Sign in with
Your question

If your a hardcore gamer what do you use?

Last response: in Video Games
June 22, 2010 1:44:19 AM

Just curious. If your a hardcore gamer are you using a computer, or are you using a gaming console like Xbox or PS3 mostly?

More about : hardcore gamer

June 22, 2010 3:42:30 AM

Custom built computer wins hands down for me.

I find that consoles are very limited and inflexible. With a console, you are limited to stock games (there is very little 3rd party modding ability), an inflexible block of hardware, and essentially a single purpose machine. The XBOX 360 may seem the latest, greatest console from Microsoft, but it is in fact five years old (that's a LONG time in terms of hardware)! I have heard many first hand accounts of people who have a console, get bored with a game, and wish they had the PC version because some awesome third party mod can put new life into the game for them.

There are some advantages that consoles have over personal computers though. Multi-player on the same console is supported more often than not (it is rare to have new games like this on computer), there is never any doubt (unless your console is broken) that games will work or perform well, there is very little scope for things to go wrong with software (although when they do it can be difficult or impossible to fix), there is no installation time, and very little knowledge required to set up the hardware. I have heard some people say that consoles are better because of the controllers, but hey - I have an XBOX 360 controller for my computer, not to mention there are a huge variety of controllers available for computers (everything from steering wheels and joysticks to flight simulator throttle quadrants and train simulator control panels).

While a little know-how is needed to build a computer (I would NEVER recommend buying a pre-built computer from Dell, HP, etc that is advertised as 'built' for 'gaming') and solve any problems that arise, the advantages are almost endless. Primarily (for me), a computer powerful enough to play the latest games will also offer a powerful and fast tool for anything from word processing and internet browsing, to video editing, 3D animation, and music recording. To put icing on the cake, you can do all of these things and more at the same time (multitasking ftw)! Other reasons why I prefer computers are the upgrade-ability and customisation, the infinite possibilities, the better graphics (with the right hardware), and the user-machine relationship that comes from hand selecting and connecting every part.

A custom (gaming) computer will cost considerably more than a console, but the price is well worth it.
m
l
June 22, 2010 7:32:10 PM

Price and age were the main reasons for me using consoles more than PC's for gaming.

My old PC was walking dead (had AGP graphics) so I could not upgrade my graphics at all (I don't really consider moving from a 6800XT to a Radeon 3000 series an upgrade).

so I needed a new MB which precluded getting a new proc. and so on and so forth...it required a full system rebuild.

For the price of a console (which, even 2 years ago I think you could get a 360 for around $250) you can barely make a meaningful upgrade to a PC (Ram or maybe a mid-level proc. is about it)

One thing I'll def. give MS is the Xbox Live experience. It makes playing games with friends so much easier than even the PC, but at the cost of having control such as setting up your own server or booting the hackers / annoying people.
m
l
Related resources
July 13, 2010 12:38:33 AM

g725s said:
Just curious. If your a hardcore gamer are you using a computer, or are you using a gaming console like Xbox or PS3 mostly?

If you have money to burn you can purchase a mainboar with up to 24MB of Ram and 6-8 CPU's. Its like building a server workstation. You can purchase 3-4 graphics cards and hook them up to three monitors. Costs around $2500-$3000 if you build your own computers i found a dream setup of around $1000 justwiting fora new Cpu to come out and a updated DX11 Version of ATIand its finalized! :pt1cable: 
m
l
August 17, 2010 11:19:02 AM

Not just the gaming built PC, The mouse and keyboard,Headphones with mic,Flat screen display

Got the Microsoft x4 keyboard and x3 mouse
m
l
August 17, 2010 12:00:17 PM

I use a PC for most stuff, but I prefer certain games (Action/Sports) on Console.
m
l
August 17, 2010 1:35:16 PM

gamerk316 said:
I use a PC for most stuff, but I prefer certain games (Action/Sports) on Console.

Thats why people have both, Cause some games you can only play on console, Their are joypads for PC's to play those difficult games, depends what you feel like playing at the time
m
l
August 17, 2010 3:04:19 PM

Like others have said, it really comes down to price points. PC does, and will always, give you the best environment to play games in with regards to what you can control. PC will always have better choices with regards to graphics (except maybe the day the console hits), normally more control over the game play (booting hackers, private chat rooms) and more control over how you play (use mouse, joystick, controller). However consoles offer the ease of use which can’t be overlooked. With computers you have to worry about drivers and other miscommunication between hardware/software. Consoles, that’s normally taken care of for you.

