problem installing Doom 3 demo on XP

Last response: in Video Games
October 6, 2004 10:55:27 PM

I've downloaded the zip a couple of times. The first time I
got a CRC error when unzipping. The second file, which I
downloaded from a different site, unzips OK, but during the
install I get an I/O error on the pk4 file (do they call
them wads anymore? <g>). Do I just need to DL this file
again from another site, and can you recommend a reliable
one? Or is there something else going on? I'm running XP
with 512megs RAM, Gforce4 MX480 64meg video card, and plenty
of free disk space.
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 4:34:52 AM

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 18:55:27 -0700, Swingman wrote:

> I've downloaded the zip a couple of times. The first time I got a CRC
> error when unzipping. The second file, which I downloaded from a
> different site, unzips OK, but during the install I get an I/O error on
> the pk4 file (do they call them wads anymore? <g>). Do I just need to
> DL this file again from another site, and can you recommend a reliable
> one? Or is there something else going on? I'm running XP with 512megs
> RAM, Gforce4 MX480 64meg video card, and plenty of free disk space.

Hm. Not sure what your problem could be. Have you tried specifying a
different installation directory than the default? As far as download
servers go, though, the place I usually download all of my demos are from
www.3dgamers.com

The indiana server is usually pretty fast if there's not a million people
trying to use it at the same time, but that usually only happens the day
something new is announced.
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 1:51:39 PM

>> I've downloaded the zip a couple of times. The first time I got a CRC
>> error when unzipping. The second file, which I downloaded from a
>> different site, unzips OK, but during the install I get an I/O error on
>> the pk4 file (do they call them wads anymore? <g>). Do I just need to
>> DL this file again from another site, and can you recommend a reliable
>> one? Or is there something else going on? I'm running XP with 512megs
>> RAM, Gforce4 MX480 64meg video card, and plenty of free disk space.
>
> Hm. Not sure what your problem could be. Have you tried specifying a
> different installation directory than the default? As far as download
> servers go, though, the place I usually download all of my demos are from
> www.3dgamers.com
>
> The indiana server is usually pretty fast if there's not a million people
> trying to use it at the same time, but that usually only happens the day
> something new is announced.

I downloaded the file again from 3dgamers.com and the install crashed at the same point. The pk4 file reaches 100% during the install and then the install crashes stating an I/O error. This has got to be a problem with the system, but it's happening on two different computers, both running XP with 512megs RAM and GIG's of free space. I've tried unloading all resident programs before running the install, including antivirus. I'm open to all suggestions at this point. Does anyone know where I can download all the demo files and install them manually?
October 8, 2004 7:20:11 AM

Maybe during the install it picked up your graphics card and pissed itself
laughing!!!!!

The I/O error is just a polit way of letting you know this.

Warty

"swingman" <victorsacco_nospamers@highstream.net> wrote in message

>> I've downloaded the zip a couple of times. The first time I got a CRC
>> error when unzipping. The second file, which I downloaded from a
>> different site, unzips OK, but during the install I get an I/O error on
>> the pk4 file (do they call them wads anymore? <g>). Do I just need to
>> DL this file again from another site, and can you recommend a reliable
>> one? Or is there something else going on? I'm running XP with 512megs
>> RAM, Gforce4 MX480 64meg video card, and plenty of free disk space.
>
> Hm. Not sure what your problem could be. Have you tried specifying a
> different installation directory than the default? As far as download
> servers go, though, the place I usually download all of my demos are from
> www.3dgamers.com
>
> The indiana server is usually pretty fast if there's not a million people
> trying to use it at the same time, but that usually only happens the day
> something new is announced.

I downloaded the file again from 3dgamers.com and the install crashed at the
same point. The pk4 file reaches 100% during the install and then the
install crashes stating an I/O error. This has got to be a problem with the
system, but it's happening on two different computers, both running XP with
512megs RAM and GIG's of free space. I've tried unloading all resident
programs before running the install, including antivirus. I'm open to all
suggestions at this point. Does anyone know where I can download all the
demo files and install them manually?
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 10:36:08 AM

Well, Warty, you may be right, but not according to the game's listed requirements. The Gforce4 MX480 should be OK, however slow it may be. An I/O error with no explanation is not polite, it's confusing. Do you have certain knowledge about this or are you just trying to be funny?

!