you are using is overheating? You can monitor the GPU temp with CPUID which you can get at http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html. Run this before running the game, select View->Clear Min/Max Values and play the game for a bit (don't let it BSOD) and then switch to your desktop to see what the min, max and current temps are. I would try to play it for as long as you can before it BSODs.

m
l
June 21, 2010 11:57:16 AM

Run memtest86. Probably RAM. If not that, then probably a shoddy OS install.
m
l
June 22, 2010 2:10:31 AM

isamuelson said:
That's the problem with refurbished machines. It's kind of like Forest Gump said about a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get.

You could also look in the event logs right after the BSOD (note the time it occurs) and search through the various logs to see if it says anything.

It could be your video card not being able to handle it, or it could be drivers. Have you applied the latest patches to the OS as well as downloaded the latest drivers for your PC, video card, sound card, etc?

It could also be overheating. Maybe the card you are using is overheating? You can monitor the GPU temp with CPUID which you can get at http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html. Run this before running the game, select View->Clear Min/Max Values and play the game for a bit (don't let it BSOD) and then switch to your desktop to see what the min, max and current temps are. I would try to play it for as long as you can before it BSODs.

I do have all the patches and updates for my integrated video card and OS. I'm on Windows 7 64bit. However, I am no longer able to access the game, Mass Effect 2. From this point on, what should I do? Should I brush it aside as a one time issue of my video card being unable to run the game, or should i Call up dell and ask for an exchange? Thanks.

Oh and by the way, I ran the windows memory diagonistic test and it found zero issues if that helps.
m
l
June 22, 2010 3:32:27 AM

therealtelos said:
I do have all the patches and updates for my integrated video card and OS. I'm on Windows 7 64bit. However, I am no longer able to access the game, Mass Effect 2. From this point on, what should I do? Should I brush it aside as a one time issue of my video card being unable to run the game, or should i Call up dell and ask for an exchange? Thanks.

Oh and by the way, I ran the windows memory diagonistic test and it found zero issues if that helps.

Aha. Integrated. That there is a kiss of death. Integrated cards are notorious for not performing well. I'm not sure in your case, but you list 512mb of memory but usually, integrated video cards on the motherboards do not have their own dedicated memory like normal GPU cards. They use the system memory, so you're probably running out of memory because you have to share your system memory between the OS and the GPU.

I would suggest getting a dedicated card, especially if you have a PCIe slot for one.
m
l
June 22, 2010 4:05:07 AM

I would hope that is the cause of the blue screen. I'm actually not positive if its integrated, I jsut know its an entry level card. Can I safely assume the low quality card is the reason for the BSOD?
m
l
!