Now when you talk about “hardcore”, computers will normally take the hand. You wonder why they don’t match up computers vs consoles in games like CoD? Because computer players play at a much higher level of play. The skill cap is much higher on a computer due to the ability to use external hardware. Example is a mouse that you can change sensitivity on the fly. In fact, Microsoft originally tried pairing Xbox live players vs PC players, but decided against it because average computer players were playing on par or beating what were considered top tier console gamers. Now that’s not to diss console players, but controllers offer only so much freedom when it comes to mapping commands, while a mouse and keyboard offer infinitely more options.

In my mind it comes down to – ease of use vs control of gameplay. In my opinon, the only games that feel more at home on a console are sports games, but that’s just me.
m
l
August 17, 2010 7:47:20 PM

I don't own a gaming console. I only play PC games. That's partially due to the fact I used to play a lot of strategy games (mostly turn based) and space combat simulation games. They are basically non-existent in console. Now I mostly play FPS and space combat sim with a little bit of turn based strategy games.
m
l
August 17, 2010 7:58:24 PM

i mainly use my pc for gaming cause most of my favorite games are for pc and I really cant play with a controller (grew up with a mouse and keyboard).

i do have some older consoles (original xbox and a gamecube) but i haven't really felt the need to get the newer consoles because my tv sucks (13 inch tube tv...)
m
l
August 17, 2010 8:57:50 PM

I'm not even a hardcore gamer anymore just casually play games like BF:BC2, L4D, and a few other games, though i still prefer gaming on a highend PC ($1000+)
m
l
August 18, 2010 3:30:41 PM

I have a ps3, xbox 360, and a gaming pc so this will be unbiased at least from my point of view. I barley use my ps3 only thing I even have it for is GOD OF WAR 3, Prolog, and my old school DIABLO(huge fan) from PS1. My xbox 360 is only used for entertainment purposes like movies from Zune and playing on live with a few friends who have migrated from PC. For everything else I use my pc I still play DIABLO 2 LOD(like I said huge fan), BFBC 2, CODMW 2(not as much I like BFBC2 more), and a lot of RTS games like TOTAL WAR. I guess it depends on your taste of what kind of games you like to play and if you like to use a controller or a keyboard(we all know what we love best). IF your going to go with a pc please build one it just makes you feel better at the end of the day when your playing(personal opinion).
m
l
September 7, 2010 1:37:44 AM

I was a die-hard PC Gamer for 10 years. Things changed in the last month, and I'm starting to switch to console gaming. Why? I'm getting sick of the endless PC upgrade cycle. This mainstream PC cost me $1,200 when I bought it. In the last year, I've had to upgrade the Graphics Card and the RAM. Once games start using 6 core CPU's, I will have to spend another $300+ for one of them. Sure, I could play games at lower settings, but that isn't the point of PC gaming.

This economy is very tight, and I can't afford to keep upgrading this PC. So instead of spending money on more upgrades, I bought an Xbox 360 Elite. There is no upgrade cycle, no system requirements and no messing with drivers and settings. All I do is buy the game and play it. I gotta say, it feels damn good. I will still use this PC for games like Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3, but from now on, it's console gaming for me.
m
l
September 7, 2010 1:49:57 AM

After 2 1/2 months, where is the OP?
m
l
September 7, 2010 4:10:25 AM

I think if you want to be a hardcore gamer its more than just having 20days on MW2 because my little brother has that. Hardcore gamer is a person that knows more about the game than whats just going on the screen. Thats why PC gamers are more "hardcore" because they can make the game however they want it whenever they want it, unlike console players have to wait for DLC. PC gamers get way more invested into their computers (customization) and spend a lot more time and money making it personal and for them. PC players spend a lot more time learning about the game and their computers and put a lot more time and effort into their gaming. Im not saying there arent any hardcore console gamers but it would make more sense to be a hardcore PC gamer.
m
l
September 8, 2010 8:01:32 PM

PC Gamer for life here, 95% of the games i play are FPS, Strategy, Casual/Indie and MMORPG - all of which are leagues better on the PC.

