problem installing Doom 3 demo on XP

I've downloaded the zip a couple of times. The first time I
got a CRC error when unzipping. The second file, which I
downloaded from a different site, unzips OK, but during the
install I get an I/O error on the pk4 file (do they call
them wads anymore? <g>). Do I just need to DL this file
again from another site, and can you recommend a reliable
one? Or is there something else going on? I'm running XP
with 512megs RAM, Gforce4 MX480 64meg video card, and plenty
of free disk space.
4 answers Last reply
More about problem installing doom demo
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 18:55:27 -0700, Swingman wrote:

    > I've downloaded the zip a couple of times. The first time I got a CRC
    > error when unzipping. The second file, which I downloaded from a
    > different site, unzips OK, but during the install I get an I/O error on
    > the pk4 file (do they call them wads anymore? <g>). Do I just need to
    > DL this file again from another site, and can you recommend a reliable
    > one? Or is there something else going on? I'm running XP with 512megs
    > RAM, Gforce4 MX480 64meg video card, and plenty of free disk space.

    Hm. Not sure what your problem could be. Have you tried specifying a
    different installation directory than the default? As far as download
    servers go, though, the place I usually download all of my demos are from
    www.3dgamers.com

    The indiana server is usually pretty fast if there's not a million people
    trying to use it at the same time, but that usually only happens the day
    something new is announced.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    >> I've downloaded the zip a couple of times. The first time I got a CRC
    >> error when unzipping. The second file, which I downloaded from a
    >> different site, unzips OK, but during the install I get an I/O error on
    >> the pk4 file (do they call them wads anymore? <g>). Do I just need to
    >> DL this file again from another site, and can you recommend a reliable
    >> one? Or is there something else going on? I'm running XP with 512megs
    >> RAM, Gforce4 MX480 64meg video card, and plenty of free disk space.
    >
    > Hm. Not sure what your problem could be. Have you tried specifying a
    > different installation directory than the default? As far as download
    > servers go, though, the place I usually download all of my demos are from
    > www.3dgamers.com
    >
    > The indiana server is usually pretty fast if there's not a million people
    > trying to use it at the same time, but that usually only happens the day
    > something new is announced.

    I downloaded the file again from 3dgamers.com and the install crashed at the same point. The pk4 file reaches 100% during the install and then the install crashes stating an I/O error. This has got to be a problem with the system, but it's happening on two different computers, both running XP with 512megs RAM and GIG's of free space. I've tried unloading all resident programs before running the install, including antivirus. I'm open to all suggestions at this point. Does anyone know where I can download all the demo files and install them manually?
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    Maybe during the install it picked up your graphics card and pissed itself
    laughing!!!!!

    The I/O error is just a polit way of letting you know this.

    Warty

    "swingman" <victorsacco_nospamers@highstream.net> wrote in message

    >> I've downloaded the zip a couple of times. The first time I got a CRC
    >> error when unzipping. The second file, which I downloaded from a
    >> different site, unzips OK, but during the install I get an I/O error on
    >> the pk4 file (do they call them wads anymore? <g>). Do I just need to
    >> DL this file again from another site, and can you recommend a reliable
    >> one? Or is there something else going on? I'm running XP with 512megs
    >> RAM, Gforce4 MX480 64meg video card, and plenty of free disk space.
    >
    > Hm. Not sure what your problem could be. Have you tried specifying a
    > different installation directory than the default? As far as download
    > servers go, though, the place I usually download all of my demos are from
    > www.3dgamers.com
    >
    > The indiana server is usually pretty fast if there's not a million people
    > trying to use it at the same time, but that usually only happens the day
    > something new is announced.

    I downloaded the file again from 3dgamers.com and the install crashed at the
    same point. The pk4 file reaches 100% during the install and then the
    install crashes stating an I/O error. This has got to be a problem with the
    system, but it's happening on two different computers, both running XP with
    512megs RAM and GIG's of free space. I've tried unloading all resident
    programs before running the install, including antivirus. I'm open to all
    suggestions at this point. Does anyone know where I can download all the
    demo files and install them manually?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    Well, Warty, you may be right, but not according to the game's listed requirements. The Gforce4 MX480 should be OK, however slow it may be. An I/O error with no explanation is not polite, it's confusing. Do you have certain knowledge about this or are you just trying to be funny?

    "Warty" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:4165f98b$1_4@alt.athenanews.com...
    > Maybe during the install it picked up your graphics card and pissed itself
    > laughing!!!!!
    >
    > The I/O error is just a polit way of letting you know this.
    >

    > Warty
    >

    > "swingman" <victorsacco_nospamers@highstream.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>> I've downloaded the zip a couple of times. The first time I got a CRC
    >>> error when unzipping. The second file, which I downloaded from a
    >>> different site, unzips OK, but during the install I get an I/O error on
    >>> the pk4 file (do they call them wads anymore? <g>). Do I just need to
    >>> DL this file again from another site, and can you recommend a reliable
    >>> one? Or is there something else going on? I'm running XP with 512megs
    >>> RAM, Gforce4 MX480 64meg video card, and plenty of free disk space.
    >>
    >> Hm. Not sure what your problem could be. Have you tried specifying a
    >> different installation directory than the default? As far as download
    >> servers go, though, the place I usually download all of my demos are from
    >> www.3dgamers.com
    >>
    >> The indiana server is usually pretty fast if there's not a million people
    >> trying to use it at the same time, but that usually only happens the day
    >> something new is announced.
    >
    > I downloaded the file again from 3dgamers.com and the install crashed at the
    > same point. The pk4 file reaches 100% during the install and then the
    > install crashes stating an I/O error. This has got to be a problem with the
    > system, but it's happening on two different computers, both running XP with
    > 512megs RAM and GIG's of free space. I've tried unloading all resident
    > programs before running the install, including antivirus. I'm open to all
    > suggestions at this point. Does anyone know where I can download all the
    > demo files and install them manually?

Windows XP Video Games