Wireless Network Security help

Hello,

I have a XP mshome network thru a hub with one attached via a wireless
gateway which also is a gateway to the Internet.

I have tested security from the internet and the firewall is fine and my
network can't be seen however..

I had a friend over with his wireless laptop and he was able to get to
my network via Network Places etc. I had to tell him the network name,
still it registered as insecure. He was able to get to my folders.

In Network properties I set the Wireless connection using the WEP with
windows giving the security number automatically and it says it is
secure, but obviously isn't.

How do I secure my wireless network with XP?

Thanks

Rock
4 answers Last reply
More about wireless network security help

    Rock <1940@pobox.com> wrote in news:417253ad$0$23895$afc38c87
    @news.optusnet.com.au:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a XP mshome network thru a hub with one attached via a wireless
    > gateway which also is a gateway to the Internet.
    >
    > I have tested security from the internet and the firewall is fine and
    my
    > network can't be seen however..
    >
    > I had a friend over with his wireless laptop and he was able to get to
    > my network via Network Places etc. I had to tell him the network name,
    > still it registered as insecure. He was able to get to my folders.
    >
    > In Network properties I set the Wireless connection using the WEP with
    > windows giving the security number automatically and it says it is
    > secure, but obviously isn't.
    >
    > How do I secure my wireless network with XP?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Rock

    Some of it may help on the wireless.

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/wireless_secure.htm

    The more important thing, since the person was able to get to your
    folders is to secure or *harden* the XP O/S to attack. Things like using
    Authenticated User on shares, disable and remove the *Everyone* account
    off all folders etc. etc.

    http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php

    Duane :)

    > In Network properties I set the Wireless connection using the WEP with
    > windows giving the security number automatically and it says it is
    > secure, but obviously isn't.
    >
    > How do I secure my wireless network with XP?

    To me, it doesn't sound like an XP issue, but a wireless access point
    setup issue. Did you access your wireless access point setup page and
    correctly set up the WEP and encryption password?

    Ed

    On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 21:10:12 +1000, Rock <1940@pobox.com> wrote:

    >I have a XP mshome network thru a hub with one attached via a wireless
    >gateway which also is a gateway to the Internet.

    I have no idea what a "gateway" implies. Could you disclose the amke
    and model number of the device? If it's simply an access point, and
    NOT a router, your only security will be the WEP key. Do you have WEP
    enabled? If not, you don't have any security.

    >I have tested security from the internet and the firewall is fine and my
    >network can't be seen however..

    Well, if whatever device you're calling a gateway is configured to
    pass everything to your computah, and you have a "personal firewall"
    running on your XP box, an external port scan will show that you're
    safe.

    Incidentally, did you install XP SP2?

    >I had a friend over with his wireless laptop and he was able to get to
    >my network via Network Places etc. I had to tell him the network name,
    >still it registered as insecure. He was able to get to my folders.

    That's different. If your "gateway" device happens to be a router, it
    will show as secure (no open ports) from the internet. However, your
    friend is not entering from the internet. He's entering via the
    wireless LAN on the "protected" side of your router. No amount of
    protection by your gateway, router, or firewall is going to do any
    good keeping someone out of the wireless side of the LAN.

    Think of it this way. A router has two sides. WAN and LAN. The WAN
    part goes to the internet and contains the firewall and NAT protection
    which protects the LAN side. The LAN side has no protection at all
    since the firewall section isn't even involved. Your wireless is on
    the LAN side.

    Also, your friend is not testing your gateway, router, access point,
    or whatever for security. He's testing your laptop. If you connected
    your laptop directly to the internet wia an access point (no router),
    and ran a security scan, it will show your laptop has an insecure
    setup. The purpose of the router/firewall is to protect inherently
    insecure client radios from attack from the internet. They can do
    nothing for an attack from the protected side of the router/firewall.

    >In Network properties I set the Wireless connection using the WEP with
    >windows giving the security number automatically and it says it is
    >secure, but obviously isn't.

    Holdit. There is no "security number". However, there is "get WEP
    key automatically". You don't have a server capeable of delivering
    WEP keys from a LDAP or other server. If you set this to automatic, I
    vaguely recall that Windoze XP pre-SP2 will try to obtain a WEP key,
    fail, and revert to an insecure setting with no encryption.
    Therefore, do NOT select "get WEP key automatically". Set it for
    manual or whatever. Fill in the box with the WEP key (exactly 13
    ascii characters). Make sure your gateway, router, access point,
    whatever, are similarly configured.

    >How do I secure my wireless network with XP?

    Plan A. Install XP SP2. Turn on the Windoze firewall. Verify that
    the firewall settings are fine.

    Plan B. Install XP SP2. Disable the Windoze firewall and install
    some personal firewall product. Norton Firewall, McAffee firewall,
    Kerio, ZoneAlarm, Black Ice, etc.

    Turn off file sharing or setup passwords on shared folders.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    Make sure WEP is enabled on the AP, enter the security keys in both the AP
    and your OS info. He then cant get access to the AP without the proper keys.
    In a hotspot situation, open authentication is used in most cases, so unless
    you hve firewall protection then the likleyhood of someone getting into your
    laptop is greater. Alot of the better APs now offer layer 2 isolation which
    prevents users from seeing each others laptops.
    Also be sure that you hve the latest software image for your ap and driver
    for your nic card.

    With my XP firewall enabled I can see my other computers but they cant get
    to me and I cant get to them.

    "Rock" <1940@pobox.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a XP mshome network thru a hub with one attached via a wireless
    > gateway which also is a gateway to the Internet.
    >
    > I have tested security from the internet and the firewall is fine and my
    > network can't be seen however..
    >
    > I had a friend over with his wireless laptop and he was able to get to
    > my network via Network Places etc. I had to tell him the network name,
    > still it registered as insecure. He was able to get to my folders.
    >
    > In Network properties I set the Wireless connection using the WEP with
    > windows giving the security number automatically and it says it is
    > secure, but obviously isn't.
    >
    > How do I secure my wireless network with XP?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Rock

Wireless Security Internet Wireless Networking