How ever, i will give credit where it's due, and that it that Consoles do Sports games so much better. I wish the PC would get a decent NHL or Golf game :-(
m
l
Anonymous
November 12, 2010 9:08:18 AM

I agree with alot of the other posters here that both pc's and consoles are good for specific genres of games but overall i much prefer the pc platform but you really do need to put alot of money into it to enjoy a pc i have personally put $5000 into my current pc and it obliterates anything consoles have to offer in performance and flexibility but it has also left a large smouldering hole in my bank account haha. The only thing i really prefer on consoles is good fast paced rpgs like the Final Fantasy series its pretty much the main reason that i own a PS3. I also would like to mention that one great thing about pc's is the self satisfaction of piecing together your very owned customised beast to play all your favourite games.
My PC's stats are Core i7 940 2.93GHZ, 6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866MHZ RAM 7-8-7-20, Gigabyte GA X58A UD7, EVGA Nvidia GTX 480, G.Skill 128GB SSD,Coolermaster HAF 932,Corsair HX850W PSU,WD 2TB Cavier Black HDD. so yeh i consider myself a "hardcore" gamer and my vote goes to PC
m
l
November 13, 2010 3:19:48 AM

But of course, these days consoles are getting better. Starting with the Wii and now the add ons for xbox and ps3, the hardware may be the same, but the controls are getting awesome, the down side to this is imagine trying to kick above your head if your in your thirties? Whilst a 15 year old would do it and not shed a tear...

I would still prefer a PC (though I do own a Wii)
m
l
November 13, 2010 10:45:45 AM

In my opinion computer overruns all consoles. PCs is just more easier to use and its more versatile than consoles and i rather use mouse+keyboard than console pad cuz i play mostly RTS games. Also most console games are just more expensive than PC games.

Anyway i still own Ps2 and Ps3... They are just brand of modern days.

Lee
m
l
November 14, 2010 1:52:07 PM

hardcore gamer means u play alot of games atr high scores and highest difficulty, playing multiplayer games lot of time.... means u need both pc and console, both have games, both got online feature..means spending more money.... as a hardcore gamer all i can say is both...
m
l
November 14, 2010 7:31:03 PM

I have not owned a console since my early - mid 80's Atari 2600. I loved it but as others have stated a pc is just so much more versitile.
And I've owned about a dozen pcs since 1987 or so.
Dave
m
l
November 14, 2010 11:18:22 PM

I've had a pc and an Xbox 360... I must say, I cannot find a good group of friends to play with on the pc... not to say it's not better, but the social networking on xbl is much better. Plus, seeing as decent rigs are pricey, there are fewer of my friends that can even play pc. However, for Xbox, you pay for every single map pack, every single addon, plus the yearly $60! I think that if you play a lot, it CAN definitely add up quickly, and eventually, it can outweigh the benefits of buying a cheaper console. Finally, I gotta say that pc dominates in graphics!
m
l
November 16, 2010 5:31:30 PM

I mostly just use my PC for any gaming. Like playing the latest like Fallout New Vegas or going back in time with games like Thief or Syndicate, the PC is my top pick.

There are console only titles which give me plenty of reason to still play them. I just bought the Undead Nightmare pack on PS3 for Red Dead Redemption. I've been doing legendary tricks on the Xbox 360 version of Skate 2. And then there is the PS2 that I still play SSX3 and Tekken 5 on.

I would perfer having everything on one system with a range of different gamepads but sadly I don't have that choice. Then again there are emulators if your into that.
m
l
November 24, 2010 5:38:50 PM

g725s said:

buddy i used to play on PC.Because PC gives better graphics as compared to Xbox 360 n PS3.High-end PC gives stunning graphics.
N this is also one the factor due to which most hardcore gamers choose PC
Then u can do amendments/modifications in PC.
On PC u have larger scope.
U can add mods to games in PC
PC is best but Xbox 360 n PS3 has their own advantages.
Usually games used to release late on PC.

