pci express

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
ATI makes a PCI-Express enabled chipset series using an ALi southbridge for the A64. You're just not seeing them yet.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

destroyer

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2004
thx for the info crashman.I've look at asus website to see if they offered one but not yet.and are you saying that the video card makers will adapt to the motherboard thru the pci slot it has? i thought the motherboard had to have a pci express slot on it?also i thought it had to do with the bios on the board.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I said no such thing. I said ATI is making PCI-Express chipsets for motherboards. You know, chipsets, like Intel, nVidia, and SiS make? As in, the thing that controls CPU access to onboard devices?

The boards are in production, they simply haven't reached the market yet. Since I don't work in a motherboard factory, I have no idea how far along the production process is, they might still be making pre-release motherboards for testing.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
Since Abit has a via based PCI-Express enabled board listed on thier website, they should be shipping soon. My money is still on the Ati chipset hitting the ground first.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
ATI shipped their chipsets first, but who knows what boardmakers have actually done with them.

pat

Expert
"I said no such thing. I said ATI is making PCI-Express chipsets for motherboards. You know, chipsets, like Intel, nVidia, and SiS make? As in, the thing that controls CPU access to onboard devices?"

You forget VIA...pffffffffffffff!!!

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
VIA makes shitsets. SiS makes low-end chipsets. Intel and nVidia make high-end chipsets. Past attempts by ATI have been mediocre due to inferior memory controller performance, but since A64's use on-die memory controllers, ATI might actually stand a chance now.