Avast prevents Dead Space from running

I just purchased Dead Space via Steam. When I try to run it, the screen goes black and that's it. If I switch to task manager, I see the Dead Space program running. I've waited over 5 minutes and nothing has happened, so I have to kill the application.

Searching the Steam forums, I found a post where a poster stated Avast shields were stopping the application from running. I went and disabled Avast Internet Security 5.0 on my machine and lo and behold, the application ran!

I've gone into the settings and the only place I could find where I could possibly punch a hole in the security is in the Firewall section where I added the Dead Space executable. This didn't help. The application still hangs unless I turn off Avast.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

System specs listed in my sig and profile.

BTW, all my other Steam and non-Steam games work just fine, including games such as TF2, GTA IV, BF:BC2, etc. Not sure why Dead Space is considered a security risk for Avast.
3 answers Last reply
More about avast prevents dead space running
  1. Figured it out. It was the firewall in Avast. I had to stop the firewall and add an Application Rule to the firewall to allow Dead Space.exe access. Then, I restarted the firewall and viola! It worked!

I did learn something though. With Avast Firewall, if you want to add an application rule, STOP THE FIREWALL! If you don't, when you add the rule, it will not save it.
  2. Its good to know how much we can learn from such little instances that occur every day.
  3. isamuelson said:
    Figured it out. It was the firewall in Avast. I had to stop the firewall and add an Application Rule to the firewall to allow Dead Space.exe access. Then, I restarted the firewall and viola! It worked!

I did learn something though. With Avast Firewall, if you want to add an application rule, STOP THE FIREWALL! If you don't, when you add the rule, it will not save it.

Thanks for the post! I recently switched over to avast, and I was having the same issue. Only with a different game, I knew avast was the culprit, but I haven't had enough time to research it.
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Steam Video Games