But surely i will prefer PC n i love to play on keyboard.
m
l
November 24, 2010 10:10:26 PM

I would say PC, I love the freedom you get and I could never get the hang of playing FPS games using a joypad after I had used a mouse.
A few friends and I had this debate not so long ago, they had played on the PS3 and Xbox for a few years and they had tried PC gaming but what they said was that it didn't feel like they were playing games, they said it was more of a laborious task, which is why they much prefer playing on consoles, it's more of a plug and play thing.
I love the stunning graphics PC offer, but the constant updating cycle is a drag, even though there's nothing like unboxing a new piece of hardware, paying for it isn't as fun.
I play a lot of modern games (can't wait for Crysis 2 and Mass Effect 3) but I don't think much beats playing Half-Life 2 through using Garry's Mod and jibbing the hell out of everything with a shovel, it just doesn't get much better than that [:aford10:4]
m
l
November 29, 2010 11:09:54 PM

Usually hardcore gamers play on PC since all the options and benefits listed above, add those points with the recent Tomshardware article stating that the PC is already a generation ahead of consoles, its easy to see why.
Sure you will have to eventually upgrade your PC to meet the specs of games but its worth it, besides console gamers have to upgrade as well, maybe not as often but they are also not getting as good of an experience.
m
l
November 30, 2010 9:08:41 PM

I did have an xbox360 but pc just done so much better :)  I do use a ps3 mind.. some games like GT5 are just not possible on a pc thanks to that little Cell BE :D  half/half for pc and ps3 :) 
m
l
December 2, 2010 6:40:17 AM

I wrote an article on this a few years back when the PS3 and 360 were both new. It still holds true though so here it is:

Any truly hardcore gamer will tell you that having a gaming PC is what make you an elite game. The technology involved in gaming rigs is, at best, far better than any of the console systems out there but not always for the reasons baby-gamers consider. The truth is that if you have a top of the line gaming PC you are a step above the console gamer for a few important reasons. Graphics are not the most important aspect of gaming, but the PC kills here too. The online content and community for games is the best on PC. Console exclusives are often shipped to PC as well. Online gaming, like killing your friends over and over agin, is best done on the PC. The controller has nothing compared to the mouse/keyboard controls.

So then why is the console market so huge? Price. While people complain about the cost of the PS3 they should take a step back and see how much a system with comparable specs costs. If your going to go all out and get the best you can in a computer system your going to spend at least 3 times as much as an 80gig PS3. The reason your going to spend so much is because the technology is made for more than just gaming. The best gaming rig out there does way more than just play games. The best gaming rig is an entire media center. You can play games, watch movies, listen to music share photos, browse the web. And if you know what your doing the PC pays for itself in terms of free stuff you would normally have to pay for. Take into consideration the user-mod community for popular games and you are also getting free content for your games, keeping an otherwise old game fresh. But consloes are breaking ground here, quickly catching up to the PC on many fronts. So what does the PC have to offer gamers that the consoles dont?

1) Mods. Games on the PC have a long history of user created mods that change the game in many ways. Some add new content or change sounds while others completely remake the game into a new one. Games like Unreal Tournament 3 are showing us that the consoles can offer this as well, but the fact is that the PC will always be the easiest to do this with and will always offer the best options.

2)Online play. The latest generation of consoles has made it clear that they finally realize the importance of playing online. They are also making efforts to encourage a strong sense of community but the truth is that the PC is better at this as well. Accessing community sites for your favorite games is easier on the PC, and can be done while playing the game in question.

3) Multimedia. The PC will always be king here. The amount and variety of content the PC can utilize is far more impressive than that of any console. This is due in large part to the fact that the PC is designed to do this type of thing from the start. Even a dedicated gaming rig will be able to play any video or music file with ease, provided you have the proper codec which is easy to obtain for free.

4) Control and customization. The PC OS (operating system) can be changed to work as you like. Everything from the look to the functionality of the PC can be changed in a variety of ways, even made to look like another OS. Consoles offer some bare bones options but again the PC is light years ahead. Yes, it is possible to put a different OS on the PS3, i am aware of that, but it is clunky and pointless at best. It may be possible on the 360 as well, i have never done it so i can not confirm or deny.

5) Map editors and the like. PC games often come with programs to change and /or create content. While some console games offer this it is much easier with the PC and is more widely available with the PC as well.

6) Odds and ends. The PC absolutly reigns supreme for those who want more bang for their buck. The assortment of other functions on the PC far out weigh those of any console. Word programs, tax helpers, chat and IM, bit torrent, extra content all combine to make the PC the best option for people who want a good deal more from their systems.

Ok, so we can all see now how the PC is superior in many ways, now let us take a look at how it is not.

1) Exclusives. While we are seeing more and more console titles making it to the PC (particularly with microsoft games for windows) there are still plenty that are console only. Games like Zelda, Mario, God of War, Heavenly Sword, and many others will never make it to the PC since they are developed by console makers.

2) Cost. I am running a system that costs right around $400. I can play most games but I can not run anything at the absolutly highest settings that was released in the past two years. So I can play Command and Conquer 3, but it does not look as good as it could. In order to play the newest games at the highest setting I would have to invest a few thousand in a system. You can do it for cheaper, yes, but you want to be sure that the next generation of games is not going to require a whole new system. Consoles are far more cost effective if your just going to be playing games.

3) Ease of use. Consoles are easier to use. Some games require yopu to install a portion of the game on current consoles, PC games ALWAYS require this. For the casual user this can get confusing and if there is a problem you may just be stuck and in need of serious help.

4) Used games. If you want to buy used games, saving a few bucks on your gaming, you will want a console. Buying Call of Duty: Black Ops for the PS3, for example, will allow you to jump into an online game no problem. Black Ops for the PC requires a unique CD key for installation, as well as for online play. If you get a used copy (which i should note you can not just go to Game Stop and buy) you will be able to install the game using the key just fine, but trying to use the key for online play is impossible if the pervious owner already used it. Also game retailers do not sell used PC games for this reason and others.

5) Mobility. Unless you have an insanely powerful laptop then the console is the easiest to take with you. I am excluding handhelds like the PSP and DS for obvious reasons here. The PC is a big and bulky thing (unless it is expressedly created not to be) with many components. Taking the 360 or Wii with you is just easier.

6) Multiplayer. PC rules the online gaming circle, but falls flat on it’s face otherwise. While online gaming is the best way to play against others from all over the world there is still much to be said for the good old split-screen frag fests we all loved on the N64. Being able to look over and talk smack to your friends as you dominate them is a classic feeling that will never be matched by online fragging, never. While this option is becoming less available in favor of online gaming i still love to sit down with 3 friends and fire up the N64 for some Perfect Dark marathon frag fests.

So in closing the PC has a lot going for it, but consoles have good reason to be on top of the gaming market. So the short list: PC VERSUS CONSOLES

Pros:

*Mods keep games playable longer.

*Online play is better on the PC.

*More than just gaming.

Cons:

*Price for a good system.

*Lack of some of the best games.

*Little or no multiplayer without internet.
m
l
December 2, 2010 9:46:23 AM

^Multimedia now is a yes but back in 2006 i hope yo didn't put it up there for the pc..?
+1
m
l
December 2, 2010 4:23:39 PM

Manji022 said:

Pros:

Mods are a HUGE plus for PC gaming. Many PC games live on long after there no more official support because of mods that add so much to a game for free. And more often then not they make the game so much better than vanilla.
m
l
December 2, 2010 5:25:58 PM

PC for me

Had a 360, then I saw all the mods for oblivion. Build my own PC for gaming and shortly after fell in love and sold the 360. Plus its easier to get passed glitches on the pc :) 
m
l
December 2, 2010 7:02:18 PM

I did include multimedia from the start, the PC has always been better than consoles for such things. The only current gen system that really compares now is the PS3. The PC was capable of multimedia in 2006, at least far better than a system and the article was supposed to be a comparison piece, so it is valid.

I had a 360, a PS3, a Wii, and my PC for a while. I kept the PS3 and the PC. To be fair I still have the Wii, but it is really just for Wii sports and the hope that Fatal Frame will see a US release.
m
l
December 3, 2010 3:58:40 PM

Dude, look at my name and guess my answer.

However, I'm considering buying a PS3 over the holidays...as my entertainment system (not so much as MY gaming device). I'm getting it for the Blue Ray, the digital downloads, and for games like Little Big Planet (moreso for my girlfriend).
m
l
December 6, 2010 11:41:05 PM

Manji022 said:
I wrote an article on this a few years back when the PS3 and 360 were both new. It still holds true though so here it is:

Any truly hardcore gamer will tell you that having a gaming PC is what make you an elite game. The technology involved in gaming rigs is, at best, far better than any of the console systems out there but not always for the reasons baby-gamers consider. The truth is that if you have a top of the line gaming PC you are a step above the console gamer for a few important reasons. Graphics are not the most important aspect of gaming, but the PC kills here too. The online content and community for games is the best on PC. Console exclusives are often shipped to PC as well. Online gaming, like killing your friends over and over agin, is best done on the PC. The controller has nothing compared to the mouse/keyboard controls.

So then why is the console market so huge? Price. While people complain about the cost of the PS3 they should take a step back and see how much a system with comparable specs costs. If your going to go all out and get the best you can in a computer system your going to spend at least 3 times as much as an 80gig PS3. The reason your going to spend so much is because the technology is made for more than just gaming. The best gaming rig out there does way more than just play games. The best gaming rig is an entire media center. You can play games, watch movies, listen to music share photos, browse the web. And if you know what your doing the PC pays for itself in terms of free stuff you would normally have to pay for. Take into consideration the user-mod community for popular games and you are also getting free content for your games, keeping an otherwise old game fresh. But consloes are breaking ground here, quickly catching up to the PC on many fronts. So what does the PC have to offer gamers that the consoles dont?

1) Mods. Games on the PC have a long history of user created mods that change the game in many ways. Some add new content or change sounds while others completely remake the game into a new one. Games like Unreal Tournament 3 are showing us that the consoles can offer this as well, but the fact is that the PC will always be the easiest to do this with and will always offer the best options.

2)Online play. The latest generation of consoles has made it clear that they finally realize the importance of playing online. They are also making efforts to encourage a strong sense of community but the truth is that the PC is better at this as well. Accessing community sites for your favorite games is easier on the PC, and can be done while playing the game in question.

3) Multimedia. The PC will always be king here. The amount and variety of content the PC can utilize is far more impressive than that of any console. This is due in large part to the fact that the PC is designed to do this type of thing from the start. Even a dedicated gaming rig will be able to play any video or music file with ease, provided you have the proper codec which is easy to obtain for free.

4) Control and customization. The PC OS (operating system) can be changed to work as you like. Everything from the look to the functionality of the PC can be changed in a variety of ways, even made to look like another OS. Consoles offer some bare bones options but again the PC is light years ahead. Yes, it is possible to put a different OS on the PS3, i am aware of that, but it is clunky and pointless at best. It may be possible on the 360 as well, i have never done it so i can not confirm or deny.

5) Map editors and the like. PC games often come with programs to change and /or create content. While some console games offer this it is much easier with the PC and is more widely available with the PC as well.

6) Odds and ends. The PC absolutly reigns supreme for those who want more bang for their buck. The assortment of other functions on the PC far out weigh those of any console. Word programs, tax helpers, chat and IM, bit torrent, extra content all combine to make the PC the best option for people who want a good deal more from their systems.

Ok, so we can all see now how the PC is superior in many ways, now let us take a look at how it is not.

1) Exclusives. While we are seeing more and more console titles making it to the PC (particularly with microsoft games for windows) there are still plenty that are console only. Games like Zelda, Mario, God of War, Heavenly Sword, and many others will never make it to the PC since they are developed by console makers.

2) Cost. I am running a system that costs right around $400. I can play most games but I can not run anything at the absolutly highest settings that was released in the past two years. So I can play Command and Conquer 3, but it does not look as good as it could. In order to play the newest games at the highest setting I would have to invest a few thousand in a system. You can do it for cheaper, yes, but you want to be sure that the next generation of games is not going to require a whole new system. Consoles are far more cost effective if your just going to be playing games.

3) Ease of use. Consoles are easier to use. Some games require yopu to install a portion of the game on current consoles, PC games ALWAYS require this. For the casual user this can get confusing and if there is a problem you may just be stuck and in need of serious help.

4) Used games. If you want to buy used games, saving a few bucks on your gaming, you will want a console. Buying Call of Duty: Black Ops for the PS3, for example, will allow you to jump into an online game no problem. Black Ops for the PC requires a unique CD key for installation, as well as for online play. If you get a used copy (which i should note you can not just go to Game Stop and buy) you will be able to install the game using the key just fine, but trying to use the key for online play is impossible if the pervious owner already used it. Also game retailers do not sell used PC games for this reason and others.

5) Mobility. Unless you have an insanely powerful laptop then the console is the easiest to take with you. I am excluding handhelds like the PSP and DS for obvious reasons here. The PC is a big and bulky thing (unless it is expressedly created not to be) with many components. Taking the 360 or Wii with you is just easier.

6) Multiplayer. PC rules the online gaming circle, but falls flat on it’s face otherwise. While online gaming is the best way to play against others from all over the world there is still much to be said for the good old split-screen frag fests we all loved on the N64. Being able to look over and talk smack to your friends as you dominate them is a classic feeling that will never be matched by online fragging, never. While this option is becoming less available in favor of online gaming i still love to sit down with 3 friends and fire up the N64 for some Perfect Dark marathon frag fests.

So in closing the PC has a lot going for it, but consoles have good reason to be on top of the gaming market. So the short list: PC VERSUS CONSOLES

Pros:

*Online play is better on the PC.

*More than just gaming.

Cons:

*Price for a good system.

*Lack of some of the best games.

*Little or no multiplayer without internet.

Thank you for a great response. And my favorite EA Sports games Madden and TW are no longer available for the PC. Still I use my PC for more than gaming so I will continue with PC gaming.
Thanks again,
Dave
m
l
December 7, 2010 9:10:28 PM

I prefer the PC, not just because of the better graphics etc, but also because I love to tinker with it. I like doing all the work on my rig myself. I mean, who doesn't get goosebumps when he's installing that brand new $200+ GPU? That's something I can't get from a console.

Also I like mods a lot. They can improve on a games weak points and polish them, or fix some things or add some or even change the way a game plays.
m
l
December 7, 2010 9:31:53 PM

I love that feeling... its crazy :) 
m
l
December 9, 2010 1:33:43 AM

Quote:
Thank you for a great response. And my favorite EA Sports games Madden and TW are no longer available for the PC. Still I use my PC for more than gaming so I will continue with PC gaming.
Thanks again,
Dave

No problem, I am something of a gamer so I am glad to help.

Quote:
However, I'm considering buying a PS3 over the holidays...as my entertainment system (not so much as MY gaming device). I'm getting it for the Blue Ray, the digital downloads, and for games like Little Big Planet (moreso for my girlfriend).

I love my PS3 and Little Big Planet is a seriously great game. Past the little kid friendly exterior is a VERY deep creation system that will keep you busy for a VERY long time. Also I forgot to add to the article that PS3 now has Bluray 3D playback. +1 for that.
m
l
December 10, 2010 3:50:44 AM

See- IF U R A GAME FREAK THEN U USE A CUSTOM-BUILT PC!!! XBOX 360, PS 3 OR OTHER GAMING DEVICES R NOT FOR HARDCORE GAMING!!!!!!!!!!! PC WINS!!
m
l
December 10, 2010 12:56:15 PM

Pro of console - No capslock key.
m
l
December 10, 2010 2:37:40 PM

^ soo true. but at the same time, on console, these kids get mics... thats the one thing I don't like about pc, fewer people have mics. But at least those who do are mature.
m
l
December 10, 2010 7:09:30 PM

Nothing beats customizing a PC!!!

BEFORE you buy a console, you will only decide on what console you will buy and you probably have 3 choices (Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii), if your a hardcore gamer, its only PS3 or Xbox 360 becasue Wii is intended for casual gamers.
BEFORE you buy a PC, you will have a lot of things to think about, First you have the budget, then the specs, the parts, the cooling system, the bottle necking, the software, additional controlers, theres so much to think about that its a game itself.

ONCE you have the console that you want, you will only think of the game that you want to play.
ONCE you have your PC, you think about games, direct x, mods, chipset upgrade, driver upgrade, parts upgrade, upgrade, upgrade, upgrade..so much to do..not just for those you a lot to spend, a tight budget is better cause you need to balance your budget with the performance of your PC. Much like playing an RPG. Once you level up, do you add a pts to Str? or Dex? or Magic? Will you buy Heavy armor? or Light Armor with +1 on your Agi? You know what I mean right? LOL
m
l
December 13, 2010 2:42:27 PM

Console for me, even though I'm building my first PC now.
I'm sticking to the more popular FPS games for consoles though, and all sports games

PC for mainly RTS and RPG game
m
l
December 17, 2010 12:23:40 AM

Manji022 said:
Also I forgot to add to the article that PS3 now has Bluray 3D playback. +1 for that.

This true, however it is a low end bluray player, working at 60Hz or MHz (cant remember) whilst a quality player will run above 100, up to 120. This means that you may not actually get much benefit from the bluray player when it comes to movie playback. To be honest, the picture quality i get from my regular dvd player is so good, i cant justify the high price for a bluray disc, let alone the player!

m
l
!